1 2

#1October 1st, 2013 · 01:02 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Friends

This song is not in a battle

It's a bit rough around the edges - not getting as much time to play/practice these days.
Anyway, while I was mastering it, an old friend phoned me out the blue, so I thought I'd call it 'Friends'....

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 3rd, 2013 · 07:16 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
sounds nice... a little loose on the phrases that were doubled... the tone on the acoustic guitars is just flawless... could we pick your brain on how you got it sounding so nice?

so it sounds like one guitar playing the main rhythm, riff or hook (whatever you want to call it)... then one playing the lead... they both sound nice but the lead is so clear and bright and the rhythm is so mellow-sounding... what makes them sound so different? did you change playing style, guitar, or was it the way it was mixed/effected? They were both so perfect in their own way...
#3October 4th, 2013 · 01:51 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
leVee wrote…
sounds nice... a little loose on the phrases that were doubled... the tone on the acoustic guitars is just flawless... could we pick your brain on how you got it sounding so nice?

so it sounds like one guitar playing the main rhythm, riff or hook (whatever you want to call it)... then one playing the lead... they both sound nice but the lead is so clear and bright and the rhythm is so mellow-sounding... what makes them sound so different? did you change playing style, guitar, or was it the way it was mixed/effected? They were both so perfect in their own way...
One guitar playing lead and rhythm at the same time - it's not easy, takes a lot of coordination, feel and control on your timing. This was stereo miced with a pair of pencil condenser mics (pencil condensers are best for acoustic guitar) spread about two feet both pointing at the 12th fret. Lead guitar had xy mic configuration.
Initially put through a tube pre amp, then through a focusrite audio interface.
Used standard compression not too much, enough so that it don't sound processed. Some minor EQ changes inc upper mids and treble then finally a lexicon vintage reverb plug in. Less reverb on the lead to bring it up front.
I love experimenting and learning from professionals. It takes a lot of studio time to get to know your equipment and how to get the best from it - there are some great tutorials on the net from working professional studio engineers, they all work different, but the basics remain the same.
Hope this helps - I'll have to do a YouTube tutorial one day on recording acoustic guitar I often get asked
Cheers
#4October 4th, 2013 · 03:50 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Friends
Denis wrote…
It's a bit rough around the edges - not getting as much time to play/practice these days.
Anyway, while I was mastering it, an old friend phoned me out the blue, so I thought I'd call it 'Friends'....

So its Friday night ... I log into bandamp ....
and find this little beauty!!!

lovely constructed instrumental ...

i dont criticise ... but should have something to say ....
Guitars are mint
Strings .... soooo nice

The drum track is a touch loud and pedestrian ....perhaps a shaker of some sort to knit the percussion together and just add a little espagnol to the mix .. subtle though ... to takeaway the chunkiness of the bass drum ... yep i think that might do it

Thanks Denis ... a very nice toon 

chillin fish
#5October 4th, 2013 · 04:02 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Friends
swordfish wrote…
Denis wrote…

Guitars are mint
Strings .... soooo nice

The drum track is a touch loud and pedestrian ....perhaps a shaker of some sort to knit the percussion together and just add a little espagnol to the mix .. subtle though ... to takeaway the chunkiness of the bass drum ... yep i think that might do it

chillin fish
Thanks swordie,
Yeah nice suggestion.
I'd really really like to have an acoustic drum kit - Hell I don't know if I could be good enough to record with them, but the thought of having real acoustic drums is a wonderous thought.  Funny I've seen a set of Traps Drums on eBay for sale close to where a live, you may have seen them, very compact, no shells on the drums - Man, some drummer had them miced up on YouTube and they sounded fantastic. I've just got nowhere to put them other than storing them in the attic and only playing them when the house is empty - Looks like my studio may go on hold, the cost of living is creeping up and my income has lowered if anything - I still dream I will have a studio, there must be a way.....
#6October 4th, 2013 · 04:08 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: re: Friends
Denis wrote…
swordfish wrote…
Denis wrote…

Guitars are mint
Strings .... soooo nice

chillin fish
Thanks swordie,
Yeah nice suggestion.
I'd really really like to have an acoustic drum kit - Hell I don't know if I could be good enough to record with them, but the thought of having real acoustic drums is a wonderous thought.  Funny I've seen a set of Traps Drums on eBay for sale close to where a live, you may have seen them, very compact, no shells on the drums - Man, some drummer had them miced up on YouTube and they sounded fantastic. I've just got nowhere to put them other than storing them in the attic and only playing them when the house is empty - Looks like my studio may go on hold, the cost of living is creeping up and my income has lowered if anything - I still dream I will have a studio, there must be a way.....

Hi Denis ....

I really like electric kits ..sampled up nicely. so i bought one for my studio ... just so i can wheel in really good live drummers... haven't used it yet ... hope my theory works on gettin a groove though using non robots!!... its the next best thing to building an extension ... and i'm not there yet!!!
#7October 5th, 2013 · 02:24 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: re: re: Friends
swordfish wrote…
Denis wrote…
swordfish wrote…
Denis wrote…

Guitars are mint
Strings .... soooo nice

chillin fish
Thanks swordie,
Yeah nice suggestion.

Hi Denis ....

