1 2

#1November 13th, 2008 · 04:38 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Web page creation
Nothing to do with the BandAmp web site and the excellent work being done by TLS... I've just started creating a web site for my band; the site is extremely amateurish as so far I just wanted to see how easy it would be to get stuff on t'internet.

I've used the web creation tool that's offered through the web host, but there are obviously significantly better ones out there.  So do you friendly BandAMPers  have any suggestions for a virgin website creator?

If you're interested, so the site is: www.weird-habitz.co.uk - don't expect too much   

Jim A

[edit:  I'll be sticking some music up there, and will want an integrated player.... how the hell do I do that?] lol
#2November 13th, 2008 · 05:59 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Web page creation
check out ezgenerator.com

its a program the allies itself with fruity loops

ive tried it and it seems great!!! and easy 2 use...........

just dont want to buy it yet ........haha......as i'm busted!!!!

john
#3November 14th, 2008 · 06:45 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
great thing.... I would love to hear/see you playing "Brick In The Wall"

If you find a chance to record either video or audio please....
#4November 14th, 2008 · 10:43 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Man seeing you playing Brick in the wall would be great.
So far the site is okay, but there is lots of empty space.

I know your still working on it,
but try Freewebs.com
(its free)
If you create a site with them they even give u a tool to upload your own music and let people play it online.
Its really easy
#5November 14th, 2008 · 11:07 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
O! I want to hear Tush and Mary Jane's Last Dance 
Cant you link the songs in the song list to either a video of you on youTube or to the songs page here on bandAmp?
Site is looking good , nice and simple , I've read somewhere that you should never have an 'under construction' sign, because the internet in always 'under construction' , and if your doing it right so is your site, constantly changing / being updated / being worked upon.
Telling visitors when you last updated is a nice touch.

Go to w3schools and quite specifically the left hand menu on this page http://www.w3schools.com/html/DEFAULT.asp
Otherwise I'm sorry but I have no 'automatic web page creator program' tips.

What about a 'gallery' page and a page for your next gigs?
#6November 14th, 2008 · 01:33 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Cheers guys... much appreciated.  And Kings, especially thanks for your PM, and the link above which is a great site
I'll be very slowly working on the web page for the band.  The intention is to house the covers that we've recorded on the site - clicking one of the songs on the playlist will start a media player on the page.  As I said before I have no idea how to do this yet, so it'll be a challenge!! lol.

As far as Another Brick is concerned, it's one of the songs that's recorded (and has been chosen for our sample CD) - I'm not entirely convinced about uploading yet another cover on BandAMP, but if you want me to then I will.  Mary Jane is another one that I'm pretty happy with.  I've not tried recording Tush yet, simply because it's a let your hair loose song (ok, so I don't have much hair to let loose, but that's beside the point) and every time we play it, it seems to be slightly different.
#7November 14th, 2008 · 01:34 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
O I do have a tip for a good Automatic Web Page Creator : Notepad ! 
#8November 14th, 2008 · 03:29 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Jiminuk wrote…
The intention is to house the covers that we've recorded on the site - clicking one of the songs on the playlist will start a media player on the page.

Been there but had problems with different browsers but I did find a way of doing it though, if you want to know ... ask.
Otherwise, Avi sussed out how to embed the bandAmp player on your own page [I'll look for link later]...or .... you would be better off going to the source and learning how to embed a flash player on your page [google search]

Many would say Flash is the best way to get around browser differences, you can either make your own player (I have) with Macromedia Flash or you can download/copy-paste a free player on-line.
#9November 14th, 2008 · 04:51 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Looking good..Jim..nice play list!!
Would enjoy seeing you guys live!!
Cheers mate!
#10November 15th, 2008 · 01:50 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
i kind of like the abstract feel of the layout, though.  web2.0 sites (like youtube, facebook) have layouts that are overdone.  I think it's a great start to the site.  As you get more content, it should blend well.  Only suggestion: don't clutter it up with too many menu items.  clutter = confusing.

Best of luck
#11June 3rd, 2009 · 05:02 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Site update
It's been a long, long time since I had a mess around with my Weird Habitz website - I just haven't had the expertise, time (or inclination) to do it.  TLS I have to take my hat off to you with what you've done to the Bandamp pages - so impressive!

I'd appreciate any comments on the changes I've now made.  I still don't know enough to imbed some sort of music player so despite having about 15 or so MP3s to stick on the site, I have no idea how to get people to hear them!  Very frustrating.

So, erm....... help a very stupid Jim anyone?!?

Oh, once again it's www.weird-habitz.co.uk
#12June 3rd, 2009 · 06:27 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: Site update
Jiminuk wrote…
I still don't know enough to imbed some sort of music player so despite having about 15 or so MP3s to stick on the site, I have no idea how to get people to hear them!  Very frustrating.
[/url]
Bummer! You must know someone who knows a little html. Because it's dead easy. It would take you an afternoon to suss out how to get a player on your page. From the first google search for a free flash player to publishing the page ........................ would only take 20 minutes LOL
Try http://kingsonone.com/Jim

#13June 7th, 2009 · 04:47 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Kings,
Thanks for the link to the file... I have managed to get something working on a page that's not visible on the server yet, but it's still not quite there.
What I have done in the mean time, is opened up a myspace account, posted a few songs on there, and linked to that site from my own.  A kind of cheat until I can do it properly.

Oh, I did try and upload my MP3s to my own site, but it was rejected as I don't have a FTP installed - so if this is just File Transfer Protocol software, what do I need to get that sorted?  Hopefully it's a simple windows "switch" that just isn't activated as yet.

Jim A
#14June 9th, 2009 · 02:11 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Jim,
I googled 'free ftp program' and it seams FileZilla comes up on top of the list, I dont know the program but it should be like every other ftp program.
As long as you fill in the ftp address, your name and the password correctly under the 'site' or 'connection' interface in the program.
Where ever you rent your web space from should have supplied you with your ftp address, name and password.
A lot of web building programs/text editors have ftp built in so that you can immediately publish your page from the program. I've been trying out a few recently but Dreamweaver is still my favourite choice. Because it updates all the files involved with a page when saving and publishing.
#15June 9th, 2009 · 05:40 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Hi Jim .......
Ive just finished using a free programme that is so damn simple even I can make a site .......

Its called WIX........goto

http://www.wix.com/

and here is the proof of the pudding ........ my bands first site.......

http://www.wix.com/JohnMT/AliveandKicking

hope you find it useful......

Graffik Fish   
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 4:20 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.