#1May 15th, 2017 · 02:20 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
One Star At A Time (May 30d)

This song is not in a battle

Hello friends~

This is a concept track for the epilogue of a fantasy/sci-fi book.  It's in three fairly distinct parts, one for each of the three storylines that is wrapped up by the book.  From the outside it might make the track look a little too busy.  That is probably valid criticism, but it was definitely part of the idea from the outset.

Wait For Me, Beacon (0:00-0:45)
The beginning (and refrains) are from the point of view of Odessis.  She's crashed a starship but she's on the path to getting what she wanted.  A sort of classic "the end is really the beginning" thing with a pinch of neurotic determination.

They Owe You Their Lives (0:45-2:01)
The second part is Djet and Cohmindra standing in an open field, looking out over a sprawling refugee camp.

I'll Follow You (2:18-3:22)
The third part is Diokris.  She's stranded in a mind-bending place but she (finally?) knows which way is forward.  Being alone is better than dead.

The graphic is from some commonly used imagery in the 2016 anime film adaptation of the book Your Name.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2June 3rd, 2017 · 07:35 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
This is just supremely epic!! I don't know how I missed this before??

All the sounds are cool, it all fits together very well. I really think it is cool how you've separated it into 3 parts. Lots going on for sure, but I think it fits this style properly.
I really enjoyed listening to this. It's not my genre of music, but you've made this really interesting for me.

Are you using FL? I use Reaper and throw a bunch of VSTs together and input a bunch of random midi notes until something half-interesting happens. But this is full-blown fantastic. Very well planned out.
#3June 4th, 2017 · 02:56 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Thank you for the kind words!  I put this up for the 30-day challenge but it went by kind of quietly without comment.  I trust people heard it anyway, given the views it collected in that time :P

Logic Pro X is what I'm using on the mac.  I've used FL in the past but pretty much just for one song that I posted on here about 9 years ago (the Thievery one, wtf time flies) and I've tried Reason and a couple of others, but Logic has been good for me.

I'm always looking to make the melody go forward somewhere logical from any given point in the song, but I'm usually not looking back at what came before.  Forward forward forward.  Eventually returning to reprise some past melody hopefully feels satisfying as a result.  I want the music to flow the way that lyrics normally flow, each sentence always needing to make sense as the words build to a thought, as the thoughts build to a theme, but never repeating so often that it feels shallow.  For a song like this, the music has a lot to say, and just repeating the same 8 bars over and over again isn't a rich enough experience to convey it.

I did come to this one (once it was time to start) with a melody for the first 37 seconds of the song, but after that it was a rolling window of about 10 seconds of building a melody that explored the theme within the limits of key, rhythm, etc.

I'm pretty self-conscious about the use of strings, but this time I felt like I got the compositional power I wanted out of them, which was pretty satisfying!
#4June 7th, 2017 · 06:46 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
This must have been a lot of work! I donīt like the hammering piano much, but I listened through it and I love the violins and the changes/breakdowns!
Also some nice soundscapes!
#5June 8th, 2017 · 12:18 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
It definitely was a far bit of work.  I pretty much had to come at it three separate times to do the different sections, each time with a different mood.

Thanks for listening 
#6June 9th, 2017 · 10:58 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
excellent
excellent. the mix is about as good as it gets. great mood/vibe.  The changes were exactly where they needed to be. It didn't drone on like some songs do. Nice change and elements added or taken away. The sounds you choose to put together fit just right.  a lot of people think it's easy to do this type of music, it's not. There is more to it than just grabbing loops and sticking them together. You did a fantastic job on this one.
#7June 10th, 2017 · 04:35 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
re: excellent
toastedgoat wrote…
excellent. the mix is about as good as it gets. great mood/vibe.  The changes were exactly where they needed to be. It didn't drone on like some songs do. Nice change and elements added or taken away. The sounds you choose to put together fit just right.  a lot of people think it's easy to do this type of music, it's not. There is more to it than just grabbing loops and sticking them together. You did a fantastic job on this one.

Welcome back from your trip!  Thanks!  I'm glad this one didn't get lost after posting it for last challenge 

All the way up until the last revision (I did 5, more or less, leaving out mixing), that third section really struggled to maintain cohesion.  I had to strip away the frills of trying to do an evolving key change and just focus instead on giving the piano underneath a nudge towards the minor without adding accidentals in the key signature.

I'm glad you extended the challenge or else I wouldn't have gone after making this!
#8June 10th, 2017 · 11:37 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
re: re: excellent
TonightsLastSong wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

Welcome back from your trip!  Thanks!  I'm glad this one didn't get lost after posting it for last challenge 

All the way up until the last revision (I did 5, more or less, leaving out mixing), that third section really struggled to maintain cohesion.  I had to strip away the frills of trying to do an evolving key change and just focus instead on giving the piano underneath a nudge towards the minor without adding accidentals in the key signature.

I'm glad you extended the challenge or else I wouldn't have gone after making this!

lol I haven't left yet. I leave in two days, I'll be gone until the 18th .  I still have a lot of work to do on the song I'm doing . I think I'll spend the rest of the day working on it.   Again top rating on your song.
#9June 12th, 2017 · 06:54 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Battle
I dint know if u r interested??

but check his out

http://forum.bandamp.com/The_Pit/45355.html
#10June 12th, 2017 · 08:16 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
re: Battle
swordfish wrote…
I dint know if u r interested??

but check his out

http://forum.bandamp.com/The_Pit/45355.html

Yep!  That's what this is for!  I guess I didn't say it outright in the post, but I tried to squeeze "30 day challenge" it into the title :P

I'll post my thing for this month in a few days
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 12:39 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.