#1October 17th, 2012 · 07:05 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
15 to 5 v2

This song is not in a battle

Edit: Now I consider it incomplete work without the lead

Submitted the final video.

Just noticed that I look quite bored because I've heard this song for 100 times...
____________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Smoothened ending break transition.
hmm I'm still not satisfied with the build up to the ending riff.

http://soundcloud.com/jiexian/15-to-5-alt-end
____________________________________________________________________________________

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 17th, 2012 · 11:41 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
This version is much better than the firstone. Has a solid structure now and less annoying wild noise.
Like the stomping energy here.  John-Lee-Hooker-like.

What you could improve is the end. It seemed to be a bit "disorientated", "unorganised", "incoherent".
When you might give the ending a logical sense, this track is "round".

U.L.I.
#3October 17th, 2012 · 11:56 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
much better!
but as ULI stated, you need a little break(down) then a (double)last riff and out.
#4October 17th, 2012 · 12:42 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Thanks, I showed this to my brother a few hours ago and he mentioned about the ending and the pitch and the transition to the second verse. I uploaded a new one and changed the ending a little and added a connecter before the second verses .

Let me know if it works, thanks again
#5October 17th, 2012 · 01:23 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
It is rough it is raw it is tight it is right .... except for that break at 1:55 it kind of goes a walkies ... when it was so thumping and stomping
Good stuff though, like a led zep jam in the bar on Sunday
Pity your not confident enough to sing and vocally stomp along
#6October 17th, 2012 · 01:51 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
what do you mean by "goes a walkies" Messy? Maybe I should just keep the same rhythm as I change the chords and break.

Man I'd really love to sing too but I'm not good enough.

A sample (sang off tempo during the first verse) http://soundcloud.com/jiexian/15-to-5-j-sing-overdub
#7October 17th, 2012 · 09:12 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Smoothened ending break transition. Let me know what you think.

I'm still considering cleaning up the build up to the ending riff.

thanks
#8October 19th, 2012 · 03:56 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
It's finally done, just before the dateline.

http://youtu.be/1Zu3AU9cVfg

Just noticed that I look quite bored because I've heard this song for 100 times... the recording on my phone had  a flash of loud noise out of nowhere so I couldn't use it.
#9October 19th, 2012 · 11:42 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
So how long have you been playing for?
You have worked at an amazing technique and your doing it well, but the break, that went walkies before now came out right in the flow of the song but you play your chords wrong ... looks like you could practice your basics
Best of luck with R.AGE

btw if you click the youtube button far right of the text box it will print the youtube tags in the text box. Put the video code only in between the tags and your video will show op on the page.     ; )
#10October 19th, 2012 · 12:09 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
kings wrote…
You have worked at an amazing technique and your doing it well, but the break, that went walkies before now came out right in the flow of the song but you play your chords wrong ... looks like you could practice your basics
Best of luck with R.AGE

btw if you click the youtube button far right of the text box it will print the youtube tags in the text box. Put the video code only in between the tags and your video will show op on the page.     ; )

Thanks, getting the pitch right for slide is bloody difficult. My nails have been grinded by the strings that it looks really bad now. The "palm kick" technique was from a Japanese guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpLVL7X4gOE

and the triplet strokes were from playing rumba flamenca.

Did you mean that the chord was too dissonant? the one that's just before the pause that's half step below the root? I like that sound though it's probabaly due to the arabic/turkish/Goran Bregovic etc stuff I listen to.

Edit: I've been playing for almost 8 years now. But I've just picked up slide (as you'd have noticed). I can't play anything else... concrete with it haha.
#11October 20th, 2012 · 11:47 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
Best of luck with R.AGE

Thanks, getting the pitch right for slide is bloody difficult. My nails have been grinded by the strings that it looks really bad now. The "palm stomp" technique was from a Japanese guy

Did you mean that the chord was too dissonant? the one that's just before the pause that's half step below the root? I like that sound though it's probabaly due to the arabic/turkish/Goran Bregovic etc stuff I listen to.

Edit: I've been playing for almost 8 years now. But I've just picked up slide (as you'd have noticed). I can't play anything else... concrete with it haha.

Re YOUTUBE Link -  This guy plays softer allowing to create more dynamics - interesting techique also - So I would in future work on playing softer, or work on dynamics, know how loud or soft you are playing. No pain no gain - keep working at it. 
#12October 20th, 2012 · 04:29 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: 15 to 5 v2
JieXian wrote…
Edit,: Submitted the final video:

Just noticed that I look quite bored because I've heard this song for 100 times...

Edit: Smoothened ending break transition.
hmm I'm still not satisfied with the build up to the ending riff.

http://soundcloud.com/jiexian/15-to-5-alt-end

Edit: Changed the ending and added a connecter before the second verse

http://soundcloud.com/jiexian/15-to-5-18-10

I was trying to fix the pitching too but now it feels a little fast and not clean and I'm still not satisfied with it after almost 3 hours of trying... this is really hard haha. I'm quite stressed because I want to win it so badly but I have some tests on friday too and the dateline is so close aaaaahhhhh

Rearranged the song to a more solid structure and focused on the slide pitching and dynamics.

I scrapped the vocals because my pronunciation was too Chinese along with other tone problems according to a friend.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks
#13October 21st, 2012 · 02:33 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
Best of luck with R.AGE

Thanks, getting the pitch right for slide is bloody difficult. My nails have been grinded by the strings that it looks really bad now. The "palm stomp" technique was from a Japanese guy

Re YOUTUBE Link -  This guy plays softer allowing to create more dynamics - interesting techique also - So I would in future work on playing softer, or work on dynamics, know how loud or soft you are playing. No pain no gain - keep working at it.  ;)

I know I need to do that but I tried playing softer for some time too but as I was listneing to the recording, I felt that the "badass-ness" is very much lost, just like how that japanese guy's song feels more light and even poppy than  heavy - white stripes/ led zeppelinesque, which was what I was going for, kinda like acoustic distortion hahaha

Hmm after playing around with it just now I've found places where I could play more softly and I feel that I'm playing a lot better now that I'm relaxed and not recording haha

#14October 21st, 2012 · 03:06 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
91 posts
Malaysia
kings wrote…
Best of luck with R.AGE

oh ya and to add on to the technique I learnt the palm kick from that japanese guy but really started applying it when I was trying to play the main riff alone (I heard orion from them, didn't listen to metallica)

it's all about being alone and not knowing the existence of DAWs back then haha
#15October 21st, 2012 · 04:38 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JieXian wrote…
Denis wrote…
JieXian wrote…
kings wrote…
Best of luck with R.AGE

Re YOUTUBE Link -  This guy plays softer allowing to create more dynamics - interesting technique also - So I would in future work on playing softer, or work on dynamics, know how loud or soft you are playing. No pain no gain - keep working at it.  ;)

I know I need to do that but I tried playing softer for some time too but as I was listening to the recording, I felt that the "badass-ness" is very much lost, just like how that japanese guy's song feels more light and even poppy than  heavy - white stripes/ led zeppelinesque, which was what I was going for, kinda like acoustic distortion hahaha

Hmm after playing around with it just now I've found places where I could play more softly and I feel that I'm playing a lot better now that I'm relaxed and not recording haha

:D

Yes tension is a killer when you perform - As you had to get this done quickly, I'm sure that would have created some tension. Another tip before you start your performance is to take a few deep breaths and to feel yourself being relaxed - if you do it every time, it will become second nature over a period of time.  Then of course you need to practise every day, around half an hour day keeps you playing with ease, you'll know what works for you.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 1:19 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.