1 2
#16October 9th, 2013 · 06:54 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
your mixing is real good, nice 3D separation.  some minor issues that I'm sure your already aware of,  they have already been mentioned.

The drum track you have is ok, you could really spice it up with a little more work in the drum editor.  Change the velocity, and small time adjustments, will give  it a more human feel. Break it down measure by measure, making minor adjustments  to each measure.  

With the drums are you splitting the tracks out to separate audio tracks for mixing?  Does each piece in the kit have it's own audio track ?

Good idea about the drum editor, I do make some small changes, I generally will pick a pre-set rhythm and change the rhythm to suit the music.
I use EzDrummer - you can select multitrack in the  EzDrummer mixer and Cubase Midi that seperates all the drum tracks,  so that you have independant ones for Kick, Snare, Hats, Overheads and Toms - I usually add some EQ and compression.
I don't mix down the drums as some do to an audio track if that's what you mean, I don't see the point of that other than taking up less space on your tracks - is there any other benefit?

You don't have to send the vsti output channels to audio now days, if you have enough cpu, and ram, to run all the effects and processing you would need at mixdown.  The practice was more common when you  would overload the cpu.  Back then we would either freeze the tracks, or more common was to bounce the vsti track/s to audio.

The other reason to bounce to audio was, to have the ability to do deep editing/automation (penciling automation visually looking at the waveform).
 With the computers we have today, and the software upgrades that have happened in the last 5 years, you don't need to bounce the midi, into the audio for mix down... unless you want to.
I said audio because of habit,  What I meant was ,, the drums are not just stereo tracks from the vsti.
Each piece has it's own track...vstimidi or audio?  I was pretty sure you did have separate tracks.
#17October 13th, 2013 · 04:44 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
Denis wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
your mixing is real good, nice 3D separation.  some minor issues that I'm sure your already aware of,  they have already been mentioned.

The drum track you have is ok, you could really spice it up with a little more work in the drum editor.  Change the velocity, and small time adjustments, will give  it a more human feel. Break it down measure by measure, making minor adjustments  to each measure.  

With the drums are you splitting the tracks out to separate audio tracks for mixing?  Does each piece in the kit have it's own audio track ?

Good idea about the drum editor, I do make some small changes, I generally will pick a pre-set rhythm and change the rhythm to suit the music.
I use EzDrummer - you can select multitrack in the  EzDrummer mixer and Cubase Midi that seperates all the drum tracks,  so that you have independant ones for Kick, Snare, Hats, Overheads and Toms - I usually add some EQ and compression.
I don't mix down the drums as some do to an audio track if that's what you mean, I don't see the point of that other than taking up less space on your tracks - is there any other benefit?

You don't have to send the vsti output channels to audio now days, if you have enough cpu, and ram, to run all the effects and processing you would need at mixdown.  The practice was more common when you  would overload the cpu.  Back then we would either freeze the tracks, or more common was to bounce the vsti track/s to audio.

The other reason to bounce to audio was, to have the ability to do deep editing/automation (penciling automation visually looking at the waveform).
 With the computers we have today, and the software upgrades that have happened in the last 5 years, you don't need to bounce the midi, into the audio for mix down... unless you want to.
I said audio because of habit,  What I meant was ,, the drums are not just stereo tracks from the vsti.
Each piece has it's own track...vstimidi or audio?  I was pretty sure you did have separate tracks.
I somehow missed your reply, just seen it now. Thanks for the info, it's good to know.
Reading back on this thread, you have given me the most practical idea, and that is to go to the drum editor and change velocities, beats, rhythms slightly to make then sound more human, but there is no harm adding real percussion like shakers, tambourine, bongos, which I have. I only add those where it fits the music - common sense really.
#18October 14th, 2013 · 09:49 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Very mellow and relaxing sir!  The guitar is superb!  How do you like EzDrummer?  I've only used the basic kit and like how natural they sound, but I have yet to try any of the expansions.
#19October 15th, 2013 · 01:34 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
UndercoverApple wrote…
Very mellow and relaxing sir!  The guitar is superb!  How do you like EzDrummer?  I've only used the basic kit and like how natural they sound, but I have yet to try any of the expansions.
Nice to hear from you UCA - I assume you are recovering from your recent visit to the hospital, although it seems sometime ago, I remember that your brother bought you a midi keyboard or similar so that you could carry on creating in hospital - I thought that showed just how much love and passion you have for music. I hope that all is well with you.
Thanks for listening to this song. About Ezdrummer, I actually do not like the sound of the standard kit Ezdrummer comes with - it sounds too thin and light, I think the samples are from dw drums. Although the sound is plain raw, with mastering skills and tools you can process them how you would like them to sound. There are several expansion kits, the one on this track is the jamba kit from the Funkmaster series - this is my favourite kit for standard modern music played with real instruments, it is in my opinion the most realistic acoustic sounding kits out of all the expansion kits. I also like vintage drums expansion, but they need tweaking for them to cut through the mix. I also have the Jazz expansion kit, the toms in particular have a great full resonating sound, it's also a nice kit for ballad music too or if the music is delicate.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 28th, 2024 · 2:56 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.