#1November 1st, 2009 · 05:37 PM
7 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
Bass Effect pedals or Processors ???Help??
I dont know what to choose.....im new to the bass world and i would think the processor would be a good way to have tons or effects already there plus a drum track built in some units....im just sooo confused lol Can someone please striaghten out my confusion lol?  Any equipment recommendations are welcomed to help me out....

Rig Using:
CrateBT50-amp
BC Rich Warlock Platinum w/all custom tuners and bridge, upgraded electronics to use 18v(but using 9v right now) with EMG pickups.
#2November 2nd, 2009 · 03:06 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
http://line6.com/basspodxtpro/index.html

Go on you tube there are some vids too

I love line6 gear, depends on your budget?
I just purchased a Line6 XT Bass pod from ebay, not recorded with it yet.
#3November 2nd, 2009 · 04:39 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
If you looking for multi effects of any kind, I like to steer far away from Line 6. I've purchased an amp and many multi effects from them and I have been terribly disapointed. The effects sound VERY digital and un-life like, tone dead, and just very unpleasent to listen to. The line 6 pod stuff is very cheaply made, and the effects are FAR below sub par. awful sound quality.
I cant comment on their quality of bass multi effects, but if you are looking for a decent multi effects pedal that doesnt deaden the sound of your instrument, or make it sound like something its not supposed to be, id look into some of BOSS's stuff. the GT-10 (they have a gt-10 for the bass but i forget what its called)

if you want to retain all of your instruments capablities and have the true sound I would go with individual pedals.
#4November 2nd, 2009 · 06:38 PM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
United Kingdom
I must say with my Line 6 PODXT I do not find it good as a direct input or FX loop for pedal effects.

However, I do find it very useful as a pre-amp/eq.

I'm also curious about what pedals are highly regarded as the best in bassist eyes. All I ever hear about is the Big Muff/Little Big Muff, but haven't got round to trying one :p.
#5November 3rd, 2009 · 01:46 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
the big muff ROCKS for guitar AND bass. excellent little pedal.
you need that pedal wether you play guitar or bass
(well you dont need it but its a great pedal....awesome distortion "muff")
#6November 3rd, 2009 · 03:28 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Bass Effect pedals or Processors ???Help??
Alex1087 wrote…
I dont know what to choose.....im new to the bass world and i would think the processor would be a good way to have tons or effects already there plus a drum track built in some units....im just sooo confused lol Can someone please striaghten out my confusion lol?  Any equipment recommendations are welcomed to help me out....

Rig Using:
CrateBT50-amp
BC Rich Warlock Platinum w/all custom tuners and bridge, upgraded electronics to use 18v(but using 9v right now) with EMG pickups.

What do you want it for, playing live, recording??
#7November 3rd, 2009 · 03:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
If you looking for multi effects of any kind, I like to steer far away from Line 6. I've purchased an amp and many multi effects from them and I have been terribly disapointed. The effects sound VERY digital and un-life like, tone dead, and just very unpleasent to listen to. The line 6 pod stuff is very cheaply made, and the effects are FAR below sub par. awful sound quality.
I cant comment on their quality of bass multi effects, but if you are looking for a decent multi effects pedal that doesnt deaden the sound of your instrument, or make it sound like something its not supposed to be, id look into some of BOSS's stuff. the GT-10 (they have a gt-10 for the bass but i forget what its called)

if you want to retain all of your instruments capablities and have the true sound I would go with individual pedals.

