#1August 20th, 2010 · 06:10 AM
2 threads / 1 songs
28 posts
United States of America
Working together using stems.
I was curious if anyone here wanted to try working together by sharing stems. If you aren't familiar with the term, stems are audio files rendered from each track in a project that includes all leading and trailing silence. It makes it easier for people to share projects regardless of what tools they use.

I've uploaded a simple project to this folder that anyone can download. In it is a zipfile with four .wav files. If you listen to them, you will hear that most have a good deal of silence at the start. That's normal. Just take the files and drop them into your preferred track-based project software (Logic, FL, Sonar, Live, whatever) make sure that they all start at exactly measure one. Line them up and play them, everything will align musically. The project tempo is 80.0 bpm. Be sure to set that in your project.

Add any additional tracks, splice, split, mix to your hearts content. When ready to share, export each track as its own file, being sure to keep leading silence. (If you software has a help section on "exporting stems" read it.) All you need to export is your additions and or changes. Put them somewhere online where we can download them and add your changes to our projects.

It might be fun to collaborate this way, not needing to care if someone is using Sonar while someone else uses Live (or whatever.)

Anyway, grab the file if interested or start your own. Could be fun! If you don't understand (I'm not the best instructor) post your questions and myself or someone else will be sure to answer if we can.
#2August 21st, 2010 · 06:00 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I like this idea a lot. I have downloaded and I will listen, whether or not I come up with something is another matter.
You are a strange one...I love your site.....but...the music page has an expandable menu, the links open the div/box but there's nothing in them! An empty expandable menu !! shame, I was hoping for some Electronic Experiments.
Your meta comments need some comments too......  
#3August 21st, 2010 · 07:19 AM
2 threads / 1 songs
28 posts
United States of America
To be clear that file I sent was just an example. We can start with someone else, or people can have lots of things up in different styles. That was just something I had lying around and used as an example.

As for the empty expansions...well that shouldn't be that way! I don't solicit much feedback, and you're the first to tell me that the little expansions weren't working. They appear fine in IE and FF for me at this time. Can you give me some details regarding your experience?

What browser and version are you using? The players on that page require flash. I do assume you have flash installed. Those expansions should load little soundcloud players. Do any javascript errors present themselves?

Try again. If you don't have any luck, you can certainly go directly to my host and get your electronic experiments on.
#4August 21st, 2010 · 05:07 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
No still no content...I'm using FF 3.6 and I do believe I have the latest flash and javascript installed.
Probably dont though because you can see it and I cant ! 

Listening from soundcloud  .............. very nice classic stuff.
#5August 22nd, 2010 · 08:05 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
OK I needed Flash 10 to get the mp3 players to show in your own expandable menu though I was listening last night to the same mp3 players on SoundCloud....

I like the way you present your music on your own page, it's a nice listening environment, soft and simple like bandAmp.
I'd personally like the boxes to close too, now they all remain open. I have an old bit of script that still works well, opens and closes all menu choices individually, check it out here  

Still listening to your work.
Very midi and clean though you get some wonderful songs going...I did expect your 'stories' to have some kind of vocal. Really liked the Monophonic Experiment, and I'm not too sure which song of mine the beginning of your Verse - Introduction reminds me of this one or this one  
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 1st, 2024 · 6:02 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.