1 2

#1September 23rd, 2006 · 06:13 AM
8 threads / 2 songs
47 posts
India
Guitar Guitar Guitar.....
well i am preparing to buy an acoustic guitar....
and cant really figure out which one to buy...
an semi acoustic guitar..
or an full acoustic guitar...

well i have asked many people about this...
dieffernt people different views...
so thought of asking the same to you all..

can you help??

this is an semi acoustic guitar....

this is an full acoustic guitar....

WHICH ONE TO BUY????????
#2September 23rd, 2006 · 08:01 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
this is an odd question because...
The top isn't a semi acoustic, it is a semi-hollow electric, believe me, the acoustic properties are lacking... they are great for picking around on when you want to be quiet and not wake anyone.. but they are NOT acoustic by any means....

My suggestion is http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-RA100D-Dreadnought-Guitar?sku=511192

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Herringbone-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519293

Those are your best value....  Fantastic quality, finish work is first rate, and the price is unbeatable...
#3September 23rd, 2006 · 12:14 PM
8 threads / 2 songs
47 posts
India
i didnt realize that...well but i have heard such guitars with this semi hollow body guitar being played as acoustic without amplification...!!!
#4September 24th, 2006 · 09:41 AM
20 posts
United States of America
My suggestion is, if money is an issue, try buying a quality used guitar. I wouldnt buy a Rogue if payed for it. Try to buy a used yamaha, Fender, Ibanez or something like that, youll be glad you did.
#5September 24th, 2006 · 09:55 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
NOSDRIVEN wrote…
My suggestion is, if money is an issue, try buying a quality used guitar. I wouldnt buy a Rogue if payed for it. Try to buy a used yamaha, Fender, Ibanez or something like that, youll be glad you did.

You wouldn't buy a Rogue, but you would buy an Ibanez?  hmm.. odd.. most Ibanez come from the same factory, and are made by the same people as the Rogues... I wonder why you wouldn't buy one? Have you had a bad experience with one?  the three acoustic/electric Rogue guitars I bought were excellent, The Rogue slide resonator I bought is fantastic..  And the Rogue banjo I bought was better than a $800 Deering, the two Rogue Mandolins I have purchased are even pretty good...  and they were only $30..  So, I am not sure what horrible experience you have had, but Musicians Friend is also real good about making it right.. I bought the Resonator, and after 11 months, the tailpiece broke, they sent me a new guitar....  Just fantastic to deal with... The quality, and finish work are top notch..  I have not had a bad one yet...

JimK
#6September 25th, 2006 · 04:20 PM
44 threads / 6 songs
305 posts
United States of America
Save up and buy yourself a really good quality guitar. It's worth the wait if you have to put money together, trust me. I just bought a quality Martin and I'm damn happy I waited.
#7September 25th, 2006 · 04:35 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
if you start...
... don't invest in an expensive guitar. what if you don't like playing it? you would have wasted lots of money. just go for an El Cheapo, they can be pretty good and you can always change the pickups later on to make that ol axe even better.

I still have my trusty (cheap) Vantage from when i first started - it's got a killer homemade humbucker nowadays - and I'm damn proud of the thing!
#8September 25th, 2006 · 09:27 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
look around
there is a gazillion guitars out there. look around and shop. you can find a pretty decent guitar for a real good price if you don;t get in a hurry and shop aorund.

If your just starting out you don't need an expensive guitar. Just find one that plays well, sounds well, doesn't have any bad sounds(strings buzzing, fret buzz, ect.)
 Make sure the strings aren't too high and real hard to push down for a "clean sound".

I played on a Chinese strat awhile back that for electric wasn't bad for the money.
you can find lots of used guitars on ebay ( I use this for lots of pricing ).

I got a great deal on a classical guitar on abay (it was in perfect condition).

