1 2

#1June 26th, 2006 · 11:40 AM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
Voting Ideas
Well...I'm not sure if someone has suggested this one already..but here's an idea that might help to make voting fair - and avoid people getting nasty 10% votes from their competitors trying to sabotage them.

Songs could be rated starting at 70% (so there's nothing below that) and going to 100%

If you don't think the song deserves 70% or more - THEN JUST DON'T VOTE.

Pretty simple I think.

Comments?
#2June 26th, 2006 · 12:49 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
good idea, i give you a 50% and it's not a sabotage

hehe, joking

it's a good idea to be fair

and what about the popular vote or the self promotion?
#3June 26th, 2006 · 12:54 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
I've been always against those who vote only the songs they like (or the songs they're trying to sabotage  ).  I think we should also vote for the songs we don't think are good.  So, why should a "bad" song have 70%? anyway, that would be exactly the same as it is now, becose:  70% = 10%.  If I want to sabotage a song, I rate it 70%, or just don't rate it...

Plus, we need people to vote, not to stop voting...
#4June 26th, 2006 · 01:05 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
separate voting and rating
I guess I don't understand why you would vote for a song you think is crap anyways...it's just not logical.  Do you go to the polls and vote for the politician you think sucks? - no -

If the purpose of voting is to help the songs you think deserve it win - then why should people have to vote for songs they don't like?

If giving a rating is designed to be helpful to the artist - so they know what level they're at, then maybe giving someone a percentage score should be separate from the voting process.

Example:  You hear a song you think is not very well done, sung whatever...but you want to be helpful to the artist.  Do you think this song is worthy of being in the battle? No.  So you give it a rating, and you don't vote.

If you thought it was a good song - then vote, and give it a rating as well.
#5June 26th, 2006 · 02:14 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Well, I think every song "is worthy" to be in the battle, and I'm not the one to say wich one should be in te tha battle or not... but I can vote the song, as objective as I can, so the artist decide if his song should be in a battle. And no, I don't think "the purpose of voting is to help the songs you think deserve it win".

And you have to notice that we need more votes! people is not voting enough. That's a fact.  If the elections were somehow similar to bandamp I would give the politician that sucks a bad rating and a good rating to the one I think is better.

Why separating  the "percentage score" from the voting process?
#6June 26th, 2006 · 02:38 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
These are just my ideas...I started this thread so we could find out what everyone thinks...we're bound to all have different opinions about the whys and whats and hows of votings....

The reason I suggested separating the votes from the ratings...is so that each can have it's own purpose.  Votes for battle, and ratings for helping the artist know what you think.  And it's just an idea.  I hear a lot that people think the voting/battle/rating process needs improvement...so I'm just throwing in my two cents, and hoping that we could all develope some good ideas if we brainstorm together
#7June 26th, 2006 · 04:29 PM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Why separating  the "percentage score" from the voting process?

An interesting idea.
One click voting - you either vote for a track or you dont, theres no other value attached to the vote.
If it was that simple, maybe more people would do it.
#8June 26th, 2006 · 06:16 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
The real purpose of the rating is to create an average of the quality of the song; how people think the song is, about composition and recording.
Just that.

> Iszil
#9June 26th, 2006 · 11:43 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Iszil wrote…
The real purpose of the rating is to create an average of the quality of the song; how people think the song is, about composition and recording.
Just that.

> Iszil

Yes that is true but not EVERY  person gives a rating to a song they listen to ,only the ones they feel are worthy of their battle vote.See for yourself how many views compared to votes there is for songs.How does that give anybody an idea of where they are at?I also see something like a click developing here.Same bunch posting/commenting on each others stuff.I agree with you 100% Spoon,I also think it should be mandatory to rate a certain percentage of songs a month.And if someone gives a sabotaged fueled vote(i.e 10%-40%)that person should explain why to the artist via email or to the  moderator.Then people might not sabotage if they have to stand behind it.I dunno know just some thoughts.
#10June 27th, 2006 · 12:09 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
perhaps seperate voting is necessary...  BUT.. and I MEAN BUT....

The main problem we have here is also people not rating songs based on true quality and content, and instead are basing voting on whether they like the style of the song...

