1 2 3

#1March 12th, 2009 · 04:26 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
My first gig
Well it was bound to happen!!!
I got my first gig!!!!!! Me and my friend are going to be playing guitar and singing. We'll also have a keyboard on stage for synth effects and possibly a drum machine or something.

We were thinking of doing select parts from Shine On You Crazy Diamond (like Pts 4-the end of 5).

The audience would be people who like classic rock and nothing thats heavily distorted. Classic Rock, Soft Rock, and Blues would what be the main audience goal would be I think.

Theres 2 guitar parts to "Shine On" and we pretty much have gotten the vocals down pretty good.
Its sort of like a talent show thing.

We will be recording it with a couple of video cameras so Ill probably put a link to it on here.

Do you think that Shine On is a good song choice?
#2March 12th, 2009 · 05:09 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
If you like the song, can play it with passion with all your heart and soul, holding nothing back.

Then yes it's a good choice.

Make sure you practice it until you can play it backwards, sideways, and crossways he he

And above all allow lots of time for a sound check, it's important that your happy with the sound.

Look foward to seeing the vid.

Perhaps you could do a dress rehersal and stick it up on the AMP

Denis
#3March 12th, 2009 · 05:46 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Oh yeah when we play it, it bleeds with passion. Yeah its on May 16th so we have about 2 months to get it down perfectly.
We were planning on showing up like an hour to two hours before it starts so we can check all the levels and get all the amps at a good volume before everyone shows up, and it is like a talent show thing, and I don't know when we would be going on (first act, last act, middle...i dunno) but as long as we set up all of our equipment an hour or two before it starts we should be good. (i think)

What do you mean by a dress rehearsal? lol sorry i am basically pretty new to all this.
like a rehearsal recording of the song?
#4March 12th, 2009 · 06:00 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
TheKunadiun wrote…
What do you mean by a dress rehearsal? lol sorry i am basically pretty new to all this.
like a rehearsal recording of the song?

you put on a dress and play the song.. if you can do it perfectly while wearing a dress  in front of people and not make a mistake while they are pointing at you and scratching their heads.... you know you are ready.

ok so that is not really what a dress rehearsal is.. I dress rehearsal is performing your act, just like you would in front of the audience. It's the complete show with the clothes your gonna wear (term came from theater) , talking between songs, the music performance. It encompasses all aspects of the show,... even setting up and tearing down the amps, and all equipment should be included.
#5March 12th, 2009 · 08:19 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
lol lol!
i was like hey if we can do it wearing dresses we can do anything!!!

but oh ok cool. we will be doing one of those sometime in april then. thanks for the great ideas and help guys.

we could record the dress rehearsal and put it up here (like denis suggested).
#6March 14th, 2009 · 10:24 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
lol lol!
i was like hey if we can do it wearing dresses we can do anything!!!

but oh ok cool. we will be doing one of those sometime in april then. thanks for the great ideas and help guys.

we could record the dress rehearsal and put it up here (like denis suggested).

Don't buy any cheap old dresses  lol

Look forward to hearing it.

All the best!!!

Denis
#7March 14th, 2009 · 01:11 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
lol
thanks man
...man this takes a lot of practice...
#8March 14th, 2009 · 04:59 PM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
man yes.. i'm excited to hearing this. Win the talent thing for Ampers! aight?
#9March 14th, 2009 · 09:38 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
absolutely!!! for the ampers!!!
#10March 16th, 2009 · 11:19 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I mentioned practice of setting up and tearing gear down in your dress rehearsal because I will relate a story to you ...

We were doing a show at a  fairly large  outdoor event  (about a 50' stage and a large sound company running sound and lights) I won't mention any names     but we were rushed in our set up because the band before us took to long tearing down.  Someone thought they had all cabinets plugged in and they didn't . the stage hand for the sound company just happened to stick the mic in front of the cabinet that was mistakenly not plugged in. thus the guitar (integral part of the music) was never in the mix for the first couple of songs... needless to say it was not a stellar show because of this...

everything is a learning experience though .. I can tell you it never happened again. lol
#11March 16th, 2009 · 12:57 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Don't forget spare Strings/pics/leads etc etc!!!! On my first gig [think I was 18], I forgot my normal med plectrum, only had a very stiff plectrum, broke two strings, had no spare, RAN AWAY FROM THE VENUE VERY QUICKLY...lol

I've got Spares now coming out of my ear holes..lol Mind you I don't do live performances anymore, simply because I like to produce from home more, but I've still got my spares...lol

Cheers

Denis
#12March 16th, 2009 · 01:38 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Yeah we are going to be going over to the place sometime this week to check it out and try everything out so hopefully we wont have any major problems. Yeah we will be bringing lots of spare everything. I dont have a backup amp...but my amp is pretty reliable. I have had no problems with it. (its a class a tube amp.)

Thanks for your care and help and suggestions everyone!! your the greatest!!!
#13March 17th, 2009 · 10:13 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Hey guys I had another question about this gig...
What would you recommend that would make the audience kind of feel included, and really make them like the whole performance a lot more than usual?
#14March 17th, 2009 · 10:34 AM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
ah, the great gig in the sky
hm... im not sure how my title applys i just thought pink floyd went here man...

this is every musicians problem..

finding some part of their act

that really reaches out to the audience

something that seperates there

performance

from just another band....

When me some guys got together

to play at a party function thing..

we had a few "pocket songs"

that is songs we knew the crowd would REALY

react to...

our main one was a version of linkin parks bleed it out

where we got a well known rapper

in our school to rap kenya west's - stronger

as like a break in the song...

hahah i ran the synth and vocal efects in the background

i think i used that voice tube like once

haha
#15March 17th, 2009 · 07:59 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
re: ah, the great gig in the sky
DowntownSasquatch wrote…
hm... im not sure how my title applys i just thought pink floyd went here man...

dude...pink floyd applys everywhere man!!! lol
(as i read your title i chuckled to myself...lol....good times.)

thanks for your tips and everything man. ill see you on the dark side of the moon
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 8:09 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.