#1January 28th, 2007 · 11:27 AM
1 threads
1 posts
United States of America
Condenser Mics
Well I need to buy a condenser mic for my studio, but the problem is I know nothing about them. I've seen many condenser mics for under  $200, but online a couple sites have said that any condenser mic under 500 is crap. I'm pretty serious about recording, so I do need good sound quality. What dhoul I buy?
#2January 28th, 2007 · 11:48 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
what sites would that be?
Because I want to be sure to stay away from them...   There are many under $200 that sound fantastic.. as long as you sound fantastic...  

Shure SM86 Cardioid Condenser Vocal Mic is a fantastic mic, runs generally $179 

Shure KSM109 Cardioid Studio Condenser Mic is also fantastic, and great for micing acoustic guitars as well as vocals..

MXL MXL 990 Condenser Microphone with Shockmount This is probably the most popular condensor mic for home studio use, because, a: it's cheap. b:it works REAL WELL, and c:It's cheap..  If you really want a condensor mic, and don't want to spend the $$$ for Shure..  Then the MXL is a fantastic deal..  the sound quality is virtually the same, the difference is the construction more than anything.. but as long as you aren't bangin it around, and you use the shockmount, you should have no problems....

I myself use a $20 Nady Dynamic mic, hooked direct into my sound card...  not too high tech, I have no mixers, no digital recorders, no usb interface...  I just learned how to use what I have, with the help of alot of people on here, my recording quality has gone from THIS to THIS   As for vocals, well, try THIS or even THIS   So to those who say nothing less than a $200 or it's crap, I say nee to thee...  And I think if you ask alot of REAL musicians, they will tell you, it's never about the price.. a $99 guitar can sound and play, and feel so much better than a $2000 guitar, if the set up is done right... understand? so, go check em out, and have fun... and Welcome to Bandamp!

JimK
#3January 29th, 2007 · 07:33 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
i heard this was a good deal
I've never used this mic don't know that much about it.  I was talking to one of the engineers at Chapmans Recording Studio   in KCMO.   told him I was wanting to get another good large format condenser . He sent me here.....
http://www.soundpure.com/showProduct.do?id=21

home page
http://www.soundpure.com/index.jsp
#4January 29th, 2007 · 11:20 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
also you might want to read this thread
#5January 31st, 2007 · 11:46 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
jim is right(Again)
I've just order a behringer C1 (£29 so about $50) after listening to some stuff a friend recorded with it he used a behringer ultagain tube preamp at about the same price and the result was very impressive for gear at that price
It doesn't sound as good as top end mics but not 50 time worse if we were comparing the price difference and far from it
#6February 22nd, 2007 · 09:02 PM
3 threads / 3 songs
21 posts
United States of America
I have to tell you the mic is only half of it.  After you spent your next house payment on a good recording mic you will need to spend an equal amount on a mic preamp. I spent a good chunk of change on an AT4060 and then purchased T-4 trident preamp.  And without a good audio interface they won’t work to their potential. I have an RME.

We like to record live and half my songs are recorded with a $99.00 SM-58 SURE mic.

I’m not saying good gear is not worth it, because it is worth every penny you can afford.
And nothing is worse than buying one mic only to put it up on e-bay.  And then have to pony up the cash for the right mic.

Be aware after dropping $6000.00 it’s not a magic bullet.  Just because you have the gear doesn’t mean you have the ear.

Good Luck !
#7February 22nd, 2007 · 09:11 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
wow right on justintyhme
yup I've heard some guys get a better recording with sm57 and sm58 than some pro engineers in a pro studio with all the crap.  6000.00 mic  hmmm must be the sony  mic all the high end studios are clamoring about, lol
hell I don't have half that in all my gear .... I did spend money for real good audio interfaces though.
I will say if you have a decent mixer you don't have to have the seperate preamp to get a great recording
I just put vocals to some songs on here, and it's was all done on real cheap gear (except the audio interfaces).

some middle of the road mics  compare to mics that are $3000 to $4000.00  I A/B"d some mics (another thread) and the AKG C414 bxl was as smooth as the nuemann u47 and only 900.00 not 2500.00 or more. that's still alot more than I'm gonna spend right now.
#8February 22nd, 2007 · 10:39 PM
3 threads / 3 songs
21 posts
United States of America
OOPS…………I did not mean to mislead.

6000.00 was total gear not just mic.

Mic …..$1500.00

Pre amp $1200.00

RME fireface $1500.00

Cubase sx3 600.00

And then good quality cables and some good headphones, tax and the total was $6000.00

The day I spend 6000.00 on a mic...somebody please shoot me!!!

P.S.  I love my AT4060 mic now...but it took me a while to get used to because it picks every little sound. It can also expose your weakness as a vocalist.
#9February 22nd, 2007 · 11:33 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
oh I thougth you were talking about this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=8615&bsi=80

almost every top end studio is now carrying this mic because all the rap stars say they have to have it
#10March 1st, 2007 · 10:41 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I just got a great deal on this mic
I just bought a At 4047,  199.99 for this mic at gtr ctr bought as new with full warrenty.  guy had it two weeks and brought it back ( they think he just had a short recording project he used it on as he didn't trade it or buy other mics or anything).
I A/B the mic with several others in it's price range 199.99 on up to the AKG  C414... It compared real well with all the mics.  The  akg 414 still sounded better to me but the AT 4047 was right there with it. It's fairly new in the Audio teck line and is supposed to give a warmer sound.  we did the A/B staight in to a digi 02  without any EQ  it was a very warm smooth mic. very level in it's eq. , here is a link to a review.
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_audiotechnica_atsv/
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:58 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.