1 2

#1January 22nd, 2008 · 06:16 PM
7 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Need help on amps
Im thinking about buying a new amp. Ive found two pretty good amps that im planning to buy. The first one that I feel comfortable with is this Line 6 amp.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier-Refurb-103944773-i1168992.gc
 Its good I like the echo effect it gives and the great sound. The distortion is a little crazy for me but I just wont use it as much. It gives my B.C. Rich great sound when I play it, and my other friends thought it was a great amp.

Or this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FM65DSP-65-Watt-1x12-Frontman-Combo-Amp-103858957-i1167041.gc
This Fender Amp is really great. Its easy to use and it goes great with my B.C. Rich Warbeast. It seems really convenient, its also pretty light even though its big. I though this one was slightly less better than the Line 6 but it has its certain parts that are better than the line 6. My other friends thought this amp was better than the line 6.

Or if you guys have any other opinions about certain amps could you tell me about them.
(just keep them inbetween $99.99 and $299.99)
Thanks.
#2January 22nd, 2008 · 10:59 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
If it's just a practice amp, get a low-end Marshall and be done with it.  Or Fender's introductory valve models---good sound etc.
#3January 23rd, 2008 · 08:03 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I have line 6 stuff . and i use it but..... I got a chance to play out on the vox valvetronics stuff and was highly impressed with the tones that came out of that little combo amp.. much cleaner and tighter than the line 6 (imho).
I am going to purchase the 2/12 stereo combo amp but I thought I would give you a link to the hybrid combo amp page. 
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hybrid-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps3.gc

both of the amps you posted look like pretty good amps.. I have played on the line 6  spider combo at practice before.  worked pretty good imho the low end is a little muddy though.

I have not played on the fender, I have played on the cyber twin though and thought it was pretty cool.
#4January 23rd, 2008 · 05:46 PM
7 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Thanks man for the link about the vox amps, I'll try them out first before I make a decision. Heh I would love to have the cyber twin though.
#5January 25th, 2008 · 07:13 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
WOW!!!
Crate equip. mostly leaves a lot to be desired,
but let me tell you about the new "BLACKHEART"
amps...  has a 3w(triode) and 5w(pentode) selector switch..  this
little beauty will blow your mind..  it's all tube
5watt amp that will hold it's own with any of the
30watt solid state amps to come out over the last
30 years...  I'm looking at the blackheart amp
head and the Behringer Ultrabass BB210 600
Watt 2x10 Bass Cabinet would really make a
killer combination and still save close to a hundred
dollars as compared to the complete blackheart
amp head and cabinet set price... but then again
the set would be worth more together in a few
years...

blessings,

bluey
#6January 25th, 2008 · 10:50 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
asinashv
ya know it's funny,  at the top of their game
lynard skynard was endorsed by Peavey, but
every time a new shipment of amps came in
for the group, we would gut them and put
Marshall amps in the peavey cabinets...
#7January 26th, 2008 · 06:40 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
I've heard that the new Fender Super champ XD is a good amp (tube but with modeling tech) if you not after something too powerful(15w)
#8January 28th, 2008 · 01:04 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
re: asinashv
Blueyes wrote…
ya know it's funny,  at the top of their game
lynard skynard was endorsed by Peavey, but
every time a new shipment of amps came in
for the group, we would gut them and put
Marshall amps in the peavey cabinets...

I had heard rumors about this when I was really into lynard back in the day.. 

I feel I should mention though, that Peavey is making some fine equipment now, compared to the old days...
 That said, there are a lot of players that are buying up the All tube classic line that Peavey came out with..
I myself just purchased the Peavey Classic 60/60 all tube power amp.  The thing works freaking great does exactly what I was hoping it would do, and is built like a tank. I was gonna go with the 50/50 Classic, usually noted to have a warner punchier sound, but got a great deal on this one, plus, I know a little mod that will be done to the bias/tube section, to make this thing sound even better, after the Mod is done it smokes the 50/50 and lets the 6L6's  in the 60/60 do what they were meant to do.