Good luck as far as what style of guitar, depends on what you want to do.
Electrics are cool cause you can learn the chords, and it's alittle easier to play leads on.
The bad part, need a amp too.  Acoustics are good cause you can play em any where.
#9September 25th, 2006 · 09:40 PM
14 threads / 7 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Acoustic or not?
I'm glad you posted the pics, that way we know what your looking at. The first thing you need to decide is how much acoustic performance you need. The second guitar, a semi-hollow body, will have terrible acoustic sounds, not acceptable to most people. A thicker-bodied version of that guitar will sound better acoustically, but nowhere near as good as a real acoustic guitar. On the other hand, if you don't really care about playing acoustically, that thin-line semi-hollow body should have a killer electric tone. So I would advise you to listen to both guitars, plugged in and not plugged in, and make your decision based on which guitar makes the most sounds you like.  Acoustic guitars will sound better acoustcally, but won't have as easy an action; and have a different sound electrically.
Remember, the more guitars you play, the more you will know, and the more fun you will have.
#10September 28th, 2006 · 12:42 AM
4 posts
United States of America
Dude, go with a Taylor acoustic, with a electric output. You can't go wrong. Of course its not cheap, but that's what it takes for awesome quality.
#11September 28th, 2006 · 10:56 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
its not clear to me weather you already play or not, if you do not, just buy the best cheapest one you can find and adjust it yourself to a low action with some file work.

at least thats what i did 23 years ago and i still own the piece, ánd still enjoy it a lot,
(its a 'Zen' made in Japan..$100, but the brand is not the issue, you liking it is important) it also seemed the guitar got better over the years, i've heard lots of guitarists sigh: Mán, this piece is playing/sounding só nice...
i do have a quite expensive takamine electro-acoustic too, and thats a 'better' guitar, the action is better, but the sound not lovelier

also my electric Charvel isn't the best quality there is, but i love it for 14 years now, never regretted it, never will change it (and i did own/play some more expensive ones)
it just does what i want from it

just my opinion & experience; price doesn't say it all!
have fun
(of course a Taylor would be nice....)

#12January 11th, 2007 · 08:48 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
Zen
funny you mention that name
I've got a very old Zen myself and as you said it's getting better with the years I don't know much about those guitars and you're the first person I heard talking about one
#13January 11th, 2007 · 10:15 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
NEVER TRUST
A person who says It takes high price for good quality..... It's the biggest falsehood of all time...   Price means nothing when it comes to quality...  Case in Point, Yamaha, highly regarded as THE brand for a classical Nylon string guitar...  Based on Quality, playability, and sound..  Yet, there are hundreds more expensive.. but The Yamaha is fantastic(btw, their steel strings are ok too) BUT, Never underestimate the quality of the unknown name..  Rogue, Burswood, even the Esteban series guitars are decent.. I have played many, and found them more than playable, and the tone is decent...  Taylors and Martins are nice, and I agree, You should get one...  After you have been playing for a few years, and are ready...  And have the money saved up...  as for me, I am not sure If I'll ever afford one...  But I keep the hope alive...  But my Rogue's are FANTASTIC..  Just Ask JBP how he likes his...   He'll tell ya...  They are nice...  You would be surprised at what guitar is being heard on the songs that you praise the tone of the guitar...  I have an Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow,I paid $99 for it, and I had a 50 year veteran guitar player and MAJOR LABEL Recording contract holder, who I have to keep anonymous, tell me that he was INCREDIBLY IMPRESSED with the tone,feel, look, and playability of MY $99 Oscar Schmidt guitar... 
SO, If you are the pompous arrogant type, who has to keep up with the Jones's and have only BIG DOLLAR NAME BRANDS, then sure go ahead, and blow $3000.00 but, If you want a REAL guitar, a GOOD guitar, a PLAYABLE guitar, and one that if you bang it into a table wont make you cry, buy a Rogue... 

JimK
#14January 12th, 2007 · 07:26 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
I couldn't agree with you more Jim
I've recently bought a parlour guitar when I went to the shop I had set myself a comfortable budget but while in the shop I came to try an Ozark well under the price I thought I would pay but it was love at first sight
When buying a guitar you should go with what you feel about the guitar and not the name on the head stock
I've got an expensive telecaster too but I've recently bought a cheap Squier tele custom 2 and it's now my main guitar
#15January 12th, 2007 · 07:35 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Zen
quote VincentL:
funny you mention that name
I've got a very old Zen myself and as you said it's getting better with the years I don't know much about those guitars and you're the first person I heard talking about one

Fun, i never ever seen another Zen too, started thinkin i bought the only one

1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 12:12 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.