1 2
#16June 17th, 2009 · 11:41 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Great stuff - both Kings and Mr Very Graffik Fish! (Good site Swordy - very flashy.)
I've just come back from holiday, and have a bit of time to fiddle before going back to work so can have a play with both lots of tools.
Kings - having never used a FTP programme before, I was slightly nervous of what I'd be faced with; but no longer!  I've logged on to my web page using Fileziller, and am even now transferring songs over to a directory on the site.  OK, I still have to see if I can get the MP3 player to actually work by clicking on a song (a feature that Swordy's site does with apparent ease) but all the time I'm trying different things I'm learning more.
Once again, thanks for your help on this one guys
Jim A
#17June 17th, 2009 · 12:04 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Jiminuk wrote…
Great stuff - both Kings and Mr Very Graffik Fish! (Good site Swordy - very flashy.)
I've just come back from holiday, and have a bit of time to fiddle before going back to work so can have a play with both lots of tools.
Kings - having never used a FTP programme before, I was slightly nervous of what I'd be faced with; but no longer!  I've logged on to my web page using Fileziller, and am even now transferring songs over to a directory on the site.  OK, I still have to see if I can get the MP3 player to actually work by clicking on a song (a feature that Swordy's site does with apparent ease) but all the time I'm trying different things I'm learning more.
Once again, thanks for your help on this one guys
Jim A
:)
Nice one Jim, I'm really pleased for you.
You can only learn a little at a time and at the same time realise that there's always a mountain of stuff just around the corner waiting for you to understand.
Yes Swordys site is really cool, just lacking a human touch ... they should rename such programs to WhatYouSeeIsWhatYourStuckWithTillYouLookALittleCloserYourSELF! lol
#18June 19th, 2009 · 11:34 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Yes mines a
WhatYouSeeIsWhatYourStuckWithTillYouLookALittleCloserYourSELF! site.......  
Its a first for me, and fits the bill so far ........ I know there is loads of stuff it cant do .....but it got me started after weeks of frustration .....
Its kind of web design for idiots (like me)!!
glad u liked it though Kings :):)

Oh yeah, Jim I've just today found another 'easy build' site thats giving the software away

google:

webeasy 7 express .............and follow the links

Ive downloaded this too and it seems OK but without all the flash.....

fish
#19June 20th, 2009 · 07:19 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
The hosting site for my Weird-Habitz page is One.com and they provide on-line web page creation tools that are ok (and like you say fish, are simple enough for me to use as a beginner.)  I've looked at the code on the pages using notepad (and even managed to alter some of it without totally screwing things up) but will have to enter this learning process in a very slow and deliberate way just in case.
I still haven't quite worked out how to actually play the songs that I've now uploaded onto my site - that's the next thing to learn.
But once again, cheers guys for your support and comments.

Jim A
#20June 20th, 2009 · 05:40 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Jiminuk wrote…
I still haven't quite worked out how to actually play the songs that I've now uploaded onto my site - that's the next thing to learn.
With a flash mp3 player...that you 'copy and paste' into your page.....your already half way there.  
#21June 20th, 2009 · 07:19 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
wierd habitz.........
I went in search of a wierd habitz page ..........

googled you and but didnt find you ...............

so .......... as Im sure kings is watching this thread ................

how do you make sure your site is picked up by search engines like google????

??

fish
#22June 21st, 2009 · 06:35 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: wierd habitz.........
Try http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=search+engine+optimization
It's what it's called.

I've delved a little and come to the conclusion that at the end of the day all you need is a tidy, properly written, validated page, with the applicable words in the proper tags the search engines will 'like your page'.
Putting keywords in meta tags does not work , hiding keywords by making them small also doesn't work and can have an adverse effect making SEs block your page.
Put your main keywords in your H1s ; Welcome to my music and guitar and trumpet and drums tabs page.
And put the lesser keywords in H3s ; Our band sings folk songs...
And put what you want to generally babble in Ps (Paragraph tags)
This is a very simple version of a simple page but you get the idea.

I was looking for a local companies web page the other day, typed in the company name in Google, got a page full of results.....I was surprised to see my own carpentry page come in at 6 place...because I have his name in the page text and I have a validated page  ... so I came in front of nearly every one else 

Validating is a W3C thing  
#23June 26th, 2009 · 03:16 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
re: wierd habitz.........
swordfish wrote…
I went in search of a wierd habitz page ..........

googled you and but didnt find you ...............

so .......... as Im sure kings is watching this thread ................

how do you make sure your site is picked up by search engines like google????

??

fish

Well knock me down for not seeing the obvious... Mr Fish you couldn't find my band through google because YOU SPELT IT WRONG!!
The band name is Weird Habitz
so the first word is Weird, not wierd!

Going to have another go at getting an MP3 player working on the site - still not quite there despite the advice from Kings.
#24June 28th, 2009 · 12:23 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: wierd habitz.........
W00ps!!!

Must've been WIRED at the time ......... haha

I blame my English Taecher....

haha

fish
#25August 21st, 2009 · 02:04 PM
31 threads / 20 songs
96 posts
Canada
If you got the time learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript. MaybePHP too if you got even more time.

I really can't advise using free generator tools or dreamweaver. I work full-time at an ad-agency as a web-developer and I always had a hate for those tools, so if you got time learn from scratch. Otherwise sure use a generator.
#26August 26th, 2009 · 08:21 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 10:27 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.