1 2
#16October 15th, 2005 · 08:52 AM
2 threads
10 posts
United States of America
covers or no covers?
I notice Crystalcherry still has 2 songs in question still on her site, which is fine by me.

Covers or no covers? 
And who really cares?
I believe artists have a right to do cover songs.
Let the legal decisions be made in the courtroom not by music site admin.
We know our rights and playing cover songs is legal.
#17October 15th, 2005 · 01:25 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
legal but sometimes royalties and fees are incurred - so that's where it gets tricky - the site admins have not yet done all their homework on it so we generally try to cover our butts if at all possible...

covers are allowed on the site but not in the battle

posting covers is generally discouraged atm

anyone posting a cover is fully responsible for meeting the liscensing requirements of that song and paying any related fees and royalties to the owner of the material - we don't take any responsibility for the content public users choose to post on a public forum except for administrative action for gross and obvious abuses
#18October 15th, 2005 · 02:00 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Well, bill, you can do anything you want to do, that does not make it right.
I personally do not care for the "who cares?" attitude. Obviously many people care, that is why they created (hard work and a caring spirit) this site for free, so that we can get feedback and grow as musicians.
As far as rules go, whatever their reasoning behind them, I believe we should all be respectful of their wishes.
I hope you don't take anything I have said in the wrong way, I personally have nothing against you (I don't know you), but I care about respecting other people.
On that note, good luck bandamping
#19October 16th, 2005 · 01:04 AM
2 threads
10 posts
United States of America
We all want to protect our music, and our rights.

Having said that-
We all have the  right to hear somebody's version of a cover song.

If somebody's version is better or different  than the original,
then, I want to hear it.

As we all know, this 'copyright business' can get out of hand, at the expense of the listeners, and artists too.

No problem with  the rules here, and actually appreciate a liberal interpretation i.e.
a little *bending of the rules* is acceptable to me.

I would say uploading somebody's elses music recording without their permission, is criminal.  That's a different story all together.

I 'care'.  I care about the artist ... AND the listener.  Because I am both.
#20October 16th, 2005 · 02:50 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
billbrett wrote…
We all want to protect our music, and our rights.

Having said that-
We all have the  right to hear somebody's version of a cover song.

If somebody's version is better or different  than the original,
then, I want to hear it.

Of course we do.  I'm not disagreeing with anyone's rights. Everyone has a right to do anything they want to do. My point is simply about this site: Someone else, other than me, created it...therefore I can either abide by their rules, convince them to change their rules, or simply ignore them and get booted off the site, bc back to my earlier point, it's not my baby.

I'd love to do some covers, but I feel greatly inferior. I would want the original artist to thank me if I did a cover of theirs, i.e. when Prince (or whatever his name is now) actually thanked Sinead OConnor when she did "Nothing Compares". After all, it was his song, he could have said "no, nobody will ever do this song better than me" but then no one would have ever heard of the song, except for Prince fans. And no one, except for Prince fans, would have ever known what a great song it is. She one up'ed him and he thanked her bc he realized it was about the song and not him.

Well, peace out, and I hope you take no offense to me.
#21October 18th, 2005 · 09:48 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
just to cover our butts here's how it has to be:

we reserve the right to remove any song at any time for any reason with or without warning and with or without providing any reason to the owner of the song.

if you are the original artist of a cover song on this site and you don't want it to be on the site send one of the administrators a private message and we will remove it

we hope to never be or need to be as mean as this and we will try to always give a reason for what we do here - but just for legal purposes... essentially:

we reserve the right to do - on this website - anything at any time for any reason with or withou a reason and with or without a good cause...

so don't piss us off! lol and we will try to return the favor by not being complete jerks - cuz in the end we're all just people trying to do what we want to do and that's what counts - but to be safe, and since this is getting into deeper territory i figured i'd make it clear here...

also we will hopefully be posting close to what i just said in a more official and legal format on the FAQ and or the About section as some sort of disclaimer...

ok that's all the butt-headedness i can muster for one day

happy BandAMPing!
#22October 18th, 2005 · 02:15 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
entheon wrote…
ok that's all the butt-headedness i can muster for one day
That's ALL you can muster, you must have had a busy night
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 6:25 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.