1 2

#1April 14th, 2015 · 05:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Celtic Rangers

This song is not in a battle

It's been too long since I created something new - 18 months.
This may sound easy, but the fingering is tricky.
Recorded this with logic pro x for the first time - it is very sensitive, it was picking up noise from the fan on my mac and the street, so much so had to use adobe audition noise reduction.  I think I will go back to Cubase, but I'll have to buy the latest version as Cubase 5 is not supported on the mac os I'm on

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 14th, 2015 · 09:20 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
yeah
Very soothing & great clear  tone of guitars blends like chimes.  .Melody classic , essence of grace & poise. Actually imho a bit of real ambience never hurts. I quite often record with the back sliding doors wide open so there are usually birds, breeze in trees or kids playing etc.BTW love your playing
#3April 15th, 2015 · 01:51 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: yeah
yokoinc wrote…
Very soothing & great clear  tone of guitars blends like chimes.  .Melody classic , essence of grace & poise. Actually imho a bit of real ambience never hurts. I quite often record with the back sliding doors wide open so there are usually birds, breeze in trees or kids playing etc.BTW love your playing :)
I've always wanted to record with real ambience, but in this case the fan from my Mac made it sound as though their was hiss (if I would have had enough cable run, I could have isolated the mac), I could have probably put up with the noise of vehicles passing by, but it's not a nice sound unless it was related to the music. Would much rather have the sound of birds singing or the sound of the sea on the shore.
It's been so long since I recorded anything, it almost feels alien, especially using a Mac for the first time - coming from a PC and a different DAW Logic Pro X makes it even more alien. I'm selling a few things on eBay at the moment, the cash I raise will go to buying Cubase 8 and a wide angle zoom lens for my Canon DSLR camera.
#4April 16th, 2015 · 10:16 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
13 posts
Brazil
since i'm a fan of celtic music, of course im already a fan of this. beautiful, nice technique dude. you mentioned however, that logic is more sensitive than cubase. how can a daw be more sensitive than another? isnt it the microphone that affects the recording, rather than the daw?
#5April 17th, 2015 · 01:53 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
sainthills wrote…
since i'm a fan of celtic music, of course im already a fan of this. beautiful, nice technique dude. you mentioned however, that logic is more sensitive than cubase. how can a daw be more sensitive than another? isnt it the microphone that affects the recording, rather than the daw?
You may well be right, I could be over-sensitive myself... I'm using the same mics and audio interface, but I know you can adjust the sensitivity of a mic, can't remember how what you do to achieve that, accept my previous audio interface had a knob to adjust the sensitivity of the mic, so Logic Pro may have this built in.
I could test and compare on the next recording using cubase on my PC and have the mac on positioned in the same place.
I just remembered, it's the impidience that effects the sensitivity of the mic. I still have the Art Gold Tube Pre Amp that has this impedience control, I use it to get a retro sound sometimes.
Anyway thanks for the thumbs up on the music, it was a real challenge with the fingering to get that Celtic sound on a standard six string.
#6April 17th, 2015 · 01:51 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I love it. Though I regard this more as medieval than typical Celtic - either way this type of music totally brings me to a time of castles, graceful ladies and Burgundian banquets (but when the associations with ill hygiene and the plague sets in I'm always glad to find myself in modern age again )

Ah, anyway, brilliant play there, clarity of the recording is top notch. And about that real ambiance: indeed birds, flowing water and leaves rushing in the wind are a bit more pleasant than a computer fan's whizz, but I didn't notice it. It really sounds really really good and makes me want to work on my own guitaring skills.

cheers!
#7April 17th, 2015 · 02:04 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
I love it. Though I regard this more as medieval than typical Celtic - either way this type of music totally brings me to a time of castles, graceful ladies and Burgundian banquets (but when the associations with ill hygiene and the plague sets in I'm always glad to find myself in modern age again )

