#1January 5th, 2015 · 05:11 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hurt (cover, concept)

This song is not in a battle

This is a Totem Spectre version of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt", most famous for it's Johnny Cash cover. I'm working on a new project, and this my personal concept version of one of the songs intended for that project, so the eventual thing may become very different (for one thing, I won't be singing it), time will tell. Anyway, this is what it is right now, and I want to upload tunes to BandAMP more often, so I thought I'd share.

I actually wanted to upload my niece's song, but I have to get her permission first of course. She has written a song and played it in band formation as part of a school project, and there's something really catchy about it, so I offered to record it at my studio. Details will follow once I get permission to upload it.

For now, "Hurt" will have to do.

Hope you enjoy,
cheers.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 5th, 2015 · 02:50 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I prefer your version - so much more energy...Yeah
#3January 5th, 2015 · 10:40 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hell yeah!
Dang....!!!  that sounds freaking awesome!
#4January 23rd, 2015 · 01:15 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Thanks guys - it's the first thing I recorded in my new studio setup (same equipment as I had in my apartment though, but the new room just provides for a much more focused workflow, I just love it!)
#5March 29th, 2015 · 06:12 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
wow
See just goes to show sitting here early Monday mornings ain't so bad with a coffee sardine on toast , this makes it special . Love your take on this , those guitars really clean out the ears . BTW I like your singing , glad to hear the new studio is behaving & would seem stimulating your creative juices. More of it I say Very cool & thanks for posting
#6April 1st, 2015 · 02:53 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: wow
yokoinc wrote…
See just goes to show sitting here early Monday mornings ain't so bad with a coffee sardine on toast , this makes it special . Love your take on this , those guitars really clean out the ears . BTW I like your singing , glad to hear the new studio is behaving & would seem stimulating your creative juices. More of it I say Very cool & thanks for posting

Thanks! Plenty of inspiration, for sure. Work is distracting though - not fond of that effect, I had the vocals to a new version (which was supposed to be the pilot of a new project) recorded, but not getting around to wrapping up that demo much. Also: I now seem to have a moth problem in my studio room (thanks, previous owner, for having such excellent bug-hygiene  ) There's only been a few of them but that's a few too many IMO. Pulling out the DIY removal tools, surely hoping I'm not going to be confronted with an actual by-the-dozens plague and having to call a professional extermination service. Those little buggers (elegant though they may be) sure undermine that workflow I mentioned     
#7April 2nd, 2015 · 08:59 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
sounds amazing !  I don't have great music theory knowledge but it all sounds like its professional to me. 
#8April 2nd, 2015 · 06:27 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
BLOODY HELL !!!!
FANTASTIC ......

this is the first time Ive ever ..ever heard these lyrics in a different context!!!

This is honestly.......awesome !!!!!

man u must've spent ages creating this truly impressive song

I am dipped hung out and dried in your sound lexicon

RESPECT full on from me...........for going at such an iconic song
 and making it work in a different soundscape

Thank You ....... I Love this

Welldone......fish
#9April 3rd, 2015 · 07:40 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
very nice. I like this version better than NIN. I love the mix on this, and choice of sounds.
#10April 7th, 2015 · 10:49 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Not familiar with the original, I really enjoyed this song/production.
Lovely deep sound (on my system) with pleasant audible vocals, reminding me of Nick Cave.
Great mix!

Get those bugs out!  Isn't there a bio-solution? some other bug that eats 'm and die themselves as soon as they are out of food supply?

#11April 10th, 2015 · 03:25 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: BLOODY HELL !!!!
swordfish wrote…
FANTASTIC ......

this is the first time Ive ever ..ever heard these lyrics in a different context!!!

This is honestly.......awesome !!!!!

man u must've spent ages creating this truly impressive song

I am dipped hung out and dried in your sound lexicon

RESPECT full on from me...........for going at such an iconic song
 and making it work in a different soundscape

Thank You ....... I Love this

Welldone......fish

Wow! Thanks! That's a mighty compliment!

Yes I did take the time (several weeks) to rehearse the song, to get used to it, get a feel for it, so I could form the idea of how I wanted to record it and for the direction I wanted the project this was to be a demo for to take. Once I had a clear idea, recording it went swiftly.

