1 2

#1July 26th, 2005 · 12:43 AM
1 threads
13 posts
Australia
thinking of buy a new guitar
Hey guys, i just found this site 2day and i have to say its amazing.

ok, so I'm in the market for a new guitar and i don't know a lot about electrics, I've been playing acoustic for a few years now and i wanted to get one of those 50's style Gibson's but Ive heard that they are over rated and i don't know much about them, i would be grateful for any advice

thanks
#2July 26th, 2005 · 09:43 AM
5 threads / 4 songs
18 posts
United States of America
It all depends on the sound you want.

Do you want something gritty? Something Funky? Clean? Crunchy? Polished? Tremolo? Reverby? 60's feel? 70's feel?

So much depends on personal preference and what sound you want. Currently I am saving up for a Rickenbacker semi-hollow. Saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre the other day. They all had them and they sounded phenomenal. One can never have enough guitars.
#3July 26th, 2005 · 07:10 PM
1 threads
13 posts
Australia
One can never have enough guitars

true that! 

Im not to sure about what sort of sound, it all depeneds on which direction i decide to take but at the moment im thinking something clean, and with effects pedals and the like i could just go from there, right? or did i just make a fool of myself... i dont know much about it
#4July 26th, 2005 · 07:13 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
yes the gibson's are IMHO overrated...

to make this information more accessible and obvious I have re-positioned it here:

http://forum.bandamp.com/Gear_Talk/6231.html

ok... go to it rock star
#5July 26th, 2005 · 07:25 PM
1 threads
13 posts
Australia
wow1 thanks for all the info

but what i should of said at the start is im 16 and have very little money

aka

im doing my research for christmas 

from what u said im leaning towards the Epi

thanks again!
#6July 26th, 2005 · 10:13 PM
7 posts
United States of America
Dude
Dude go with an Epi Les Paul for like 650-700 i believe I'm not quite sure or an American made strat, the sound difference isn't humongous compared to the Mexican but there is noticeable good luck bro
#7July 26th, 2005 · 10:17 PM
1 threads
13 posts
Australia
Cheers Baz, now when u say 650-700 im guessing thats USD... so that blows my budget massively...

which is what i was fearing...

i need to get a.. (pause for dramatic effect) ... JOB
#8July 27th, 2005 · 03:33 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
Hi there.  I work in a guitar shop so have the advantage of trying out a LOT of guitars from pretty much every manufacturer there is.  The main thing I would say is that you don't have to buy a brand name to get a good guitar.  Cheaper brands (and I have to totally disagree about squiers - they are excellent guitars for their price) don't necessarily sound cheap.

The second point I wanna make is be sure to try the exact guitar you buy.  Don't try out a guitar in a shop then go any buy the same model off the net - if its made from a different tree then its a different guitar.  When I get a batch of fenders in, they're all different.

One final thought - Gibson and Epiphone guitars are all over-rated and FAR too expensive.  If you want a Les Paul then try every make that the local shop has to offer.  I can almost guarentee you'll find something of the same quality for half the price.
#9July 27th, 2005 · 09:59 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
good advice
listen to random dave...
#10July 27th, 2005 · 10:45 AM
7 posts
United States of America
random dave
that is good advice man i hadnt thought of that
#11July 27th, 2005 · 01:50 PM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
Vintage make good guitars. I bought an SG and it is perfect. Also Encore make quite good quality cheap guitars, but mostly strat copies. But listen to Randomdave, go and play guitars in your local shop, you're guarranteed to find one that you like.

Next topic:I dislike Squires, they're the beginner guitarist's guitar. When some guy who knows nothing decides to learn guitar, guarranteed he will get a squire strat, thinking he looks cool. Buy a squire and prepare to be treated like an amateur...
#12July 27th, 2005 · 06:16 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
i don't know about Squires... really... i mean if that's absof8ckinglutely all you can afford, well then that's all you can afford. but i'll hedge my bets in the direction of that if you can afford $100 you can afford $300, and for $300 you can get a signifigantly better guitar used.

as far as vintage guitars, my personal take is that most of them are way overpriced. it is true, vintage guitars have been aged and that age makes the wood different, often more resonant... however i have yet to play a vintage guitar that i would shell out the bucks for... if i had that kind of money i'd probably pick up a Taylor T5, or maybe a Guild or some kind of custom worked thing... i dunno, that's just me though

i went into the guitar shop and played virtually all their vintage guitars and didn't notice anything particularly special about them aside from the hefty price tag and the year of the make and model. maybe i went to a bad shop, on a bad day, in a bad season... who knows... that's just my experience.
#13July 27th, 2005 · 09:28 PM
1 threads
13 posts
Australia
Thanks Dave
hey thanks Dave,

so after many mind changes im thinkin of going down the cheaper road which for me is all i can afford, owning a guitar shop would u recomend one of those Samick Greg Bennett avions, i have my heart set on the Les Paul look, but i don't want to sacrifice sound quality just for the look.
#14July 28th, 2005 · 01:46 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
i think when JonnyC mentioned "Vintage Guitars" he was refering to the make not the age!  And I'd agree with him that they're a great brand - good gear with very nice prices.
#15July 28th, 2005 · 01:56 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
samick are very good guitars - i'd certainly recommend trying them out.  also try tanglewood and vintage, as well as any other brands your local shop has to offer (i live in the UK so there may be makes we sell that you cant get, and makes that you can get that i haven't even heard of!).

the main thing i would REALLY say is to keep an open mind.  go into your local shop, introduce yourself to the staff and tell them that you're not buying today but you wanna know what they recommend.  If your nice to them, ask inteligent questions and respect their advice, then they'll be very happy to help you.  if they seem unhelpful then take your money elsewhere (at the end of the day, if they cant be bothered with you just because you've said you're not buying today, then imagine the after sales service you'll get if you do buy from them!).

there's 3 things to bare in mind when buying a guitar - its gotta sound good to YOUR ears (who gives a s*** what anyone else thinks - its YOU'RE guitar), its gotta feel nice to hold and play, and its gotta look appealing to you.  if it does those 3 things then i personally dont care if it says "Gibson" or "Harry Potter" on the headstock.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 3:48 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.