246 posts
United Kingdom
lol
#18July 28th, 2005 · 07:47 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
don't get hung up on a look...

don't ever get your heart set, if you do you're asking for it to be broken...

i personally don't like Les Pauls very much, the sound is too dull and muddy for me.

i know where you are, because after reading about them, i THOUGHT i was gonna want a les paul. and from what i knew of hearing them, i THOUGHT i didn't like fenders - cuz some of my friends had had them and i didn't like the quacky twang they have.

however, after PLAYING them side by side for myself... i liked the fender stratocaster a WHOLE lot more than the Les Paul or the SG. honestly i still don't really like fenders OR gibsons. neither one does it for me. actually i liked the fender Telecaster better than the stratocaster as well... i personally enjoy hollow and semi-hollow bodies most. as far as look, i'd agree that the Les Pauls do look phat and that the strats look sorta plain and boring. however, just as my comment on clothing somewhere else on this board, looks shouldn't *really* matter in the end... though i know they do cuz they do to me... my guitar has to be aesthetically pleasing in both the audio and visual departments.

with that said... check out some Schecters... they're nice lookin, good for the money and are definitely more affordable. also look into used guitars.

as per you guys talking about the brand Vintage, hehe, i didn't realize there was a brand called Vintage... hmm, learn something new every day - or maybe every other day, or every month... whatever... i'll check those out
#19July 28th, 2005 · 07:55 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
oh yeah, parkers are good... they've got some more affordable models as well... like the $500 range

btw, seriously, plan on spending at least $400... IMHO you won't get a good guitar for under that... i mean maybe... it's possible... but plan on between $400 and $600 and get a job and give puppy eyes to your mom or whatever you gotta do... you just don't get good guitars for $100.

if you just want a guitar and don't care if it's good :P well then that's a different story hehehe
#20July 28th, 2005 · 08:59 PM
1 threads
13 posts
Australia
thanks everyone!
ok, thanks alot everybody youve been amazing, ive been a member for about 3 days and i all ready feel ive increased my knowledge substantially  ill let u know what i end up getting
#21July 28th, 2005 · 10:13 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
cool stuff.  if you want anymore help, you know where we are!
#22August 1st, 2005 · 08:36 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
the last word
#23August 1st, 2005 · 02:09 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
I like virtuoso-style playing, so I personally like the fast necks, crisp pickups, and general 'badass' factor of the Ibanez RG prestige series, such as the RG2570EX which im planning on buying soon.

Jackson guitars are also very nice for heavier music and tend to have a little less 'bite' but a slightly fatter tone with a wider neck.

Of course, you have so many variables - not just the brand of guitar but the neck, the body, and often crucially the pickups. Even your strings can have a critical effect on the the sound.

My best advice to you that seems to have been overlooked a little is to consider the kind of guitar music that you like to play and choose a guitar that fits that style. There is not, and will never be, a 'one size fits all' guitar. The closest you will get is an *expensive* Ibanez with 2 humbuckers, single coil pickup in the middle, and piezo hardware. That way you are getting great distortion tone, crisp clean tone, and some chilled acoustic-type sounds too.

Other than that - if you want crisp cleans its always been stratocaster/telecaster, blues/rock/classic rock/metal it's been Les paul/SG, and for newer metal its generally Ibanez/Jackson and co.

Of course, you can use a guitar with single-coil pickups for distorted sound and a guitar with humbuckers for cleans - but there are hybrids that do this best.

As randomdave said, its not the name to worry about, as much as the *style* of guitar that is best for you. Keep these names in mind as a general idea of the kind of guitar you want - but if you see something that offers the same musical direction but with greater bang for the buck...then go for it
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 3:22 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.