MaxdB wrote…
Not familiar with the original, I really enjoyed this song/production.
Lovely deep sound (on my system) with pleasant audible vocals, reminding me of Nick Cave.
Great mix!

Get those bugs out!  Isn't there a bio-solution? some other bug that eats 'm and die themselves as soon as they are out of food supply?

Thanks! Nick Cave, well I suppose I can count Nick Cave as one of my lesser influences indeed!

And about the bugs: thinking of spiders that eat the larvae, but I installed a blue anti-insect light yesterday and it caught six of them last night! In total, that makes 18 bugs removed in 13 days.

I'm having the dormer fixed and painted, turns out there was rotten wood and an opening through which bugs could get under the roof (and subsequently, into the attic). That part is fixed now.

We're also setting up a plan to completely overhaul the attic, tidying it up, putting better insulation and closing all the holes and openings that would allow bugs to get in. Once that's done, not only will I have a properly insulated sound-proofed studio, it will also be bug free and get that workflow going once again!
#12April 24th, 2015 · 03:42 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
140 posts
United Kingdom
I was a little scared to click this link because NIN Hurt is one of my favourite songs and I was afraid you might make me hate you

Happily, that is not the case at all. This is a fantastic re-imagining of the song and I really like it. Your vocals are great. The guitar tone and sound is amazing.

I do dislike the maraca sound since I find it distracting- the timing seems off to my ears.

However, this is still brilliant. The production is spot on and I believe Trent would approve
#13April 25th, 2015 · 01:54 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
13 posts
Brazil
yo! this is really good!  but regarding the mix, i think i'd add some variation to the panned shakers. their rhythm is so present that sometimes i concentrate on them more than your voice. idk, perhaps make the mix a bit wider, it feels to me as if the guitar is competing for presence with the vocals. i'd say give the vocals more space and pan the guitars.

but thats just me. keep on the good work, i look forward to your future productions!
#14April 26th, 2015 · 04:35 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
ktartandude wrote…
I was a little scared to click this link because NIN Hurt is one of my favourite songs and I was afraid you might make me hate you

Happily, that is not the case at all. This is a fantastic re-imagining of the song and I really like it. Your vocals are great. The guitar tone and sound is amazing.

I do dislike the maraca sound since I find it distracting- the timing seems off to my ears.

However, this is still brilliant. The production is spot on and I believe Trent would approve :)

Thanks! That means a lot. And about the maracas: I wanted to put a preferably high-frequency 1/4 percussive element in there for frequency spectrum and pacing purposes, and couldn't get a satisfying hi-hat or cymbal sound. I ended up with shakers instead, toyed with the panning and effects until I got to what it has become. I agree that the shaker effect has intrusive (distracting) properties, and to an extent I purposely decided to do it this way (and I could go to length about the philosophy behind it).  Of course, such is the blessing and the curse of one-man productions, one doesn't get to spar with different perspectives, alternative approaches and second opinions - that's where this forum comes in

sainthills wrote…
yo! this is really good!  but regarding the mix, i think i'd add some variation to the panned shakers. their rhythm is so present that sometimes i concentrate on them more than your voice. idk, perhaps make the mix a bit wider, it feels to me as if the guitar is competing for presence with the vocals. i'd say give the vocals more space and pan the guitars.

but thats just me. keep on the good work, i look forward to your future productions!

Thanks! Also: the shakers again! In hindsight I might have had to simply lower their volume a little. I'll take that lesson along to the mix of the demo of the project this is a demo for. Or for a future remix in general. Surely I could have done more with the panning, particularly on the distorted guitars (the clean guitars are panned quite wide apart, I tried hard left/right but that conflicted with the effect of the shakers and the very deep drum hit which has a wide panning effect to it). Again something to experiment with in the future.

And: in regard to future productions: this is newer   
#15May 8th, 2015 · 08:56 AM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
This is awesome, really wide sound with vox in the middle, works great, panning on the shaker is good, nice loose rhythm feel to it as well, the bass feels a little hollow/or midrange was it recorded direct input or via amp, maybe cut some mids or highs to warm it up, say take 2db off the top freqs and push the volume on it up a little bit more to compensate, might separate it from the guitars a little bit. great cover though love the both the original and the johnny cash version.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 3:49 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.