1 2

#1October 16th, 2007 · 11:37 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Success
I have finally done it, I found MY SOUND, for a musician this is a huge thing, unfortunately, my sound sounds like shit.

JimK

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA
#2October 17th, 2007 · 02:01 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
haha, oh boy

too bad we all can't come to our own sound conclusions faster!

you've inspired me!
#3October 17th, 2007 · 03:49 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Qu' est-ce qu' il passe?  You guys really take the "pit" literally, eh?
#4October 17th, 2007 · 04:02 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
avinashv wrote…
Qu' est-ce qu' il passe?

there's nothing grammatically wrong here, but i think they say Qu'est-ce qui se passe?   'passer' is a transitive verb, so it needs an object (hence the need for some reflexiveness).

sorry.

yeah, we like the pit-- it's just so off topic that we can take a break from the music and find just about anything we want!  here in the pit, we've got interviews, a church of bandamp, a thread that never ends, a philosophy thread of the longest posts you ever did see, rocking into mordor, posts entitled "i'm an idiot" (props to meowmachine for that one), some of my old compilation cd project posts, how to write non-girly lyrics, band costumes... and of course your "It's late, I'm bored" (thanks, toasted goat) style posts.

we've got it all man
#5October 17th, 2007 · 07:32 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Thats awesome Jim!
My thing is that my shit sound, sounds like "MY SOUND"
oh well!Ill keep working on it I guess!(LOL)

On serious note Jim your a real hero man.You always come up with stuff to make us feel good about ourself an it is your sound thats gives the music you give us your light! whoa! Intense!!!I got inspired ok off to write!
Anyway cheers Jim
M.
#6October 17th, 2007 · 07:38 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
TonightsLastSong wrote…
avinashv wrote…
Qu' est-ce qu' il passe?
yeah, we like the pit-- it's just so off topic that we can take a break from the music and find just about anything we want!  here in the pit, we've got interviews, a church of bandamp, a thread that never ends, a philosophy thread of the longest posts you ever did see, rocking into mordor, posts entitled "i'm an idiot" (props to meowmachine for that one), some of my old compilation cd project posts, how to write non-girly lyrics, band costumes... and of course your "It's late, I'm bored" (thanks, toasted goat) style posts.

we've got it all man 8)

I love the Pit.
I love the Church.
and you forgot to mention that one weird thread about black men being ninja chickens!
#7October 17th, 2007 · 07:46 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
oh..yeah!  i forgot all about that!
#8October 18th, 2007 · 12:49 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I think i have found my sound too. Unfortunately someone with the higher ups in the business has recorded it and is now using it as "their" sound..I am going to sue them and get lots of money to retire on, bwuhahahahahhaha..

I'm glad that you have found your sound .....I hate to burst your bubble though,  but "sounds like shit" has been done many times before we ever got into music.  I had one amp that had that sound built into it, played on it for years. even now if I don't watch what I'm doing I have a natural affinity for the "sounds like shit" sound .

If you come down in January you just might hear some of it   

imho many big hit songs have used this sound at times. so you're right up there with the big time stuff.
#9October 18th, 2007 · 04:03 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Maybe it's the sound of the future !!!?
Maybe everyone will be rushing to copy your sound and do covers of your ground-breaking songs?
Maybe I'm talking shit!?

Sounds like an amazing and important moment never the less, like "I've found me, WeHeee "
#10October 18th, 2007 · 04:32 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
IIIIII did it myyyyyyyyyyyy waaaaaayyyyy
#11October 18th, 2007 · 11:19 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
TonightsLastSong wrote…
avinashv wrote…
Qu' est-ce qu' il passe?

there's nothing grammatically wrong here, but i think they say Qu'est-ce qui se passe?   'passer' is a transitive verb, so it needs an object (hence the need for some reflexiveness).

sorry.

we've got it all man 8)

I'm most definitely out of my league here, but I'm going to stick with what I said.  The object for "passer" is "il", which is one of those strange French subjects that means everything from "he" to "one" to "it".

However, you are right about yours being more popular.  I did a Google search (it's 2007, don't tell me you are surprised), and your phrase wins at 447,000 to a measly 64,000.  So we call it a draw?
#12October 18th, 2007 · 11:59 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
*grumble* you're lucky i'm reposting this... i already typed this all up, but bandamp magically logged me out just 15 minutes after i logged in... needless to say, i lost my reply.  but here we go again.

*ahem*

to clarify what you said, about "il" being passer 's object, it's actually it's subject, as the object is what recieves the action.  The only way the subject can be made into an object, is by the reflexive bit i suggested.

i'd call it a draw, except that I'm trying to make a point of nuances.  What you've suggested is a physical event, as in... He/It is passing [something unmentioned because it's understood by context].   What I'm trying to explain is that the reflexive addition to the phrase turns the nuance to something abstract or otherwise time-oriented.  What you've put out on the table says "What's he/it passing?" (or, more litteral to the translation, "What is it that he/it passes?")  The "il" can be treated like the "he" of english, or can be used to denote the masculine objects, or even impersonal subjects, such as in the phrase "il faut" (" it is necessary").  You're absolutely right about your translastion of the word "il" as "it," but the phrase is suggesting a physical passing of an object.  Whereas in the reflexive version (where I also left out the "il" since it's already implied with the word "que" changing to "qui"), the "passing" that is taking place is figurative, suggesting the phrase "What's he/it passing [having performed this action of and to itself]?"

