#1January 28th, 2006 · 01:42 AM
5 posts
United States of America
Key Signatures
Well, chords that "go well" together, or atleast ones that are easy to listen to, are usually chords in the same key as the other ones.  So this brings me to my first part..Modes.  We'll use the C Major scale for the sake of simplicity.  C major is as follows, C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C.  Each note in that scale is called an interval.  Chord construction falls in a 1,3,5 interval spacing.  C,E,G being a C Major triad, or Ionian chord. (Ionian is the first mode in a scale).  Ionian(C), Dorian(D), Phrygian(E), Lydian(F), Mixolydian(G), Aeolian(A), and Locrian(B) and then it starts over again up an octave.  These are the names of all the modes in a standard major scale.  So, if you take the 1,3,5 chord construction and use it for each note in the scale, you get 7 different chords.  All theoretically constructed with almost the same notes, but in different order.  So the chords list, Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, G dominant, Amin, B half diminished.
#2October 13th, 2006 · 08:43 AM
3 posts
South Africa
re: Key Signatures
SirDuke wrote…
Well, chords that "go well" together, or atleast ones that are easy to listen to, are usually chords in the same key as the other ones.  So this brings me to my first part..Modes.  We'll use the C Major scale for the sake of simplicity.  C major is as follows, C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C.  Each note in that scale is called an interval.  Chord construction falls in a 1,3,5 interval spacing.  C,E,G being a C Major triad, or Ionian chord. (Ionian is the first mode in a scale).  Ionian(C), Dorian(D), Phrygian(E), Lydian(F), Mixolydian(G), Aeolian(A), and Locrian(B) and then it starts over again up an octave.  These are the names of all the modes in a standard major scale.  So, if you take the 1,3,5 chord construction and use it for each note in the scale, you get 7 different chords.  All theoretically constructed with almost the same notes, but in different order.  So the chords list, Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, G dominant, Amin, B half diminished.

Wow. This is all quite complex to me. I've been playing guitar since 1998 and the truth is I don't even know all the majors nor minors, not to mention the stuff you mention here. I've heard and seen yes, but...anyhow I'd give anything to be able to talk guitaring like that. But ah well. What I do is I make it all up as I go. Many of the chords in my "chord-abulary"  are chords I thought up, which as I believe may in fact be actual chords. But all I can maybe add here to help, is to say that you have to play around, explore, experiment. To me its been sufficient since I go very well by hearing when it comes to music.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 21st, 2024 · 10:37 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.