91 posts
Malaysia
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
So how long have you been playing for?
You have worked at an amazing technique and your doing it well, but the break, that went walkies before now came out right in the flow of the song but you play your chords wrong ... looks like you could practice your basics
Best of luck with R.AGE

btw if you click the youtube button far right of the text box it will print the youtube tags in the text box. Put the video code only in between the tags and your video will show op on the page.     ; )

Thanks, getting the pitch right for slide is bloody difficult. My nails have been grinded by the strings that it looks really bad now. The "palm stomp" technique was from a Japanese guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpLVL7X4gOE

and the triplet strokes were from playing rumba flamenca.

Did you mean that the chord was too dissonant? the one that's just before the pause that's half step below the root? I like that sound though it's probabaly due to the arabic/turkish/Goran Bregovic etc stuff I listen to.

Edit: I've been playing for almost 8 years now. But I've just picked up slide (as you'd have noticed). I can't play anything else... concrete with it haha.

Re YOUTUBE Link -  This guy plays softer allowing to create more dynamics - interesting technique also - So I would in future work on playing softer, or work on dynamics, know how loud or soft you are playing. No pain no gain - keep working at it.  ;)

I know I need to do that but I tried playing softer for some time too but as I was listening to the recording, I felt that the "badass-ness" is very much lost, just like how that japanese guy's song feels more light and even poppy than  heavy - white stripes/ led zeppelinesque, which was what I was going for, kinda like acoustic distortion hahaha

Hmm after playing around with it just now I've found places where I could play more softly and I feel that I'm playing a lot better now that I'm relaxed and not recording haha

:D

Yes tension is a killer when you perform - As you had to get this done quickly, I'm sure that would have created some tension. Another tip before you start your performance is to take a few deep breaths and to feel yourself being relaxed - if you do it every time, it will become second nature over a period of time.  Then of course you need to practise every day, around half an hour day keeps you playing with ease, you'll know what works for you.

Sounds good, I'll try it I never take deep breaths before playing. Yes, I'll keep practising everyday in hopes of reaching the next round where I have to record again. For the past week I've been working on this song up to 5 hours a day, until I keep playing it in my sleep and I had to get up at 1:30am and read something while injecting some Queen into my ears to get it of off my mind haha

Now I feel like I can handle the pitching better after all that work.

Nowadays my problem is getting too excited while playing when I'm showing it to someone or performing haha
#17October 22nd, 2012 · 06:53 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
lift it
sing ??

that would be great ...........

sometimes whacking the guitar needs a little extra to make it real personal

check out leadbelly ... haha

fish .... yep I think this needs a vocal to make it come totally alive

guitar sounds great ..... predatory... killer

please add a voc

#18October 24th, 2012 · 05:47 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
It's always been at the back of my mind but I'm afraid risking it due to my vocal abilities (for the competition's sake)

However, for the sake of the song, and maybe the competition since I get to have another take if I get to the next round I'll keep trying because I do feel the same way, something's missing =(
#19October 25th, 2012 · 12:09 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
hmph I lost it...

Probably the lack of a lead and dynamics?
#20October 31st, 2012 · 11:33 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
First -
Singing. I've been busy so I'm late to this party, but anytime someone can sing they should. Even if it doesn't meet the standards of radio quality. If you've got words that convey meaning then sing them. If it takes away from the focus of the song, the guitar playing in this case, then that is a different argument.
But sounding too Chinese is not a fair assessment. We are what we are and we use what we got. Sing your words in Chinese or Malay or what ever expresses the heart. It's music, it's art.
Second, I think this is a great piece and your dedication shows through. And I liked the part at 1:55. Didn't bother me at all.

I was a bit confused what I was supposed to listen to. I listened to the bandamp posting at the top. I started one of the cloud version but had to stop.

HEY!  Does anyone else think sound cloud sucks?
They change the audio quality away from it's original, and I think they speed up the songs a little to save storage space. I've noticed a difference when posting my MP3 and really noticed with the links above.

So, I stopped listening to the sound cloud versions because I started to freak out about sound quality and I wasn't paying attention.
I liked the song at the top. Would like to have heard w/ vocals.
Don't practice too much and keep up the awesome playing.!

#21November 1st, 2012 · 05:23 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
If it's the technique you're working at, take it easy play and listen, you vocals could come out that way too.
I can imagine the pressure of entering the competition got you rushing it on one side but you also did it. First step at least.

Yes some choppy old real black blues vocal would do this.
You have captured the zeppelinesqueness indeed.
Led Zep themselves owed everything they were to the Blues
#22November 2nd, 2012 · 04:35 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Thanks

Yes, it was really rushed. I plan to do something but I'm putting in on hold for now because I was a bit frustrated with it and I can't come up with ideas. Especially because I already have to focus hard to just play the guitar part.

Actually most natural language to speak or sing in is the local version of broken English, which I don't find suitable for a song like this at all haha, which is why I also need try to pronounce properly.

Anyway, I've been realising that my pitch is terrible to start with and that's the main thing I need to get right before doing anything. That'll take some time.

I plan to jam something with my friend who plays the trumpet after my exams, the problem is that I need to write the melody because he can't improvise but it'll be interesting

Btw Soni my main arrangement atm is the youtube one

Right now I'm really interested in DAWs and I'm really inspired by finding out that hans zimmer composes that way. Moreover Ableton is giving me the freedom from the constraints of one guitar and limited technical ability I've been tied down to for so long.
#23November 2nd, 2012 · 05:12 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
great riff but where's the song/melody?
I don't want to sound harsh but even if you grabbed me for the first 30 seconds after that I'm afraid I lost interest
Technic is important (not that I have any myself) but if it's not serving the song it's sadly a bit pointless
#24November 2nd, 2012 · 10:27 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
No problem. I've been considering it as incomplete work for some time, without the lead.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 12:17 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.