Off topic I am so .....back to the Vox amps. I did not realize that there is more that one line on the valvetronics amps,  The XL line is all high gain amps, and the other line( VT I think)covers more of a variety of amps.
#9January 28th, 2008 · 02:19 AM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
Peavey
bro, it's true!! I still use my cs-800's....  still own and
use one of the original  KB-300's, and my deceased
father inlaw's backstage studio 50 all tube 50watt amp
rocks with the best of the big amps...  not to mention
a mark III series 16channel mixer and a liberty 1200
peavey mixer to round out the peavey stuff I own and
use...  yea they made good stuff in those days too..
and back then it was even more affordable... ;-)

blessings,

dan
#10February 6th, 2008 · 12:05 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
AMPS
I was at guitar center and they had the Vox Valvetronics AD100VTH head on clearance  199.00, This things rocks, it has very good clean tones, and for no more money than it was it was, it was  giving me great distorted tones.  Very usable,  and easy to operate, they even have a fancy foot pedal you can use with it.
#11February 12th, 2008 · 06:18 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
Dude get the line 6, I use line 6 gear its rad!!! Unless your full into 80's rock fuck fender, get with the times line 6 is the shit!!!!!!!
#12February 12th, 2008 · 10:07 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I played two bands using two different line 6 units.
1st problem:
They loose body and presence when used in a full band setting with out having the equipment miced.Both the spider combo amp and  the head and cab set.This particularly true in heavy tone guitars sound like metal and such.The cleaner sounds seemed to cut through a bit stronger although by then you will also loose body which i was able to compensate with some chorus and delay.
2nd problem:
Effects although easy to use and program don't change at real time when switched with the foot pedal.That for me its a big no no.Say you change from clean to dist in a quick set of music changes you'll have a 1/2 sec delayed  effect change that will make the transition messy from one part to the other in a song.This wont matter if its just for fun you're doing it ,but for a pro performance you most definitely don't want that.
3rd problem'
Both my line six units had chip burnouts within a year.Both where repaired for about 150 total.I did use them a lot.But still that was way to much for such a new set of amp units.

The only good thing I find there good for is for recording.There presence does cut through fairly well on recordings.But not for all styles and usually not with original presets.
This all based in my own experience.
Fender solid state(non tube) although sound pretty good clean have a real bad tone for ballsy guitars.Specially for alternate tunings and 7 strings.they just don't work well with that.For the more traditional rock they work fine but I'm still not a big fan of fender solid state amps on the distortion aspect..

I would go with tubes or tube solid state combo.A 15 watt tube amp get make a hell of a lot off noise and the louder you play it the better the sound.
Anyways thats my take.....
Marino
#13February 12th, 2008 · 11:55 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I have the line 6 and the vox vavletonics (ampsimulator with tubes and the output amp stage is also copied)

the vox kicks the shit out out the line6.  the low end is muddy in the line6 doesn't act like a tube amp at all.
the vox (korg) valvetronics vt stuff gives you crystal clear cleans (think AC30) and crunch like a krank amp or triple rectifier without being so muddy on the low end. 

I still use my line6 for recording. but I do not use it live.  I use a very old Randall amp or ADA mp1 (mod) with all tube power amp for live.
#14February 12th, 2008 · 05:22 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
thanks tg
You won me tg ,I need a new amp and been reading up on reviews , am going for the vox ad 50 t with a 12 in celestion .Only 20 kilos ...... cause i lug a lot of stage gear synths guitars sax flute  amps + fx leads etc fits in the trunk of the camry sweet,  Been using a little roland 30 watt cube want a valve orange but my mrs talked some budget sense into me, a wife who encourages a man to go get a new guitar amp ......the luckiest in the world.Still in australia they are   $600 ,

We have 2 big festival shows this w/e open air so new amp new year.
By the way has any body played with a boss fdr1 delux reverb stomp box ,?
#15February 14th, 2008 · 03:51 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
DO NOT GET Spider III
Okay, listen I got the Line 6 Spider III Modeling Combo amp (I think it was the 75 watt one), and the sound quality is just terrible! It does have lots of effects, but everything breaks quickly, things don't work, and the sound quality sounds like my little Yamaha practice amp. Sure it has tons of effects, but if you are a true guitar player, then you want a nice amp! I got a Palomino V16 Class A Tube amp for the same price I got the Spider III, and the Palomino rocks!!!!!
Pure tube sound, and it is just soooo great.
Do not get the Spider III...PLEASE!!!!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 3:58 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.