Wasting time with women half my age
Most of the time I’m just half-engaged
‘Cause the thought that’s always in my mind
Is that friends like Laura are hard to find
#2December 31st, 2006 · 11:01 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
This is an epic film staring all the great Country singers and Bruce Springsteen!

I did and do find 'sustain' a 'wrong' word! It is your style but it somehow reads odd, again it seams like an intelligent word in between not so intelligent words.
I'm not to sure how to explain what I mean.
I'll have to think about it more.
It's not 'intelligence' it's more like differences in 'category' of words.

But then again as a 'song' it would be such an epic anyway, it would probably sound wonderful.
#3December 31st, 2006 · 05:11 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
a country song
Yes, this is a blatant country epic, no disguising it. I understand the comment about the word, "sustain". Unfortunately, my friend, you are stuck with it - it is non-negotiable. Its the odd word that anchors the chorus, and it has to be sung so smoothly that you believe the singer doesn't notice, and pretty soon it becomes the perfect word, and helps keep the song from falling into the giant country-western cliche pit over which it hangs perilously, at least until you start to get a little deeper into some of the lyrics. 

I hear this with three guitars. One is a 12-string acoustic, finger-picked. The other acoustic alternates between complementary finger-picking, rhythm and even an occasional lead riff. The third is an electric lead (maybe a semi-acoustic) that also emphasizes some rhythm in the lively, rocking bar room scene. I hear the tempo really picking up during this part, but it's fairly lively all the way through. The lyrics are sung with little emphasis on any particular lines or words - no added drama. Lord knows there is plenty already. Just good rhymes, good guitar, good pace, and you can get into the meaning of the lyrics or just enjoy your beer.

I got the idea for this about 20 years ago. I had a very troubled co-worker who I managed - a real down-on-his-luck, country western type character with a pick-up truck, a beautiful one-armed wife and a meth habit. His wife couldn't handle him anymore and he came to work one day and told us she had dumped him. He got very agitated listening to the love songs on the radio and we had to turn it off. I thought, "this is like a CW song", and the chorus came to mind - also the deejay playing "their song" as she walked away.

By the end of the day he had thrown a bag of meth-amphetamine at my feet and begged me to help him, and I checked him into drug rehab that day.  The idea for the song sat in my brain, occasionally begging to be written. Last week, I finally pulled it out and wrote the whole thing in about a week.

I'd be interested in knowing what parts are the best, and vice-versa. Also, did this keep your interest, or did it get boring?
#4December 31st, 2006 · 09:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
It's long and it's late, 3.30am new years day actually!
So Happy New Year, and I'll make a point of it, some time, this year!

Sounds like a really hectic story went down for this to come up!
#5January 1st, 2007 · 08:28 AM
6 threads
138 posts
India
wow this is wonderful writing and it even has a true story attached. i like the way you flip between the present and the past. adore your style of writing.

i love the para in which the bartender steps in, cause its kinda different from the rest of the way the lyrics cum story goes, totally away.........cool

keep it going
#6January 1st, 2007 · 09:23 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I don't get 'young and green'? Do I have to think of a young Hulk?

The continuation of the imagery gets a bit fuzzy when he meats the bar man ; He has to fake an ID but yet the bar man calls him a 'man with a story to tell', which to me makes him somewhat older.

I have a bit of a problem with men who say that they themselves are so bad and always to blame and that the woman is so good and wonderful and flawless. It actually really pisses me off.
I would advise any man who feels that way to read 'Robert Bly's Iron John'.

This is a piece that I might not have wanted to know the 'real' story behind it, because now I read it with the thought in my head that someone with this experience, who is also himself off his nelly on methadone, would not have written about it in this way.

I really like the first two lines :

'We were parked on the gravel past the end of the track
Me and Laura Delaney in my Pontiac' 

I'd love to hear it as a song, simply because I think it would be quite a challenge to put together, but I'm sure it would be amazing once completed.
#7January 1st, 2007 · 10:36 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway

It's beautiful!

I like your lyrics, Simon. Your lyrics have so much passion and soul.

simon wrote…
I hear this with three guitars. One is a 12-string acoustic, finger-picked. The other acoustic alternates between complementary finger-picking, rhythm and even an occasional lead riff.
It sounds nice! 
#8January 1st, 2007 · 11:19 AM
6 threads
138 posts
India
kings wrote…
The continuation of the imagery gets a bit fuzzy when he meats the bar man ; He has to fake an ID but yet the bar man calls him a 'man with a story to tell', which to me makes him somewhat older.

well i like the para when the bar man comes in, cause............the pain of our "hero" so intense that even the bar tender see it on his face n so bar man understands that he (the hero) has a story.......

and maybe the fake ID shows that he has a problem i.e. cheating

i have butchered this too much haa haa ha..............lets see what simon has to say

yea just as kings said i too would like to hear the song and boy its a long one.......
#9January 1st, 2007 · 02:47 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
responses
kings wrote…
I have a bit of a problem with men who say that they themselves are so bad and always to blame and that the woman is so good and wonderful and flawless. It actually really pisses me off.

