1 2
#16October 8th, 2013 · 09:11 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
Here is a yamaha DT express kit like the one I had,  it's internal samples are quite as good as the expensive Roland kit but,  it's a lot cheaper, and with sampled sounds in the computer now (EZ drummer, Addictive drums, etc.) It's all you really need to be able to get a "live" drum feel from playing them, with great acoustic sounds assigned to the midi tracks you record with the electronic drum kit.

This kit is fine for live gigs. It has several usable acoustic drum samples built in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-DTXpress-Electronic-Drum-Set-Kit-Outfit-/190920384393?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2c73bddf89

What I am going to do is to buy one of these...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-H2twMYI4w

http://www.korg.com/padkontrol

I forgot to mention the Steve Slate Drums.  He has some real nice drum samples, and a decent audio to  midi software just for drums.
Great recommendations, TG - that guy is rockin' that little Korg thingie!
#17October 9th, 2013 · 01:10 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Thanks BC, you can also look for a used Alesis SR16, or something along those lines and use in through a midi interface as a midi controller. 

The pads on the Korg work better than the ones on my SR16. Mine might be a little worn.
#18October 9th, 2013 · 01:32 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
Here is a yamaha DT express kit like the one I had,  it's internal samples aren't as good as the expensive Roland kit but,  it's a lot cheaper, and with sampled sounds in the computer now (EZ drummer, Addictive drums, etc.) It's all you really need to be able to get a "live" drum feel from playing them, with great acoustic sounds assigned to the midi tracks you record with the electronic drum kit.

This Yamaha kit is fine for live gigs. It has several usable acoustic drum samples built in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-DTXpress-Electronic-Drum-Set-Kit-Outfit-/190920384393?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2c73bddf89

What I am going to do is to buy one of these...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-H2twMYI4w

http://www.korg.com/padkontrol

I forgot to mention the Steve Slate Drums.  He has some real nice drum samples, and a decent audio to  midi software just for drums.
Yeah pad controller would sort out my practical issues - it looks like fun too
The other obvious, but not obvious method is to tap the drums out on a midi keyboard. TK literally 'banged out' at track in one take and they sounded great. It certainly is a practical method if you already own a midi keyboard. Some midi keyboards like Korg I think have pads built in to the keyboard.
#19October 9th, 2013 · 11:40 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
Thanks BC, you can also look for a used Alesis SR16, or something along those lines and use in through a midi interface as a midi controller. 

The pads on the Korg work better than the ones on my SR16. Mine might be a little worn.

Actually I have two SR 16's - have had them for years (have had one of them since 1991 or so) and love them both (although I'll admit they're getting a little antiquated). The module on my ION kit is actually a converted SR16, (which is rigged to be triggerred by the 7 drum pads I have installed on the thing - it works pretty well and the drum sample quality is pretty good on those things). They are both midi-capable, although I don't think I have ever use that capability with either of them...
#20October 9th, 2013 · 04:04 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Korg Wavedrum global Edition
Looks fun - NOT CHEAP AS I THOUGHT..... $600 ish - OUCH!!!

Mini Version Much cheaper - Hmmm................ seems like a toy compared with the Global above

#21October 9th, 2013 · 06:06 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
How to turn your SR16 into a midi controller

Instructions To Turn Your SR-16 into a midi controller

1 Plug your MIDI cable into the "MIDI Out/Thru" on the back panel of the SR-16. Connect it to the "MIDI In" port on your sound card.

2 Launch your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and create a new MIDI track by clicking "File" or "Edit," depending on your DAW, then selecting "Add new Midi Track."

3 Go to the "System Setup" on your SR-16. Ensure that the "MIDITHRU," "CLOCK OUT" and "CLOCK IN" setting are set to "Off." Turn "DRUM OUT" to "On" and "DRUM IN" to "ONV1." Set "MIDI Channel" to 10.

4 Set the MIDI channel you created in Step 2 in your DAW to 10. You can now use your SR-16 as a MIDI controller.

References
Alesis: SR-16
Alesis: SR-16 Reference Manual
#22October 9th, 2013 · 06:59 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Denis; that wave drum is pretty cool.  Yikes on the price though.
#23October 9th, 2013 · 08:43 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
How to turn your SR16 into a midi controller

Instructions To Turn Your SR-16 into a midi controller

1 Plug your MIDI cable into the "MIDI Out/Thru" on the back panel of the SR-16. Connect it to the "MIDI In" port on your sound card.

2 Launch your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and create a new MIDI track by clicking "File" or "Edit," depending on your DAW, then selecting "Add new Midi Track."

3 Go to the "System Setup" on your SR-16. Ensure that the "MIDITHRU," "CLOCK OUT" and "CLOCK IN" setting are set to "Off." Turn "DRUM OUT" to "On" and "DRUM IN" to "ONV1." Set "MIDI Channel" to 10.

4 Set the MIDI channel you created in Step 2 in your DAW to 10. You can now use your SR-16 as a MIDI controller.

References
Alesis: SR-16
Alesis: SR-16 Reference Manual
Great info! Thanks TG!!
#24October 15th, 2013 · 02:15 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
check this one out, they are using my favorite sounding drum program, I just can't afford to buy them.

#25October 15th, 2013 · 06:13 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
check this one out, they are using my favorite sounding drum program, I just can't afford to buy them.

Awesome - Went onto their website, it's a massive program, Gold Edition 40Gb ($595), Platimum 80Gb ($1,995) -
How long as it been out, perhaps in time the price will come down
#26October 15th, 2013 · 07:01 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

Awesome - Went onto their website, it's a massive program, Gold Edition 40Gb (£595), Platimum 80Gb ($1,995) -
How long as it been out, perhaps in time the price will come down

They run sales deals every once in awhile.  I just don't ever seem to catch them.  I did register to receive information from them.
  I'm not sure how long they have had this drum program out.
#27May 11th, 2014 · 10:46 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
update, I'm banging out my drums, keys, strings, and anything else I can think of with a USB  line 6 mobile keys 49 controler, and my casio wk1500 into a usb midi interface.  I'm getting better at banging out some drum tracks with the keyboards.. it's like everything else, takes time and practice.
#28May 12th, 2014 · 01:44 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
update, I'm banging out my drums, keys, strings, and anything else I can think of with a USB  line 6 mobile keys 49 controler, and my casio wk1500 into a usb midi interface.  I'm getting better at banging out some drum tracks with the keyboards.. it's like everything else, takes time and practice.
Since I started this thread, I too have tried to record midi drums on my keyboard, it needs a lot of practice as you say - my first attempt was fun, but not for cutting CD. I've had a 6 month break from recording, but I'm slowly getting back into it.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 3:12 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.