Ah, anyway, brilliant play there, clarity of the recording is top notch. And about that real ambiance: indeed birds, flowing water and leaves rushing in the wind are a bit more pleasant than a computer fan's whizz, but I didn't notice it. It really sounds really really good and makes me want to work on my own guitaring skills.

cheers!
I did wonder about the genre - I'm hopeless when it comes to genres, there are so many now, not like back in the sixties, you could count them on one hand.
I used Adobe Audition to reduce the unwanted noise, it's Ok, but it does also get reduce the natural acoustic ambience sounds of the guitar, which are probably the nicest, so I used it sparingly in that the guitar kept most of its acousticness.  I think I could try and mute the mac by putting a rug or something over it, but I need to make sure it's ventilated, as Logix Pro X uses a lot of the CPU, working it hard, hence the fans kick in.
#8April 20th, 2015 · 05:48 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Great
must be my gear ..

I'm getting clipping to hell??

john T
#9April 21st, 2015 · 02:09 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Great
swordfish wrote…
must be my gear ..

I'm getting clipping to hell??

john T
Try listening on your iPad. There is an HTML player now, for listening through smart phones and tablets.
I know you have mentioned clipping problems on other uploads here on the AMP. This tracks use less than 0 dB's on my system. I'm guessing, check what you have on your master out channel on your mixer, are the faders at zero decibels?
Cheers
#10April 22nd, 2015 · 10:18 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Wow, great medieval-celtic piece! The composition is brilliant and your guitar sounds amazing. There a few sloppy fingering here and there but no big deal - the song sounds quite tricky so it's understandable.
Anyhow, fantastic Job.

> Ish
#11April 22nd, 2015 · 02:45 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Iszil wrote…
Wow, great medieval-celtic piece! The composition is brilliant and your guitar sounds amazing. There a few sloppy fingering here and there but no big deal - the song sounds quite tricky so it's understandable.
Anyhow, fantastic Job.

> Ish
Thanks Iz, yes very tricky fingering to get that sound. Yes a few notes are dampened in error, especially at the end, it was the best take of many.
Nice to see you on the AMP, are you doing much in the way of music these days, how are your studies going?
#12April 22nd, 2015 · 06:29 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Denis wrote…
Iszil wrote…
Anyhow, fantastic Job.

> Ish
Thanks Iz, yes very tricky fingering to get that sound. Yes a few notes are dampened in error, especially at the end, it was the best take of many.
Nice to see you on the AMP, are you doing much in the way of music these days, how are your studies going?

It's been years since I don't record something new, but I have some ideas stored somewhere. The whole process of sitting in front a computer to sequence VSTs and record seems so tedious now that I just don't feel like doing it, but I still play guitar and bass every other day. I'm currently playing and singing in a cumbia band. My studies are doing well but there are still a few years to go. I'm also climbing a lot so that's taking a huge part of my spare time.

Sometimes I come to the AMP but it's been a while since I don't review anything.

Anyway, thanks for asking. I can see you've been quite active musically speaking, which is great.

> Ish
#13April 24th, 2015 · 01:48 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
140 posts
United Kingdom
Some beautiful medieval licks in here. I really enjoyed this. The breaks between the parts are a little too long for me to believe this as one complete piece rather than 3 separate movements but I really like all 3 parts.
#14April 24th, 2015 · 02:29 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ktartandude wrote…
Some beautiful medieval licks in here. I really enjoyed this. The breaks between the parts are a little too long for me to believe this as one complete piece rather than 3 separate movements but I really like all 3 parts.
Yes I too feel the breaks between the sections are too long.  At the time of recording I found it difficult to make the breaks shorter - with more practice I'm sure I would have managed it.  Having said that it is a bugger to play this composition to create the sound, even this take is nowhere perfect.
I could edit, but I feel that's cheating and it may even change the feel, and the feel is so so important.
Thanks for your comments
#15May 2nd, 2015 · 03:53 PM
59 threads / 56 songs
162 posts
Netherlands
medieval-celtic indeed!i hear in the background a flute and some strings..in my mind.maybe for you to add ??
nice one
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 2:49 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.