1 2

#1March 21st, 2006 · 06:51 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Funny Music
Simple question. Lyrics aside, how do you write funny music? Does anyone know of any music (classical or otherwise but nonlyrical) that can be or is interpretted as funny? I'd really like to know...
#2March 25th, 2006 · 02:12 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Funk!
#3March 25th, 2006 · 07:36 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
of course the clown parade is very funny... mainly because it has whistles and horns combined in a way that makes you wonder what all the comotion is all about...
whn you hear it, you know it is something different... of course we associate it with the funny clowns... so we associate it with being funny for that reason too...

To truly write funny music, you must first think about what makes you laugh...

And when writing the music, do not allow yourself to be tied down to what music teachers tell you go well together... worry not about keys and scales...
    use sounds normally not thought of together...
      go against your own natural thoughts... and you will find that you come up with many funny, and some things that you never thought of that work for more serious songs as well.....

JimK
#4October 25th, 2006 · 07:48 AM
5 threads / 3 songs
17 posts
United Kingdom
Using lots of simple major chords helps, I think.
#5May 3rd, 2007 · 08:20 PM
#6May 3rd, 2007 · 09:03 PM
10 threads / 3 songs
69 posts
United States of America
alot of things
putting any kind of personality to your music can be very humorous. For example using alot of sudden rests and alternate endings to riffs can be humorous. Or just taking your favorite riffs and adding and subtracting notes to them can become humorous. Take that one modal scale with all the flats in it and turn 'em all into sharps and it'll sound quite funny, your don't change the notes and use hammer-ons and pull-offs to make it sound classical but still humorous to someone not use to classical music. I'll go experiment then come back and transcribe some for ya.
#7May 4th, 2007 · 04:45 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Ok, I have things I picture as funny.
Slow vamping bass, a bouncy tuba, the sliding trombone, lots of novelty sounds, unexpected "surprises", I think there was a classical music called the surprise symphony, or something like that, which lulled the audience almost to sleep, then changed dramatically to ff giving a great shock. Simple cadences, kind of anti climatic.

Over the top, grand, silly, experimentation is the key.

Yes I feel like writing a funny song now.

Cheers
#8May 10th, 2007 · 06:30 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
i suggest alot of bells
and wistles and if you
could get your hands on
a sample of the woop woop woop
3 stooges sound that could
come in handy!!!
#9August 1st, 2007 · 03:19 PM
19 threads / 15 songs
84 posts
United States of America
Inappropriate instrumentation can work...
Sounds like an investigation of Spike Jones would be in order. On well known example is his reworking of a classical piece called "Flight of the Bumblebee" for the Tuba. It's so extreme the entire band broke up into hysterics during the recording...
#10August 14th, 2007 · 10:56 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
music played slightly out of tune by kids is always quite funny (imo), like in a school brass band.

i guess, a fast tempo, a bit of a ska rhythm and some brass... and no minor chords...

Ian
#11August 14th, 2007 · 05:35 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I think this is funny : http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/3556.html

Might not call it an actual song but you could call it a 'long jingle'. LOL
#12August 27th, 2007 · 09:30 PM
4 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
try some latina music
if you put on the spanish radio, trombones and latina-style horns can be very funny. "jewish princess" by frank zappa has kazoos.

really, simple down-home melodies. simple.

major scales are funny.
#13September 11th, 2007 · 07:20 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
LOL! Bandman! I saw this thread and was headed here to say something very similar.  Try that circus music that seems to be popular amongst certain members of the spanish community!  I think its freaking hilarious! No offense to anyone, but i find it ridiculous!
#14September 17th, 2007 · 09:12 AM
9 threads / 8 songs
34 posts
South Africa
Pink Floyd's "The Trial" off The Wall...  it's funny because (a) the lyrics are funny, and (b) it has that oom-pah-pah tuba rhythm that is so reminiscent of circus music.  I think we find things funny when they're similar to familiar themes, but with a slight twist.
#15November 27th, 2007 · 10:59 AM
2 posts
United States of America
i find it hilarious to switch scale moods

for example i made 'happy birthday' in evil minor

http://chrisdlugosz.net/music/evil_birthday.mp3
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 8:43 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.