#1December 14th, 2012 · 01:22 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
The Moment - 2nd Mix

This song is not in a battle

Still working on the album...adjusted this mix quite a bit - (well at least I think its quite a bit), and want to know what you guys think compared to how it used to be?
Previous mix: http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/9029.html

Basically just looking for pointers I guess and hoping that I'm getting these tracks relatively close to 'decent' sounding.
Thanks so so much

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 14th, 2012 · 01:31 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I prefer the first mix, warmer sounding, more intimate.
The percussive sounds from your guitar sound flat, I'd re-record it, move the mic further away to get rid of the boomy sound.
I like this song, one of your best
#3December 14th, 2012 · 09:01 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thanks so much for the honest opinion Denis. I see what COMPLETELY what you mean about the first being warmer and more intimate sounding which is the sound I want for this song (and hopefully most of the album) so I definitely don't want to go further in this direction.

I can also try re-recording the booming percussion from the guitar. thanks so much I'm gonna try to revert back to the way I had it before I began messing with it...don't know how I'm gonna get there. I guess just remove the effects and stuff I had applied. and put the volumes back to where they were. I liked also how in my previous mix the vocals were much more on top and seemed much more intimate like you say. I'm gonna try to get back to that. thanks dude
#4December 15th, 2012 · 11:14 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Thanks so much for the honest opinion Denis. I see what COMPLETELY what you mean about the first being warmer and more intimate sounding which is the sound I want for this song (and hopefully most of the album) so I definitely don't want to go further in this direction.

I can also try re-recording the booming percussion from the guitar. thanks so much I'm gonna try to revert back to the way I had it before I began messing with it...don't know how I'm gonna get there. I guess just remove the effects and stuff I had applied. and put the volumes back to where they were. I liked also how in my previous mix the vocals were much more on top and seemed much more intimate like you say. I'm gonna try to get back to that. thanks dude :D
That will teach you, always save your mix in wav and the mix, depending on your DAW, you should be able to Save As, giving each mix a different title.
#5December 16th, 2012 · 12:33 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Dude, great song!
The arrangements are just perfect. I would just suggest that instead of hitting the "bass drum" (I dare to say it's a tapping on the guitar's body?) every quarter note you do it every half note of even every full note (try with both and see which sounds best), then add more power (bass maybe) to it, so you compensate the repetitiveness of the hits with more impact. I'd also and a tambourine doing eighth notes, but very subtly.

The chorus would need a little bit more work in the vocals, but just a little.

Other that that, it's just perfect as it is now. I liked the mix.

Cheers.

> Iz
#6December 16th, 2012 · 12:57 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I realise your just trying to do your best .... but that thumping thumb does not fit .... imho
I think this song would become upbeat and funky even, if you dropped the thump on the double beat and did it on the beat with a double hit every 4 or variations of it ... just my hum op again
#7December 21st, 2012 · 01:40 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
thanks so much guys!
I'm definitely changing the thumping. New re-workings of this coming soon. I also may do some work on the chorus vocals. thanks so much you guys
#8December 24th, 2012 · 03:01 AM
7 threads / 6 songs
20 posts
United States of America
Recorded very well.  Elliott Smith-ish, but your own sound and not a rip off.  I respectfully disagree with the opposition of the thumbing.  All songs should have a thorn in them, and the thumping i think is something that adds to the song and makes it less like a typical acoustic singer song writer song.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 7:22 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.