#1March 2nd, 2006 · 08:28 PM
16 threads / 13 songs
43 posts
Canada
Covers Forum?
I did a quick search on the matter and didn't come across anything really but I think It would be cool to have a cover recordings forum. Like I know you guys want to keep this place alive with origonal music which is awsome but I enjoy the occasional cover every now and then. And to make sure the place dosen't get out of hand maybe you could set somthing so you can only post a 1 cover for every 3 origonals you post (if possible). Just an idea that I thought would be cool.
#2March 2nd, 2006 · 08:46 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Support your idea. Some covers, but no battle for them.
But over 4 or 5 of your song you can post a cover. It's better; that way you prove you are serious musician.
Yeah, I like it.

> Iszil
#3March 4th, 2006 · 05:46 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
No!
You can leave a link to your site where your cover songs are submitted. But I am against publishing cover songs via BandAMP.
Imagine what happened if I would do a cover to one of your songs and you wouldn't like it. What would YOU do? Would you please me to delete the bad cover?
#4March 4th, 2006 · 08:59 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Ditto to what Triton says.  If you want to have a cover for all to listen to, then a link to it on  BandAmp would be fine.....  we could have a "Covers Link" page is suppose, but I really think this site should be for original artist music only.
Bad idea! 
#5March 4th, 2006 · 10:36 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
But you can only make famous artists covers, not covers of BandAMP musicians.

> Iszil
#6March 4th, 2006 · 11:41 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
What is the difference between famous artists and BandAMP musicians?
The only difference I see is that we can talk to each others and we're not playing in big events with thousands of spectators or is someone here who does?
Who knows which piece of mine has been published on radio or tv? So am I a famous artist now or not? Who wants to decide?

This website has its rules and if you want to publish covers then create an own website perhaps named like "CoverAMP" or so.

btw. copyrights for the name are by me 

ok not so serious
Carsten
#7March 4th, 2006 · 11:50 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
If I'm not wrong, I have read some mud's or etheon post that says we can upload covers, but they cannot participate on Battles.

> Iszil
#8March 6th, 2006 · 05:44 PM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
Yer, I have seen covers, you can post them, no ones gona slaughter you(unless they're misrable gits). There's no harm in the odd cover here and there. Plus, alot of bands have done awesome covers which are creative in their own right. Ie, Metalica - Wiskey In The Jar, Nightwish- Over The Hills and Far Away, Frou Frou - Holding Out For A Hero. All origanal yet copied. After all, covers maintain a strong position in todays music indastry. Many artists do covers on folk songs or a classicle peice, alot of rock is a set of rifts stolen from clasical or folk. Half of Jimmy Hendrix's songs where covers.
This site is about new music. I agree, therefore, that they should stay out of battles but thee is no reason why they can't be posted on to your area. Means people have to search a bit harder but if your that botherd don't upload the song in the fist place. It's fair enough.
IMO
#9March 6th, 2006 · 06:31 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Entheon stated that covers are ok, as long as the person posting it takes care of any royalty payments and such see http://forum.bandamp.com/Abuse/6012_page2.html

I hope that clears some things up...
                        JimK
#10March 7th, 2006 · 08:33 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Sorry, I get a feeling that I am not sure being at the right place here on BandAMP. Do you wanna hear my covers? I can post many. good and bad ones. So which one first?
#11March 7th, 2006 · 12:07 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
I'm pretty sure that, in this country anyway, fees and royalties are applicable only if the recorded property is generating income of some kind. Posting your version of a cover on this sight would not be actionable unless you were asking members to pay for downloading and keeping all the loot yourself. This issue came up with a project i was involved with years ago so perhaps the law has changed but I doubt. it. Any lawyers in the house?

As to posting covers in general the question, to me, is why would you do it? If your cover is a stark copy of the original, keep it to yourself. If the version you do is a cool arrangement, different style, satire, re-harmonization or otherwise has your unmistakable stamp on it, I think it should be allowed on. If this is a site for writers only, i think we should come to terms with the fact that we are really just re-writing stuff that's come before, albeit in our own styles. This is especially true of the blues, country , reggae and other folk genres. I'm not about to tell someone who writes a blues tune   not to post it, even though it sounds like every other blues tune in the world. I hear 1-4-5 changes on every third post on the forum, does that mean i have to come up with new conventions (cliches to some) every time I write a song? I hope not since I ran out of ideas in 1982.

I certainly agree that covers should not compete but it can be edifying to hear what other people hear when they restructure an NIN song or , and here's where it could get really interesting/disturbing/funny/uplifting, something like Bohemian Rhapsody. Part of writing a song is hearing where you want to take it. The arrangement muscles in your head might get a workout and actually become stronger if that's what you focus on while listening to a post as opposed to the lyrics, chords, melody etc. i know we all listen to arrangement now but I believe in the case of covers, more of our brain power would be focused on that (also ,of course, performance,mix etc.)

If another function of this site is to bring people together to collaborate, the common ground of a cover tune might be helpful. Posting a Chili Peppers cover that has your incredible guitar work on it might attract a like-minded bassist and kindle a collborative effort that benefits all. that bassist might never have thought to contact you if your originals weren't his or her "cup of tea".

On the flip side, a dedicated forum might be a good idea. Everyone has done covers on their way to becoming the accomplished writers they are now. Actually posting them however, is distracting if, like me , you go through all the new posts and give a listen or two. i don't want to chide anybody, but there are already enough silly or completely undeveloped or downright pointless posts in the forum to warrant a seperate home for covers. It would, of course, take up real estate on the server and add another layer of admin.

Naturally, these are my opinions. If you'd like to use them, please remit payment to me via Paypal.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 7:07 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.