1 2

#1January 19th, 2009 · 02:30 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
get inspired by something. have a huge feeling that you feel needs to be explained or shown to the world and come up with a blazing guitar riff and freaking awesome lyrics and you got yourself a song
#2January 19th, 2009 · 05:57 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
or  just start writing songs.. they aren't all gonna be masterpieces , but the more you write the better you'lll get cause you'll get bored writing everything sounding the same and you will learn more chords and chord progressions and more things to add into a song ect.  till one day your a very good songwriter.
#3January 19th, 2009 · 06:04 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
and try and record them, so you can hear back what you wrote, and you can hear what things work and what doesn't..
#4January 19th, 2009 · 07:48 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Write stories.
#5January 20th, 2009 · 12:44 AM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
I always like to start with a hook...  I would say, come up with either a catchy phrase or a catchy progression... A play on words always gets my attention similar to country songs... But from there I always build around it... Start with a basic drum beat to capture the rhythm... then come in with a bass line... something basic that adds depth to the lower end... by this time my creative juices are flowing... Ill start layering up with more percussion... hi hats, congas, toms, rides... things like that... then fill the sides in with pad type stuff... I used to be strong on giving my pads more of a lead position but have moved on to bass lines... its up to you...  I'm still working on leads really... but I'll get there... its different for everyone... I've heard artist say that they can't sit down to produce unless they know what they are wanting to do... others say they sit down and just start plucking away... I fall into the latter category.  Sound experimentation is always a good tool as well... ill take a sound or a loop or something.. a vocal, anything and then start running effects on it... and just start playing with all the knobs... more times than not I get inspired with what i'm doing and take off from there... anyway... thats what I do... good luck!
#6January 20th, 2009 · 01:47 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
A keyboard should do for starters. There's a bass, pads, drums (!) and lead instruments like piano etc so you can definately put some song ideas together. Actually, a keyboard is a really cool tool to begin with because you can make arrangements right from the start. Does it have an onboard sequencer? If so that would be the perfect start to construct your songs. Hook it up to your computer and use recording software (like Audacity) to record the arrangements you've made, and then sing to it on another track and you've got a song. Most importantly is to just do it, don't be shy - we all had to start some time.. You'll learn the most by just doing it - as you get used to the process you will get more efficient, faster, better etc. Good luck!
#7January 20th, 2009 · 10:21 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
hooks are overrated
Just do it...  just write... for me, it's more about hte music than the lyrics.. The music tells me what lyrics should be there.... I don't write the music.. it seriously writes itself.. I just let it flow...

I grab my guitar, or whatever instrument handy.. and start just noodling... what comes out is what comes out..

Once I have the music, I listen, and the words just flow right into it...  not much thinking goes into it..

So, the best advice I could give is don't Overthink it.. oh, and hooks aren't really overrated, I just said that to be a PITA

JimK
#8January 20th, 2009 · 01:09 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
You sound to me like you could do with some inspiration.
I dont really know where you'd find some, but it's out there somewhere if you want it!
Some people walk across hills, others sit in a bar, some take mind expanding drugs and others meditate or stay up till late (when it's quiet-you can hear more!).
It's whatever puts your whatever in the right perspective at the time!
And to me poetry/lyrics are a putting of thoughts and emotions in perspective.........into some perspective at least.
Yet as has been said above when you have the music for a song , the words will come out as you play and listen,
think of the Beatles You say hello ...... an inspirational song but it's only 'hellos' and 'goodbyes'.
Happy hunting.
#9January 20th, 2009 · 05:41 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Songwriting
KIS

Keep It Simple

Fish
#10January 20th, 2009 · 05:54 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: Songwriting
swordfish wrote…
KIS

Keep It Simple

Fish

I thought it was KISS...

Keep It Simple, Stupid!
#11January 20th, 2009 · 06:07 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Songwriting
yes it is but was being polite haha

#12January 21st, 2009 · 07:11 PM
1 threads
7 posts
United States of America
okay...
say im reading a good book, like one that is really compelling and i am so hooked i cant put it down, i try and think of background music for it, it usually really inspires me, and i come up with something awesome..try it
#13January 22nd, 2009 · 10:27 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I just finished reading Lord of the Flies and holy crap that was something. I got super inspired to do a song about how people/government are inside when they are left alone and left to control themselves...
Things dont turn out that well...
#14January 22nd, 2009 · 04:38 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
hey tarus.... I need a job... perhaps I am the one you may pay for some good songwriting ideas. I know the C scale right now and can work with it.
#15January 23rd, 2009 · 03:25 AM
24 threads / 15 songs
160 posts
United States of America
dude just keep writing songs! and look at the lyrics of your favorite songs. Just read them, ask some questions maybe (y do i like them? wat was the writer feeling, etc), or redo lyrics of some songs. Study them, it's fun! You can appreciate more about song writing and stuff.
1 2

Server Time: May 7th, 2024 · 7:44 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.