1 2
#16August 29th, 2012 · 10:39 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
I use a pair of Polk at my mixer. For me it's all about how does the snare sound first, and then I think if the other things sound good too. What is the optimal sound. That's just the start.

Next, I ask myself, what will the average person be using when listening. A lot of the time its the lame computer speakers or headphones, but sometimes it might be the desktop cheepo's,or maybe a nice desktop set with woofer, and if I ever get lucky enough, someone might just listen with something they bought at an electronics store - hopefully not a bose, though.

I always transfer my mix to listen on a laptop. That's a great way to find out how well balanced the mix is. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if the bass isn't showing up it'll sound like crap, which could be the only chance I get to have someone give my stuff a listen. I then take my player out and plug it into my car to hear how that sounds.

Not great for on-the-spot mixing, but it gives an idea of what needs to be tweaked to cover as many different types of speakers as possible.

I've a lot to learn, still. I'd like to listen to the NS10. Maybe someday.
#17August 29th, 2012 · 11:59 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Soni wrote…
I use a pair of Polk at my mixer. For me it's all about how does the snare sound first, and then I think if the other things sound good too. What is the optimal sound. That's just the start.

Next, I ask myself, what will the average person be using when listening. A lot of the time its the lame computer speakers or headphones, but sometimes it might be the desktop cheepo's,or maybe a nice desktop set with woofer, and if I ever get lucky enough, someone might just listen with something they bought at an electronics store - hopefully not a bose, though.

I always transfer my mix to listen on a laptop. That's a great way to find out how well balanced the mix is. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if the bass isn't showing up it'll sound like crap, which could be the only chance I get to have someone give my stuff a listen. I then take my player out and plug it into my car to hear how that sounds.

Not great for on-the-spot mixing, but it gives an idea of what needs to be tweaked to cover as many different types of speakers as possible.

I've a lot to learn, still. I'd like to listen to the NS10. Maybe someday.

I'm not familiar with 'POLK' speakers.

Thanks for posting, it's always interesting on how others mix their music.  I love to learn and experiment with new things - it's good to share your ideas with other producers/enthusiasts where we can all learn and develop from each other.
#18August 30th, 2012 · 02:15 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
after some more checking around..  seems like an endless choice of decent  nearfields.. I do see that more semi pro home studio guys are using... Wharfendales,  event 8's and  a little more money, but you'll never need another set of nearfields.. Blue Sky,

I'm not putting a ton of money into studio upgrades at this time.. so I would probaby consider the wharfendales.
[url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/359107-REG/Wharfedale_Pro_ADP82_Diamond_8_2_Pro_Active.html/url]

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wharfedale-Diamond-8-1-Pro-Active-Monitors-Pair-/110941939646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d4a7a7be#ht_1284wt_1398/url]
#19August 30th, 2012 · 08:11 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
[quote=toastedgoat]after some more checking around..  seems like an endless choice of decent  nearfields.. I do see that more semi pro home studio guys are using... Wharfendales,  event 8's and  a little more money, but you'll never need another set of nearfields.. Blue Sky,

I'm not putting a ton of money into studio upgrades at this time.. so I would probaby consider the wharfendales.
[url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/359107-REG/Wharfedale_Pro_ADP82_Diamond_8_2_Pro_Active.html/url]

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wharfedale-Diamond-8-1-Pro-Active-Monitors-Pair-/110941939646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d4a7a7be#ht_1284wt_1398/url][/quote]

I've owned a couple of Warfedale Hi-Fi speakers - best speakers I've ever had, only sold them because they were teak and looked out of date. Purchased Taynoy Mercury's to replace them, nice but did not have the clarity and warmth of the Warfedales. Now I don't own any Hi-Fi gear, but will do again when I build my studio in 2014. I also had a class A Technics power amp, wish I hadn't of sold it, but I know there are many new amps out there which are equally as good and better, the price varies so much, that I do know.
#20July 4th, 2013 · 06:29 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
denis wrote…
Now I don't own any Hi-Fi gear, but will do again when I build my studio in 2014.

A propos building a studio : Came across this vid by accident and thought it could be interesting for you, Denis.

#21July 4th, 2013 · 11:42 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
denis wrote…
Now I don't own any Hi-Fi gear, but will do again when I build my studio in 2014.

A propos building a studio : Came across this vid by accident and thought it could be interesting for you, Denis.

I saw this video too when I first started to investigate, but I'm not sure if the parts are sold in the UK.  I did however find a quality sound proofing company based in the UK who sell all the parts similar to that of this video.  They also have a great team who help you with your order and instruction.  I think for all the components to sound proof a 5 x 3 meter room and ceiling cost about £2,000.00. It's basic DIY to install. If you employed contractors to do the same job is would come to about £12,000.00.
I may add a link later, I believe I did when Swordie put up a thread on his Studio.
*EDIT*
Here is a list of downloads from the Sound proofing company - I find interesting
http://www.soundservice.co.uk/downloads.html
#22August 3rd, 2013 · 11:40 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Adams check out Adams monitoring systems very very nice.

The A5 super nice  near fields  around  $1000.00 for a pair.

The A7 bigger woofer for around $1200.00 new. 

some people won't like the extended top end that these monitors have, what's cool though is you can adjust the top end down to level it out at the speaker .. the top end is there for clarity to the mix engineer to bring out flaws in the mix..

The bass isn't like a lot of near fields that have a slightly boosted bass, which is misleading to your mix.  Adams does not boost the bass of their near fields. So they work well in small rooms and home studio.  Giving you an accurate listen for your mix.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: July 27th, 2024 · 3:34 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/bandamp/sess_8mbksgla7fv6jbfs0jb64f4t52, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp/bandamp) in Unknown on line 0