I suppose it depends what you want to use it for, I use it only for recording, All the recent recordings I've produced on my Strat and Arch top have been recorded with a line6 Pod, I think the quality is great, I don't think that they sound digital, but please prove me wrong, I would be interested to know, or indeed if you think the sound of my recordings sound digital.
http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/7489.html

This was the last upload using my arch top/line6 pod, (the rhythm guitar is live acoustic) does this sound digital?
#8November 3rd, 2009 · 08:41 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
That doesn't sound digital....no where near the sound you get if you try and use those things live. I use a mixer hooked up to my computer and all that mumbo jumbo to record, so I had (have) no use for the Pod to record.
I will admit though it sounds much better recorded than live. When you record with it, I dont know what makes the difference but if you played that rig live next to someone elses, youll notice a big difference in tonal qualities and characteristics.
the sound just isnt warm or lifelike, although the pod (or whatever it is.....spider III amp) may have an effect for that, it still doesnt match up to something that actually is.

for recording purposes though, as denis has proved, they work great!
#9November 3rd, 2009 · 09:54 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
How about just not using effects
You guys should remember that geddy lee doesn't use amp cabs, he just plugs right in to the PA, he doesn't use any effects, it's just his bass and his unique playing style

Effects are just fine for the studio, but I agree with Kunadiun about line6 - I've always tried to stay away from products from that company, but they seem to work fine for some people.

All personal preference, it is, really.
#10November 3rd, 2009 · 03:02 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
That doesn't sound digital....no where near the sound you get if you try and use those things live. I use a mixer hooked up to my computer and all that mumbo jumbo to record, so I had (have) no use for the Pod to record.
I will admit though it sounds much better recorded than live. When you record with it, I dont know what makes the difference but if you played that rig live next to someone elses, youll notice a big difference in tonal qualities and characteristics.
the sound just isnt warm or lifelike, although the pod (or whatever it is.....spider III amp) may have an effect for that, it still doesnt match up to something that actually is.

for recording purposes though, as denis has proved, they work great!

Cool, I tried my Bass with the line6 POD XT out out for the first time, just as well I read the manual as you have to record from the DI output and the Amp Module when recording to a recorder, circky the maual is like the bible, but hey I found a nice preset, sounds pretty cool to me. I've got some more to add to a song I'm working on, so will upload when done, see what ya think 
#11November 3rd, 2009 · 05:47 PM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
United Kingdom
For the Line 6 POd it's good to experiment with the outputs (software wise). You can switch it between studio mode and stackamps ect.
When going to a stage amp it's great to have it on a different mode, but recording and direct to PA I would use studio mode.

Heck you can use the Pre-amps as distortion pedals, there's so much you can do with it.
Like guyconnor said, it's preference and definatley a lot of experimentation.

====================================================

I'd say for writing material or just recording go down a multi-effects pedal route, but if you're going to be playing live I would suggest getting individual pedals (depending how many you will end up taking), it's typically more reliable too in a live setting.

I'll have to post some songs again :p
#12November 4th, 2009 · 01:12 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
re: How about just not using effects
thebigguyconnor wrote…
You guys should remember that geddy lee doesn't use amp cabs, he just plugs right in to the PA, he doesn't use any effects, it's just his bass and his unique playing style

Effects are just fine for the studio, but I agree with Kunadiun about line6 - I've always tried to stay away from products from that company, but they seem to work fine for some people.

This is true, I don't know many bassists that use many effects...I dont see why you even need effects...I mean come on its bass....but the things ive mentioned earlier (the sound quality of different effects) apply to guitar as well..if not more so
#13November 4th, 2009 · 07:40 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: How about just not using effects
thebigguyconnor wrote…

Yeah I've simply been plugging my bass into my tube preamp for recording , I get great results from that.
Funny I did my first recording using a line6 podxt yesterday, I'm very pleased with it, just got to complete the song, then will upload it on the AMP, will be interested to see what the members think 
#14November 4th, 2009 · 11:36 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
cant wait to hear it denis!
#15November 15th, 2009 · 01:57 PM
7 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
i would be using for live and recording.... i have considered digitech bp150 or whatever...effects arent really nessary for bass i understand that,i just thought about having it for messing around with ideas. my brother uses digitech rp50 for his guitar effects. but i know of one of my songs ive learned using wah and distortion on bass. i was primarily looking towards his drum tracker in his processor
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 1:42 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.