This is a typical response that readers have to lyrics of all kinds - projecting your own attitudes onto a song. You may not like a guy's point of view, but the fact is that there are people with this point of view, and they do have a voice. If would be a boring life if everybody sang about their strength and virtue. or from the same point of view. It would eliminate the origins of Country and Blues. It would also be a world full of liars. He is who he is, and this is his story.

That said, the man isn't saying he is a terrible person, just that he was young and wild, and he started this relationship in a reckless manner and he wasn't prepared to see it through, and she was too important to him to make a mistake like that. Now he is old enough to understand what happened and put it in perspective. It has happened to a lot of men.

kings wrote…
I don't get 'young and green'? Do I have to think of a young Hulk?

The word "green" has many meanings other than color. Dictionary.com presents these various ddefinitions for the word"green", among others, which illustrates my use of it:

5. not fully developed or perfected in growth or condition; unripe; not properly aged: This peach is still green. 
6. unseasoned; not dried or cured: green lumber. 
7. immature in age or judgment; untrained; inexperienced: a green worker. 
8. simple; unsophisticated; gullible; easily fooled. 
9. fresh, recent, or new: an insult still green in his mind. 
11. full of life and vigor; young: a man ripe in years but green in heart. 

kings wrote…

Basically the bar-room is a setting for some fun. This dude is underage, maybe 19 or 20, though we don't really know. He slinks into this joint with his fake ID and the bartender "sees him coming" - reads him like a book. Then he sits down and starts knocking them back. The bartender has a little fun with him, but also maybe figures he should get this kid talking, rather than drinking, to avoid an ugly problem later, so he floats the question. Referring to him as a "man" is maybe a bit of sarcasm, a bit of flattery, a bit of customer courtesy - after all, this is a paying customer with an ID. And by the way, exactly when does a boy become a man? In the same sentence the tender addresses him as "Son, and later in the section as "Boy". The bartender knows how to talk to people, and he knows exactly what he is doing. He knows that all he has to do is flatter the kid a bit, float the question, then step back and wait for it to turn over in the kid's mind, thus "he stepped back and he waited for the changing tide.

The true story that I revealed above really has nothing to do with the song story. It just inspired the chorus. The story is not even 1% borrowed from the guy who inspired it. I shared it to give you the story of how this piece came about.

Thanks for all your comments!
#10January 1st, 2007 · 07:18 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
interesting...

so, simon, you seem to post things just before i do, and when I post mine, i feel silly because you always use a characteristic or line that i try to post    this is pretty lengthy, like the one i just posted :P  and, the 4th movement of mine is called "In the Darkest Hour" , where you've used the phrase "It was our darkest hour"!

freak.

*ahem*.  anyway.

this is a very interesting story, but i'm going to be honest and say that i'm not a fan of the country feel   well, i should qualify that.  i like your song, but i might think less of it if i were to hear it in full music.  it's not a fault of your work, but rather, i've grown sick of the country feel, having lived in Kentucky for quite a while :P

but, i'm going to try to critique this anyway, without showing bias.  at least... i'm going to try

as to what has already been mentioned, i think that the word "sustain" stands out in an interesting way, but i think that i like it.  that's my personal preference.  i think that it's a strong point for the chorus.  kings said that it felt like the word was in a different "category" or level of "intelligence" maybe, but i think it's demonstrating an interesting change of vocabulary when put to contrast with the rest of the growin' up parts of the song.  much of the song is spent telling the story, and does in fact use simpler grammar and rhymes.  however, the first verse, last verse, and the chorus seem to me to stand out as the "looking back on it" sections, and naturally... i think they should have a different tone.

granted, if it's a country thing... maybe the shift is too much?  but who am i to say such a thing, since i don't like country? 

i think the bartender part is fine, personally.  the imagery was clear to me.  i've used the term "green" in a like manner quite often, though more in writting than speech, i'll admit.  the usuage of "Son" and then "man" in the same sentence clears up the misaligning details (fake id, "man", yada yada.)  there seems to be more deductive evidence that the kid is younger than there is to point to him being older.  though, without such evidence, i would have guessed that he'd grown all his life (ie, all of the implied stories about being married a few times...) and THEN had this bartender experience.  however, i think i might be confusing anybody who is reading this, as i'm having a hard time following my own logic this long NewYear's Day in Montreal...

kings wrote…

hehe... i tried to take a different spin in the song i just posted ... :P "A Heart Never Dies," They Say  tell me whacha think 

interesting... to say the least.

i like your rhymes in this piece.  they aren't distracting, and the final lines including laura's name are all very well wrapped up with a bow on them, if you know what i mean.  it just resolves the rhyming quest for each verse.

I tried to believe that what I felt was real...

now if only we could find a cure for this...

any suggestions?  

XO, TLS
#11January 2nd, 2007 · 09:58 AM
24 threads
319 posts
Malaysia
GREAT JOB! good story, i was hooked. No time fr elaborate comment however.
#12January 20th, 2007 · 02:07 PM
30 threads
169 posts
United States of America
Some interesting comments
As my blog says, I'm a little stuck in the "country" right now. Gotta make the best of it. It all seems to be about stories that stem from things that happened in my youth, and things that I saw - some of it was pretty ugly. Maybe it's just time to purge those demons...

Thanks for the great feedback, all of you!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 6:21 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.