The question is one of what kind of "passing" we're doing... it's a question of syntax only, as you're sentence isn't wrong in any way, but I contest the fact that it was what you meant to imply, given the nuance.

But if you want to call it a draw, then I guess that's fine too.  I'm not going to be an idiot about it. 
#13October 19th, 2007 · 12:20 AM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
re: Success
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
I have finally done it, I found MY SOUND, for a musician this is a huge thing, unfortunately, my sound sounds like shit.

Hey Jim this is not a bad news after all

Do you have considered change the scale?

or

Are you sure when you found YOUR SOUND you were OUT of the bathroom?

lol

dodo
#14October 19th, 2007 · 01:06 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
TonightsLastSong wrote…
*grumble* you're lucky i'm reposting this... i already typed this all up, but bandamp magically logged me out just 15 minutes after i logged in... needless to say, i lost my reply.  but here we go again.

*ahem*

to clarify what you said, about "il" being passer 's object, it's actually it's subject, as the object is what receives the action.  The only way the subject can be made into an object, is by the reflexive bit i suggested.

i'd call it a draw, except that I'm trying to make a point of nuances.  What you've suggested is a physical event, as in... He/It is passing [something unmentioned because it's understood by context].   What I'm trying to explain is that the reflexive addition to the phrase turns the nuance to something abstract or otherwise time-oriented.  What you've put out on the table says "What's he/it passing?" (or, more litteral to the translation, "What is it that he/it passes?")  The "il" can be treated like the "he" of english, or can be used to denote the masculine objects, or even impersonal subjects, such as in the phrase "il faut" (" it is necessary").  You're absolutely right about your translastion of the word "il" as "it," but the phrase is suggesting a physical passing of an object.  Whereas in the reflexive version (where I also left out the "il" since it's already implied with the word "que" changing to "qui"), the "passing" that is taking place is figurative, suggesting the phrase "What's he/it passing [having performed this action of and to itself]?"

The question is one of what kind of "passing" we're doing... it's a question of syntax only, as you're sentence isn't wrong in any way, but I contest the fact that it was what you meant to imply, given the nuance.

But if you want to call it a draw, then I guess that's fine too.  I'm not going to be an idiot about it.  :roll:

About 35 words into the third sentence the word "owned" popped into my head.  Grammatically you definitely take that.  I'm not about to argue or try to pretend that I understand French grammar well enough, but remember, colloquial speech doesn't follow proper grammatical structure, form and flow.

Furthermore, IIRC, you went to Canada.  The little I know about Canadian French (Quebecquoise French) is very, very different to the more traditional (or maybe not) Parisian/Swiss/Algerian French hybrid that I've learned.

The calling of a "draw" was more a joke and reference to Monty Python and The Holy Grail than anything...
Google clearly showed, that despite whatever crap I can spew about Francophone colloquialism, "qu'est-ce qu'il passe" is clearly less popular.
#15October 19th, 2007 · 11:31 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
you missed the point of what i was saying.  i tried to sum it up for you at the end:  it's a question of what it means.  i'm not saying that "qu'est-ce qu'il passe" is an incorrect phrase, because it's not.  Par contre, it doesn't express what you were trying to say. i wasn't trying to rule out colloquial speech, either, since you're right about that..  though, it doesn't really apply here to this phrase.  even if a frenchie were going off in colloquial nonsense, they wouldn't say this phrase here, because it's not communicating the same idea as the one i'm suggesting.

this is very very true, that the québecois french is nothing very graceful when put into contrast with the conventional French, Swiss, Belgium (belgic?? i'm not sure what the adjectival form of that word is [in french, they say Belgique, but in english i dunno]), Persian, or even African accents.

though, who says that i learned how to speak the québecois french?  Ah, wait-- i should say that differently: who's to say that i didn't learn how to speak the more international french, alongside of the daily life that i was presented with for 2 years?  i'll have you know that there are actually quite a few French french people in QC, since it's just about the only escape from the european continent where they can still speak french (minus africa, but it seems that many don't opt for that path).

anyway.. this is silly.  i can't claim that i've had the same exposure that someone may get when living directly in a place with more international french, but i've studied the same books that anybody else would have, regardless of their choice of french country to live in.  (and there i go breaking english rules, ending a sentence with a preposition.) 

IMHO, i think i've actually got the edge, in a funny way, since i already (mostly) understand the accent of QC, and that usually takes a while, even for a native french speaker :p

by the way, when the québecois say the phrase "qu'est-ce qui se passe" (which is what even they say), it comes out something more like "kes'k s'pows" (large emphasis on the "pow" part.)  And then, they like to add the word "là" once or even twice or three times, depending on their accent.. though "là" for them is pronounced "lo" instead of something more like the spanish pronounciation equivalent "la", and their intonation goes way way up for when they say it.

tone of voice is hard to pick up in impersonal text, too-- sorry i missed the reference to montry python
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 1:45 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.