#1May 11th, 2016 · 01:09 AM
3 threads / 1 songs
18 posts
United States of America
Sight Reading
Hi Dennis,
It has been a very long time since I have been on this site but feel it is time to get back to creating and this is a great place for that.  Exploring the site and ran across your post.  Anyway, wondered if you are still working on this?

If so, a trick I have  used with students is to put a piece of tape on the keys that correspond to the lines of the staff for both bass and treble staffs. Makes it easier to correlate the keys with the notes on the paper.  Like Goat sad, start with easy music and work up to harder stuff.  Go SLOW and practice.  When practicing, work on a phrase at a time and keep working on it until you can play it 3 times in a row at normal speed without a mistake.   Break the phrase down into a measure at a time if you need to but expand it to the entire phrase before you move on to the next phrase. I find that doing a phrase rather than a measure at a time helps keep the continuity of the song in place. 

Hope that helps.
Matt
#2May 11th, 2016 · 11:57 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Sight Reading
pianorph wrote…
Hi Dennis,
It has been a very long time since I have been on this site but feel it is time to get back to creating and this is a great place for that.  Exploring the site and ran across your post.  Anyway, wondered if you are still working on this?

If so, a trick I have  used with students is to put a piece of tape on the keys that correspond to the lines of the staff for both bass and treble staffs. Makes it easier to correlate the keys with the notes on the paper.  Like Goat sad, start with easy music and work up to harder stuff.  Go SLOW and practice.  When practicing, work on a phrase at a time and keep working on it until you can play it 3 times in a row at normal speed without a mistake.   Break the phrase down into a measure at a time if you need to but expand it to the entire phrase before you move on to the next phrase. I find that doing a phrase rather than a measure at a time helps keep the continuity of the song in place. 

Hope that helps.
Matt
Great practical advise for either anyone new into playing an instrument, or someone like me who has played for many years and wanting to learn how to site read.

Despite my will and determination of wanting to learn, I never got off to a good start of learning to site read.  My will wore thin and I gave up.

It’s not the end of the world as fortunately there are so many different ways to learn anything.  If I remember correctly, I wanted to learn how to play Moonlight Sonata all the way through thinking I would have to be able to site read to accomplish it – It’s something I always wanted to be able to do.  After trying to site read and giving up the ghost, I fortunately came across a YouTube tutorial broke down in many parts, over ten I think.  I started out initially thinking I would not be able to get all the way through it, but I persevered and made progress.  Interestingly enough like in your post, the tutor broke down the music into phrases, learning one piece at a time.  Once I got to about a third of the way of the complete tutorial, I started to believe that I would be able to see it through to the end.  Low and behold I learned the piece all the way through and Uploaded a take here on the AMP.  The only negative side to learning music like this is that after a few months, admittedly not practicing, I forgot how to play it. 

If was able to site read, I would not have had this problem, assuming that I’d practice site reading.

Just as well I have a good ear.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 11:01 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.