#1November 23rd, 2008 · 06:01 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
First Live Show?
We're having a little talent contest in the town I go to University at.

I really want to audition because I think I stand a chance of doing well, but I've never preformed live before. If anyone's followed my progress since I first started posting songs here then they'll see that I've gotten more confident with my singing due to people's generally positive comments . (thanks guys!) Nerves are one of my main problems still though.. I'm fine performing with someone else (done it once), but on my own I've never done it before.

Also what song do you guys think I should perform? It would have to be an acoustic version of whatever you pick. If you're reading this and haven't listened to any of my songs before then please have a listen to a few if you have the time (songs like "Come Home" (Don't Come Home),  "Back to Me", "Second best to you") and tell me which one you think you like the best after only 1 listen. I want to get the best reaction from people as soon as possible in the song so a song that takes a few listens for you to like probably wouldn't work :/.

Or should I do a cover song? Any songs you think would suit my voice / style?

Also equipment for the performance - apparently we have 1 microphone. Where should I position that? If I'm singing and play guitar?

Thanks guys.
#2November 23rd, 2008 · 06:55 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Honestly
If your going to do it, go with something like a Dylan song.. It's well known, and well received... Only do your own original material if you make it past the first round, and if the venue calls for it.. Not all contests will do well with original material... who are the judges? Are they someone looking for original artists? or cover bands? or just talent in general? ..  When in doubt, Always go with something the public knows...  Dylan will fit your voice, also Neil Young... or is it more young music? If they are looking for newer styled music, you could go with stuff like the Old crow medicine show, Chris Thile..  These are a bit mroe obscure but very well recieved.. Or do your own very off beat version of some other song... By changing a song completely, and taking a song normally not acoustic and making it acoustic that goes over well...

Whatever you decide, it has to be something you are comfortable with...  And something you feel confident with..

JimK
Main thing about nerves is just remember, your supposed to have fun.. so have fun.. Don't worry what they think.. Just do it... and to hell with everyone..
#3November 24th, 2008 · 02:04 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Well yah what Jim said... Go for a song that you feel more comfortable with, only you know what you can do best, and what you think will work best. Go over all your options and think - imagine - what it would be like on stage, with the people's response. Imagine wildly, best case scenarios and worst case scenarios all round, till you balance out. See things in perspective to get rid of the nerves.... And know your stuff! (practice)

Anyway, mic positioning. Assuming that you will play 1 guitar and sing 1 voice, and you have 1 mic, make sure there is a chair to sit on. Have the mic approx. 25 cm away on chest height (below shoulder height) mor or less pointing toward the right side of your body - so it's also hanging before the guitar body if you're right handed. Then you can slightly angle forward to sing into the mic while it's picking up the guitar pretty well.

That's all I can say.. Goodluck!
#4November 25th, 2008 · 04:39 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tips guys!

The audition is in front of a few people that are organising the show a week on Wednesday!

I'll let you know how I do!

I think I'm gonna just record myself playing a few songs then listen back and decide which one sounds best!

Thanks!

#5November 26th, 2008 · 05:04 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
ps. depending on the quality of the mic, the p/a and the amount of people in the room, the mic can be placed further away. I my other post I imagined a noisy place with a easily feedbacking mic so if that's the case then place it as close by as possible. Otherwise, it can be a bit further away. But you'll see when you get there.. Cheers.
#6November 26th, 2008 · 07:17 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Are they supplying a P.A. ?  If so they will probably have some mics you can use.  That said bring mics and cords  2 would be best but if only  1 then  set it up where it will pick up the guitar from the soundhole and where you can sing into it with a good signal. ..
#7December 3rd, 2008 · 04:47 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

The performance was tonight.

Went really good actually, it was the first time I'd played live and I really enjoyed it!!

I wanna go and play more live shows now!!

I dunno what a P.A is but they did infact have 2 mics, one normal one for my voice and then he setup a different kind of one for the guitar? My new guitar sounded really good actually . I'm happy .

I ended up performing a song by Dan Scotty:

http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/6902.html

I've contacted him on myspace and he said it was ok for me to perform it, so that's when I decided I'd perform his song .

Here's a rough recording of it that I just did:

http://www.box.net/shared/49ekvi83kf

I good really do with a good microphone to record guitar and vocals.. anyone got any good ones they can recommend?
#8December 3rd, 2008 · 06:20 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: First Live Show?
Well Done ....................

So ............. Next live gig?????
Glad you enjoyed the experience ........ nothing beats it!!!!!!!

keep us all posted.

Fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 10:12 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.