I really like electric kits ..sampled up nicely. so i bought one for my studio ... just so i can wheel in really good live drummers... haven't used it yet ... hope my theory works on gettin a groove though using non robots!!... its the next best thing to building an extension ... and i'm not there yet!!!
I did look at electric kits, the only one worth having IMO are Roland. Not cheap to get a decent Roland set. As the old saying states "you get what you pay for".
Having said this I would still prefer hearing, feeling drums from an acoustic kit over even the most expensive Roland electric job.
Look forward to hearing some drums from your studio....
#8October 5th, 2013 · 03:34 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Sweet, sweet jam. Your recording is beautiful. The lead slips time by a quarter of a beat a couple of times, but it's beautiful. I concur with swordfish, in that a more human drum track is what's missing to round up your recordings to the next level.

I would seriously consider an electric kit. I've played many, and even the cheaper ones aren't as bad as you'd think. You can't rely on on-board samples, but the feel and, more importantly, compactness, are amazing.
#9October 5th, 2013 · 11:14 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
avinashv wrote…
Sweet, sweet jam. Your recording is beautiful. The lead slips time by a quarter of a beat a couple of times, but it's beautiful. I concur with swordfish, in that a more human drum track is what's missing to round up your recordings to the next level.

I would seriously consider an electric kit. I've played many, and even the cheaper ones aren't as bad as you'd think. You can't rely on on-board samples, but the feel and, more importantly, compactness, are amazing.
I'd have to try them both out, but I can normally tell instantly between an electric Kit and an Acoustic - Electric certainly wins for being practical, less space and easy set-up.
#10October 7th, 2013 · 05:09 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to ... Denis.
A place in space and time where you are invited to ... no ... lured in to experience what many would call the perfection of 'music listening'.
His multitude of talents, his perfection of playing, his mastery of mastering

And would you believe all of it emanates from him in his bedroom

Your studio ; If you got the ground leveled and came up some plans for a construction, I could build it. Or at least give you a week of my time, tools and experience.

I take it that it's possible to put your own acoustic samples into a midi drum machine, and the signal picks up the velocity ... and you work in Cubase. So I bet you'll get a beautiful sound if you want it.
#11October 8th, 2013 · 02:09 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to ... Denis.
A place in space and time where you are invited to ... no ... lured in to experience what many would call the perfection of 'music listening'.
His multitude of talents, his perfection of playing, his mastery of mastering

And would you believe all of it emanates from him in his bedroom

Your studio ; If you got the ground leveled and came up some plans for a construction, I could build it. Or at least give you a week of my time, tools and experience.

I take it that it's possible to put your own acoustic samples into a midi drum machine, and the signal picks up the velocity ... and you work in Cubase. So I bet you'll get a beautiful sound if you want it.
You're a Saint kings...
I would love you to be involved in a studio project. Time will tell, it's all about the money.
I'd need to get some advise on how to level my rear garden, finding the less labour intensive method.           One of the partners where I work built a wooden pub in his back Garden. Someone dug out the footings, then hired this cement truck which had these extendable pipes that could stretch to the location and fill up the hole.
Time will tell.....I often think about it and try to work to my dream, I get lots of ideas, some a little crazy, you have to have an open mind to come up with ideas. The only practical one is to try and get a job with more pay, BUT the big question is will I be happy in a different main job. It's a MASSIVE decision. We spend most of our lives working, yes working, working working working........
#12October 8th, 2013 · 01:23 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
5 posts
United States of America
That is a fantastic sound that you get on the recording for the acoustic guitars. I really like that transition (first one at :43). The bass part works best when it stays simple. There a re a few points where it sounds like you are trying to keep up with the lead riff. This is a solid piece though. Very nice.
#13October 8th, 2013 · 03:41 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
your mixing is real good, nice 3D separation.  some minor issues that I'm sure your already aware of,  they have already been mentioned.

The drum track you have is ok, you could really spice it up with a little more work in the drum editor.  Change the velocity, and small time adjustments, will give  it a more human feel. Break it down measure by measure, making minor adjustments  to each measure.  

With the drums are you splitting the tracks out to separate audio tracks for mixing?  Does each piece in the kit have it's own audio track ?
#14October 9th, 2013 · 11:04 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
your mixing is real good, nice 3D separation.  some minor issues that I'm sure your already aware of,  they have already been mentioned.

The drum track you have is ok, you could really spice it up with a little more work in the drum editor.  Change the velocity, and small time adjustments, will give  it a more human feel. Break it down measure by measure, making minor adjustments  to each measure.  

With the drums are you splitting the tracks out to separate audio tracks for mixing?  Does each piece in the kit have it's own audio track ?

Good idea about the drum editor, I do make some small changes, I generally will pick a pre-set rhythm and change the rhythm to suit the music.
I use EzDrummer - you can select multitrack in the  EzDrummer mixer and Cubase Midi that seperates all the drum tracks,  so that you have independant ones for Kick, Snare, Hats, Overheads and Toms - I usually add some EQ and compression.
I don't mix down the drums as some do to an audio track if that's what you mean, I don't see the point of that other than taking up less space on your tracks - is there any other benefit?
#15October 9th, 2013 · 11:12 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
GPanda wrote…
That is a fantastic sound that you get on the recording for the acoustic guitars. I really like that transition (first one at :43). The bass part works best when it stays simple. There a re a few points where it sounds like you are trying to keep up with the lead riff. This is a solid piece though. Very nice.
The bass part was put together within an hour of recording it, silly of me really as I normally spend more time on each track - My first instincts were to make it more simple, but it did not sound right, as the drums are have quite a nice rhythm, but I should have tried it out as you say and compare. Thanks for your comments
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 1:06 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.