#1October 4th, 2007 · 12:13 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Advice on mic+preamp deal
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MXL-990991-and-Audio-Buddy-Package?sku=703626

This looks pretty damn great---supposedly Marshall makes MXL (read it in the comments).  I am seriously considering picking up these bad boys and I want some solid advice on the matter.

Thanks
#2October 4th, 2007 · 11:44 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
I think I remember Jimdaadtman talking about them on a thread
http://forum.bandamp.com/Gear_Talk/43449.html
#3October 4th, 2007 · 06:56 PM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
Sounds like a good deal for everything your getting... the Marshall mics have come up in quality...it's not the same Marshall company that makes the Marshall amps though..  looks like your getting 2 low end condensers  and a pretty good audio interface for right at 100.00 that looks like pretty good start up gear ....
#4October 8th, 2007 · 07:32 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Avi I have those Mics.They are OK !One of them some times has a weird air sound and tends to cutt off after some long hours of use(The bigger one).But I have had them for a few years . They do record well.Mine didn't include the interface and it was 99$ too.
#5October 8th, 2007 · 12:19 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
I have three MXL mics, but not the same as those. Mine are the 992 and a pair of 993's. In my opinion, mine are okay, but not great mics. The pencil mics are pretty weak. The Large Condenser is somewhat better, but needs a bit of eq tweaking. I have found the reviews (included in the Musician's Friend's Catalog) to be fairly helpful (and frequently true) in determining what kinds of things to "look out" for. Regarding Marino's comment about them "cutting off"...I have found these mics (probably like all condenser mics) to be EXTREMELY sensitive to moisture....particularly the moisture that comes along with your breath. Once a little condensation accumulates on the diaphragm, they'll simply fade away (until the moisture dries out). They recommend you leave them out in the open for a day to dry out after a session, but then make sure you store them in their included cases wrapped in plastic (with the little moisture-absorbing packet included). A "pop filter" would also help somewhat with this. With regards to this setup, you can't beat the price!
#6October 8th, 2007 · 05:03 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
IMO there is no such thing as a good, dirt-cheap condenser. They just don't exist. Even more so to get two for that price.

I'd be inclined to suggest getting something better that you won't outgrow. If it is noisy, cuts out, and doesn't have the frequency response you want it will just end up on ebay.

The minimum I would spend on a Condenser would probably be the Studio Projects C1; if I could afford more an AT4040. Anything cheaper than that and you would be better off getting a Shure SM-57. A good dynamic mic well positioned is better than a cheap shoddy condenser.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 3:45 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.