1 2

#1September 23rd, 2008 · 06:34 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
mexican fender?
does anyone have experiences? tried a standard with pleasure, only the tuners didnt feel to well to me, sound and playing was great, only €515,-
still thinkin...
#2September 23rd, 2008 · 09:12 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I had a Mexstrat..Pretty good i should say and nice tone..The issues for me were the bit of buzzing in the strings when I lowered the action and the resale challenges when I wanted to upgrade....
#3September 23rd, 2008 · 11:18 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Mexi strat
I have a Made in Mexico Strat.. It is really nice... I found that they are one of those "Some are great some are good some are crap" deals.. THe majority are great,  there are a select few with minor issues, like neck finish, and even fewer crappy ones... If it felt good, and sounded good, I say go for it.. Tuners are nothing to replace..

JimK
#4September 23rd, 2008 · 11:36 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
thought so too bout the tuners jim,

and Marino, i decided i never want to sell a guitar anymore, brought me regrets only so far 

the action was quit good  enough for me, so i dont worry bout the buzz

still thinkin ...my charvel needs a refretting job ao. for about the same amount of money

tnx a lot for responses, helpfull~!

thinkin thinkin thinkin
#5September 24th, 2008 · 01:37 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Got a Mexican tele as a spare, but seem to use it as my practise guitar nearly all the time coz I really like the sound and feel of it.
Well worth it I think.  Like Jim K says (and you've mentioned) tuners are dead easy to replace if you don't like the ones fitted.
My only question is the price you're looking at paying... are you sure you can't pick one up cheaper than €500 - I'm pretty sure that there are a few better internet deals around.
For example Thomann have a Mexican strat for € 389 at: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mex_std_strat_mn_bk_upgrade.htm
and the tele comes to €439 here
I've used this company for a few pretty big items, and always found them reliable.
#6September 24th, 2008 · 03:03 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Mexican strats are fine. I used one for a couple of years. I put the Texas specials (pick ups ). upgraded the tuners, different pick guard, different pots (volume tone). different switch.. and 1/4" cable plug in.  thing looked fantastic with the custom pick guard and better looking knobs . I used this strictly for gigging with a band called RedLine doing classic rock and blues covers . The guitar held up fine , no complaints.

I did go get a Japanese strat . I thought it sounded better than the Mexican strat ,  but ,on the other hand   I had a real cheap squire strat that was my first attempt at wiring the Texas Specials into ,  screwed up and put the pickups in the wrong order........... It sounded better than the other two...

The one thing that I know for certain is that you can pick up 2 identical strats and they will not sound the same.
play on a bunch of em get the one you like the best. 

Lots of words here but really , nothing at all wrong with the Mexican Strat, and with a little work and TLC you can improve it  alot.
#7September 24th, 2008 · 05:01 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
sort of ; except for the body u changed all parts 
great story goat!

tnx Jim too, i wouldnt want to buy from the net, I want to feel and hear it ,

I def. will try some more asap in an other shop, ive been told they have lots of customized stuff and a great reputation

#8September 25th, 2008 · 02:37 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
What I do, is I go into Guitar Center, play all of their $3,000 les pauls, and then pretend that I actually own all of that garbage. lol

What I do to get good deals (and I have played a mexi strat and it plays pretty nice), is I go into guitar center and try out their stuff to see how I like it, and then search for deals of that same thing I liked online. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the best deals that way, and equipment and guitars and stuff for cheap. my fav website for buying music stuff online is www.music123.com
They always have great deals, and the will beat ANY price if you can find one cheaper than on their website. Free shipping and no tax over $99.

I guess what I am saying is never buy music stuff IN store. Try it out, and then look for deals online. Youll save a whole ton of money.
#9September 25th, 2008 · 02:39 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
For example right now on music123.com they are having free shipping on all orders over $49, and 15% off your entire purchase!
#10September 25th, 2008 · 04:02 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
they miss a great salesman (if you are not workin for them) 

tnx anyway, ill check it out, i just hate it when i wait for an order, and hate it even more when it doest forfill my expectations and ill have to send it back, and thats what i am afraid of because of all the examplary issues and qualities
so if its not a huge difference in price ill take that for granted.

must be one of the reasons i am always broke
#11September 25th, 2008 · 05:55 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
i have never had a problem with them...
Great service, and great help.
And I dont mind waiting the week or so it takes for it to get to my place...im not in much of a rush..
#12September 25th, 2008 · 11:55 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
strats won't sound the same......close but not the same... imho when it comes to strats you should try the one you buy.  you can take 10 strats down plug em into a marshall ,  crank it up and  you probably won;t find any two that react the same way.. ie.. feedback, noise, volume controls, tone controls, string buzzing, action, ect.  it was like this before they started making them in other countries.. 

You can read about why guitars won't sound exactly the same.. or I can tell you.    when dealing with wire (coil wraps and point to point)  the wires would have to have exactly the same twist , length, resistance ect.. the pots (controls) would have to be wound exactly the same with exaclty the same twist. ect..  the wood would have to be from the same plank.tree.ect.ect.ect.....  it all plays a part in the overall tone of the guitar.
#13September 27th, 2008 · 07:31 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
What the goatman says is true for sure, you can play one guitar that you like the sound and feel of, then pick up another one the same elsewhere and it just doesn't feel or sound the same... so I can definitely go with what you're saying Max about not buying a guitar from an internet shop.  I have never done so, and probably never will; but I was just surprised at how much you were quoting when this particular site was nearly  100 Euros cheaper.
There's a place in London around Denmark Street (and Tottenham Court Road) where there are about 10 or 12 music shops - I've always gone there for instruments because you can buy the one you try, and they're pretty competitive as far as prices are concerned. Do you not have the same in Holland?
#14September 27th, 2008 · 07:45 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
I have a Mexican Fender Jazz bass...use it all the time (I've had it for about 15 years). Stays in tune, plays well, but all the hardware and electronics are second-rate (everything, the tuners, the bridge, the pickups, switch, volume/tone pots), but I would expect that at the low price I paid for it (couple hundred bucks). Anyway, I have lots of cheapo guitars...and I like the idea of customizing them with fancy pickups, tuners, etc. They all play really well!
#15September 27th, 2008 · 09:59 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
have.t mad mx jump yet but
I've had a Japanese strat for a few years now , its the only one I take on tour ,and yesterday got it back from techie new 5 way switch pot bit of rewire inside with new seymore duncan classic p.u centre,plugged straight into the vox valvetronic 50 last night at  Rsl club> Elton Jack gig and she rocked.
Felt particularly happy as other guitarist used gibson les paul and US custom tele through Big old Vox valve head and celestion x2 marshal cab.
Got it a pawnbrokers auction and this will bee its first visit to techie .
As for buying on line , we've been getting stuff from Japan , excuse the language but the concept of sales dude actually playing guitars so customer can hear the tone is novel and simple , they also have massive site of course but the little personal touch is nice .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loM5Lt_0mAI&feature=related
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 6:19 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.