The rating process is there to determine just that, how good is THIS SONG, not how much do I like progressive rock... or how little I like grunge....  There was already floated in another thread, and again in Swordfish's Bandamp Extra, the idea of splitting the rating into two parts, one for musical composition, and one for recording quality... this is also a good idea, because sometimes a great song gets a crappy rating because of crappy recording, because the person maybe can't afford anything but a $8 dynamic mic, and free software, and is too stupid to understand the dang full featured software like Cool Edit pro.(umm, hmm... that's not about me, it's about some hypothetical person, yeah, that's it)

Anyway, that said, I would like to see simplified BATTLE voting, and more indepth rating system...  that would be good... all the way around...  And there are certain songs that DONT belong in battles... that was the inspiration for my NOODLE KNIGHTS.. though, I feel bad, I am a bit behind in getting it updated...  but soon.. I promise...

Jim "Da NOODLE KING" K
#11June 27th, 2006 · 05:19 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Perhaps the two things should be separate then:  the battle, and the review.

Voting for a track in the battle would be easy enough so that even the laziest person would do it in a click.

For those that want to contribute more, they can review the song. There are people out their that contribute a lot to BA in reviews, there are also people that don't review well because they don't know how, are reluctant, or just plain dont want to.

The fact that the battle is a competition and that the reviews are supposed to be objective seems to be a bit of a conflict.
#12June 27th, 2006 · 07:25 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Daeljan wrote…
The fact that the battle is a competition and that the reviews are supposed to be objective seems to be a bit of a conflict.

Well, the idea behind the battle is: create a really great song that will receive great objective reviews & ratings... It's not about getting your song plugged... I mean, that way, I would have dozens of "friends" create accounts and vote for me 100% and to everyone else in the battle 10%. Then it would turn into a popularity contest... That's not the way.

Rating a song is supposed to be objective. Being moderator, I do check out voting behaviour and fortunately the majority of the members who DO vote, know to do it reasonably objectively.

But I have seen malicious voting behaviour... And these (very few) people are now dealing with the consequences.... It's that simple...

Personally I would prefer every member casting votes to every song in the battle, that way all songs would get an equal amount of votes, and the averages would make the most sense.
#13June 27th, 2006 · 10:38 AM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
to put in my thoughts...

I don't think a one-click system for battles would be any more accurate than the current system because if you only had to click on a song you liked, I think it would come down to popularity instead of song quality.

Also, in my opinion.. separating the voting system into review and battle categories would only make it more complicated. Right now, for me, it's easiest to vote on a song and then forget about it. Also... by separating the system, I think that would decrease further the amount of votes going towards song review.

Someone had mentioned in another thread making it mandatory to rate any song you commented on. I think that's a great idea.
#14June 27th, 2006 · 01:09 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Funny, I vote on (nearly) every single song posted on this site.  This is done for two reasons:
1)  I think it gives the artist and idea of what others think of their song, which can be a means to self-improvement.  This is obviously better if the person rating also leaves a comment.
2)  It allows me to see what songs I've already listened to when I go to the "browse" page!  This is not as daft as it may seem - I post a reasonable amount of comments, and I listen to just about everything; but sometimes a few can slip through the net (as it were!). Those that do slip through the net, are picked up by me when I do a quick check every now and then.   In fact, that happened to one of Spoony's just the other day!!!

If I think that the playing, construction, and recording are rubbish, I'll give a 10% RATING (not a vote for what I think is the best - I rate the songs).  If the song is truly excellent, then it gets a 90%.  As yet, no song has received a 100% professional vote from me (but some have come extremely close!)

I like other people rating my songs - what other measure of progress is there for an individual on this site?  Yes, people can comment and say that this one's better than the last, etc, etc, but that's not a true measure of improvement.

In every walk of life, there are people who don't do things in the spirit of fairness.  Well, fine - if that's how they get their kicks so be it.  It's a sad person that feels they have to try and rig a friendly bit of competition between what is, essentially, a group of "friends" that get together because of their common interest!

'Nuff said
#15July 30th, 2006 · 02:32 AM
2 threads
28 posts
New Zealand
What I truly wished one could do was have a box in the music upload of one's profile, and untick "allow rating". I personally am not at all interested in having people "rate" my music, as that is meaningless to me. I just have my music here to promote it, not to find out what the majority of people rate my songs to be. Imagine a band like Einsturzende Neubauten posting their music on bandamp. Their song would probably be getting and average of 20-30%, but why would it matter, as it's the handful of people who care deeply about that "type" of music, whom you are trying to reach.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 5:09 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.