1 2 3

#16June 28th, 2006 · 11:56 AM
1 posts
United States of America
making up chords
if you want to make up your own chords go off a natural scale then follow chord combinations ex in the key of c: c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c  you can take this and with the basic combination of this you can take the 1st 3rd and 5th note in this natural scale and create a major triad chord any where on the neck ill post tons more on this very soon its pretty cool.
#17June 28th, 2006 · 09:21 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
chords
try this book chord chemistry by Ted Greene. or there is a series of books the Guitar grimoire
chords/scales and modes/improvisation/ . If I was just starting to learn again, and could do it over, I'd find a teacher or university close by, and start taking guitar lessons, and music theory/composition. Their is alot of good dvd's and books out there that can teach you too.
Berkely series guitar books are pretty good. There is alot of people here on band amp that could teach you also. Just remember scales are the building blocks for chords to be well versed in this you should learn all scales and the chords you can build from them not to mention all the accidentals b's or #'s. Simple and fast but not a theory builder is Melbays
chord books. Just to let you know, I teach guitar and I still take lessons.
#18June 29th, 2006 · 09:24 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
If I was just starting to learn again, and could do it over, I'd find a teacher or university close by, and start taking guitar lessons, and music theory/composition
And so would I!  As a self-taught guitarist of some years( ) I wish that I'd had at least a few lessons in music theory at the very least.  I've tried learning stuff from the net, but it's not that easy after having  played for such a long time. 

Having left the guitar alone, more or less, for about 15 years I only picked it up again in earnest about 5 years ago - at that point I thought about lessons, but just never got around to them.  Again, an opportunity missed.

There are some pretty good books and DVDs out there - and the internet has a dearth of knowledge, some of which is pretty useful!  But I doubt there can be much better than one-to-one guitar lessons from a guitar tutor!

That said, if you do intend to just "go for it", then my advice is to learn all the major and minor chord shapes in a least three places on the fret board.  Then you can add to these as you go (Maj7 and Min7 chords as an example).  I also agree with Iszil about making up your own chord shapes - it's amazing how many of these have already been though of - but learn the basics first.

Oh, and teach yourself to read tab!!!

And Greg, how about coming over to the UK to give me a few lessons!
#19June 29th, 2006 · 11:56 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
jiminuk
OK I'd love to. I've only been out of the states once. I'll need help with the plane fare though (maybe donations from bandampers). ha ha ha   Just kidding about the donations. You probaby have better guitarist right in your area.
#20June 30th, 2006 · 07:20 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Oldies324 wrote…
.there's an Aerosmith concert in Greenbay that costs just as much. I'd absolutely love to go, as would my dad, so.....yeah. We're not sure yet.

That is not the right answer... you guys should sneak into the concert, and spend the money on equipment... that is the true GASser way to do it......  In case you don't know what GAS is, it is Gear Aquisition Syndrome(also known as Guitar Aquisition Syndrome)..
  So, go on spend the money at the music store, and then kick the bouner at the back door in the ba*ls and see that concert....

Jim K
#21July 1st, 2006 · 01:18 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
What would Aerosmith do?
What would Aerosmith do? would they spend the money on tickets or recording?
#22July 15th, 2006 · 12:41 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
65 posts
Serbia and Montenegro
Who knows, maybe Aerosmith would drink all the money they have, i am kidding of course.
Well, I wanted to give an answer about learning to play guitar. I think that books and net is good but i think that you cant really learn to play guitar if you dont go to the private lessons. That is my opinion. And of course you must have some band to play with them and to practise that way, trust me, I have a lot experience with playing music, although i play bass guitar.
#23July 15th, 2006 · 01:20 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
oh I don't think private lessons are necessary at all.

definitely helpful I imagine. might make things a ton easier, but then again, not necessary.

a ton of great guitarists were self-trained.

it takes time, patience, and an ear. that's all.
#24July 18th, 2006 · 06:32 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
81 posts
Philippines
Here is another good link...i think
http://members.aol.com/chordmaps/
In fact this the one:http://chordmaps.com/
#25July 18th, 2006 · 03:37 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
65 posts
Serbia and Montenegro
I am sorry, i made a mess the first time i was here, i ment that you should go to private lessons, but i made a mistake in writtings, i am sorry
#26July 18th, 2006 · 10:12 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
81 posts
Philippines
if you dont know this site , try it , its really nice for composing.http://chordmaps.com/ the guy is so kind and funny...The way he is teaching harmony is unique and easy to understand and you will find tables with almost all the progressions you can make in each key.
#27July 21st, 2006 · 07:37 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
not really about chords but lots of fun : http://www.guitarshredshow.com/

i never had much lessons, never bothered until i started givin lessons myself, to beginners that is, now i help them with the basics and finding a real good teacher, who did have his musical education..

good luck with it
#28July 22nd, 2006 · 06:38 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
[quote=MaxdB]not really about chords but lots of fun : http://www.guitarshredshow.com/

man that shred show is so awesome!!! Some of those solos are pretty dam hard ... I learnt a few of the really cool ones but im pretty lazy... yeah i recomend that site lol
#29October 13th, 2006 · 08:43 AM
3 posts
South Africa
re: Key Signatures
SirDuke wrote…
Well, chords that "go well" together, or atleast ones that are easy to listen to, are usually chords in the same key as the other ones.  So this brings me to my first part..Modes.  We'll use the C Major scale for the sake of simplicity.  C major is as follows, C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C.  Each note in that scale is called an interval.  Chord construction falls in a 1,3,5 interval spacing.  C,E,G being a C Major triad, or Ionian chord. (Ionian is the first mode in a scale).  Ionian(C), Dorian(D), Phrygian(E), Lydian(F), Mixolydian(G), Aeolian(A), and Locrian(B) and then it starts over again up an octave.  These are the names of all the modes in a standard major scale.  So, if you take the 1,3,5 chord construction and use it for each note in the scale, you get 7 different chords.  All theoretically constructed with almost the same notes, but in different order.  So the chords list, Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, G dominant, Amin, B half diminished.

Wow. This is all quite complex to me. I've been playing guitar since 1998 and the truth is I don't even know all the majors nor minors, not to mention the stuff you mention here. I've heard and seen yes, but...anyhow I'd give anything to be able to talk guitaring like that. But ah well. What I do is I make it all up as I go. Many of the chords in my "chord-abulary"  are chords I thought up, which as I believe may in fact be actual chords. But all I can maybe add here to help, is to say that you have to play around, explore, experiment. To me its been sufficient since I go very well by hearing when it comes to music.
#30October 13th, 2006 · 08:51 AM
3 posts
South Africa
Oldies324 wrote…
hehe making my own chords is FUN! They are challenging to write though. It takes a while.

Oldies324, I might have a tip for you that will help. What I do when I think up a chord is I write it down as follows: Here's a chord I thought up when I still started, my first song ever actually includes this chord...

Your strings are EADGBE okay, so what I do is I simply write it so that I know which string is pressed down on which fret, like this, heres the chord: 133010. This means low E pressed down on first fret from the nut of the guitar, A and D pressed down on the 3rd fret from nut, G played open, B pressed on fret 1 from the nut and then high E played open. If a string isn't played or is muted you put an "X" in its place. If I'm not mistaken this method is also used when writing guitar tabular, also known as tabs. Simple, but a sure way. Further you just have to make up your own finger structure so its easy and convenient for you. 

Glad I could help
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 8:29 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.