1 2 3
#31March 1st, 2009 · 02:20 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
ah yes I understand.
but when Marino downloaded it, and when i sent him the file, and when my teacher sent him the file, and he played it, he still said that it sounded like it did on the site, all crackly and digitally messed up and just awful.

Ok so for future reference, whenever I make any new songs in audacity, I have to make sure that all the tracks record at 44.1khz.

How do I make that a default so that anything I record automatically records to 44.1?
#32March 1st, 2009 · 02:21 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
do you think he gets that?

lol I understand all of this just fine
#33March 1st, 2009 · 04:24 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TheKunadiun wrote…
ah yes I understand.
but when Marino downloaded it, and when i sent him the file, and when my teacher sent him the file, and he played it, he still said that it sounded like it did on the site, all crackly and digitally messed up and just awful.

Ok so for future reference, whenever I make any new songs in audacity, I have to make sure that all the tracks record at 44.1khz.

How do I make that a default so that anything I record automatically records to 44.1?
You can record at any bit rate or sample rate, you just have to convert it to get it to play properly in your audio editor, when your making the song.
Though actually you should be doing all your recording and 'studio work' at high bit and sample rates , this way you get better quality from your productions. So you were doing it right, you just had to convert the exported song to 44.1kHz to upload it to the Amp.
Check for preferences / audio preferences / audio options in the audio/mixing/recording programs that you use for the sample rate.
Just make sure you change it for the whole program and not only the session / song , something I've come across in WaveLab.
#34March 1st, 2009 · 09:30 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Yeah.. something kings just said makes me want to clarify.

It should be fine to use high-frequency samples (i imagine), but your base audio tracks should all be at the same frequency.  That way, when you mix down to your final mp3, any higher-than-44.1k samples should fit themselves into the rest of your track.

You *can't* just mix down to one single track, change the frequency to something new, and then re-export and expect it to sound the same.  That's when you'll start experiencing non-normal speeds (on your computer or on bandamp's player.. either one), because of what I described at post 28.

TheKunadiun wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
do you think he gets that?
lol I understand all of this just fine

I'm trying to make sure that it's very very clear.  We keep threads on the forum long after we've solved problems, so that others can read it if they need to.  Best be very clear for any future readers.

That, and I loath misleading documentation.  Blessed be Linux, but damn the incomplete and misleading documentation that plagues its existence.  There should be no such thing.
#35March 1st, 2009 · 10:14 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Okay thank you so much both kings and tls, and of course Marino.
ok i am in audacity right now attempting to see if I can make this work.
im going through your guys steps, step-by-step. first of all...alll of my base audio tracks in my audacity project are at 96000hz. It says that on all of them (the section where you can adjust the gain level on each individual track, and make each track Mute or Solo.)
ok now....when i go to Preferences, and I click the Quality tab, the default sample rate is 44100hz. (I recently changed it to 44100 from 96000 in a previous attempt at exporting and uploading the song. the song still didnt work...on the site).

OOOOHHHH!!! ok so at the bottom of the Audacity screen i was looking and I saw in the lower left corner somethign that said:
Project Rate: (and then there was this box that had 96000 in it. I clicked the box and changed it to 44100.)

if i export the project now, will it work? (if it will please give me EXACT instructions on what to do to export it so i dont miss anything...i really want this to work)
#36March 1st, 2009 · 10:16 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
well im gonna try exporting and uploading on my own until someone replies and see if it works.
thanks!!!
#37March 1st, 2009 · 10:26 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
ok now for some reason its taking over 30 MINUTES to export a 4:40 mp3...usually it takes less than 3 minutes...
but I dont think its a result of the changes i made....earlier in the week i acciddently tried exporting it ( with nothing changed), and the estimated time was like up in 36 minutes and stuff.

i dont know why its doing that.
im gonna cancel the export its got 20 mins left, and try and see whats going on.
#38March 2nd, 2009 · 08:22 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
huh.

maybe it's trying to scale the frequency at the same time?  I might suggest doing a quick mixdown into a single track before trying to do the full export.  That way, you're only exporting one track, and it only has to convert one single track, instead of 15+ tracks simultaneously
#39March 3rd, 2009 · 05:40 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
could it be that your exporting software is not the only one running on your computer?
Sometimes a heavy loaded cpu and/or low RAM and/or too many processes is/are the reason for those clicks

(just a thought)
#40March 3rd, 2009 · 06:48 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
This is the way I do it. I usually do my multi tracks recording @ 24 bit depth, and 96khz.  I then export that down to a stereo track at 96khz @ 24 bit, I then import that file back into the  recording software, run that through the mastering (no it's not real mastering) part of the software, and work on any anomalies that I might be able to fix with eq/compression/ whatever. I can fix. 

I then export that stereo file into a another wav file @ what is the old standard cd settings,  16 bit @ 44.1khz
I send a copy of that file into a separate mp3 converter and convert it to the mp3 format I need.
note: If I use ITUNES for the transfer to .mp3  I can leave the  wav files at 24 bit, Itunes now works with 24 bit files.

note: I can't remember if audacity has dithering or not, but if it does make sure it is on. when doing any file transfer rate/depth.

I know that seems like a lot of work, but if you wanna burn good cd's .The audio is better for the cd coming from a wav file, than mp3. Everything I have read about transferring down into cd format or mp3 uploads says to wait until the last possible transfer for that particular transfer. huh? I mean keep everything at the highest rates you can until you just absolutely  have to transfer the rates.  I understand that pro studios wait until they are burning the tracks down for the "Red book" audio files (last file transfers) before mastering house, before  that everything is kept at high rates.
1 2 3
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 2:09 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.