1 2

#1August 1st, 2012 · 11:08 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
whole lotta remix cover

This song is not in a battle

what the heck, another hilarious production in progress, and again only for having fun,
well, the vox are a bit painfull, I never thought of singing this but i just did, a sort of,
its hard to get the notes, the original is is in between A and A# and I think its pitched up somehow..,
I just like the effect of the doubled vox where one is corrected and the other isn't, bit of an Ozzy sound, but maybe it is way too bad?
The drums needs work, just didnt have the guts for it yet, so its simple
I made it a bit faster than the original, I like that

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 1st, 2012 · 04:42 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Sounds like fun to me 
The vox at the intro sound great, but you seemed to hold back after that - just let it rip max, screem, whatever, go wild, crazy 
The rhythm guitar is nice, full sound and driving the rhythm.
Maybe find a drum kit a bit more dirty.
If you could find a nice dirty sounding bass line sound, it would complement the track too.

It put a smile on my face for sure - 42, 39, 56 yeah...
#3August 1st, 2012 · 06:17 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Damn this is great!  I feel like such a bad ass right now.  I need to get a motorcycle

Guitar is great and the vocals are solid!  I really liked it, great quality and production!  What kind of mic and guitar setup are you using?
#4August 1st, 2012 · 08:20 PM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
My son second name is Angus so I can only enjoy this!
#5August 2nd, 2012 · 02:38 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
tnx for listening guys,
I might try to do the vox again with more power, just as Denis suggested, hope i find the energy for it, hope my vocal chords survive :p

Apple: I used an old Soundlab UD222 mic, the cheapest and oldest mic I have.
The guitars i recorded by USB via the Fender Mustang 1 amp, it needed slight eq to get the digital buzz out.
there's a layer of 3 guitars, all done on the strat, need to work on solo, but I ain't no Angus by far
#6August 2nd, 2012 · 04:01 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
tnx for listening guys,
I might try to do the vox again with more power, just as Denis suggested, hope i find the energy for it, hope my vocal chords survive :p

The guitars i recorded by USB via the Fender Mustang 1 amp, it needed slight eq to get the digital buzz out.
there's a layer of 3 guitars, all done on the strat, need to work on solo, but I ain't no Angus by far :)
Don't over do it max. You may wanna check out some you tube tutorials on how to sing high notes. I'll try to explain here. When you are trying to sing notes at the top of your range, mentally push down, including your vocal passage. It is in our natural behaviour to push everything up when trying to hit the high notes, which only creates tension and strain, so be carefull Max.  The good thing is you will not only be able to get the notes easier, you will be able to control the volume
#7August 2nd, 2012 · 04:47 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yes, vocal could be stronger, solo needs work and drum needs developing but you've got an excellent sound going on.
Vocal effect is great and guitar sound is superb ... real raw rock and roll

My favourite band as a teenager .... rock on Bon !
#8August 2nd, 2012 · 08:12 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Just redid vox (with AKG D112 mic),  and another (attempt to) solo,
well, maybe not better overall, but lots more energy now, I had to sit down after singing this one :p
A bit too much growl though, and maybe too low now, sort of a Motorhead version?
I am afraid I'll have to disturb the neighbours again .
Solo is ehm, experimental, (or just mental) :p
I just found out I copied the wrong slice to expand the solo part, so the rhythm gtr is at the wrong starting point, actually I think I kinda like it, not sure yet...
http://soundcloud.com/maxdb/wholelottasmokey-4
#9August 3rd, 2012 · 01:03 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Man this sounds great...I do like the soundcloud version a bit better but still this one is also great!
#10August 5th, 2012 · 09:56 AM
12 threads / 10 songs
65 posts
Germany
Denis wrote…
MaxdB wrote…
tnx for listening guys,

there's a layer of 3 guitars, all done on the strat, need to work on solo, but I ain't no Angus by far :)
Don't over do it max. You may wanna check out some you tube tutorials on how to sing high notes. I'll try to explain here. When you are trying to sing notes at the top of your range, mentally push down, including your vocal passage. It is in our natural behaviour to push everything up when trying to hit the high notes, which only creates tension and strain, so be carefull Max.  The good thing is you will not only be able to get the notes easier, you will be able to control the volume

GREAT ADVICE -- YES!  I actually physically LOOK down at the floor when reaching for the high ones. It really does help.
#11August 5th, 2012 · 06:02 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Denis wrote…
Don't over do it max. You may wanna check out some you tube tutorials on how to sing high notes. I'll try to explain here. When you are trying to sing notes at the top of your range, mentally push down, including your vocal passage. It is in our natural behaviour to push everything up when trying to hit the high notes, which only creates tension and strain, so be careful Max.  The good thing is you will not only be able to get the notes easier, you will be able to control the volume

Yes, I remember my beautiful singing teacher in her summerdress telling me that too in one of the 10 lessons I took 20 years ago (with my friend and my bands singer at that time), but very nice too point that out once again, cause I bet nobody expected I ever took singing lessons :p
Also the belly pressure is a thing to watch for which I find very hard to stay aware of.

ánd I am thinking of getting my last few tracks as a stereo backingtrack on my portable recorder, get my best mic, and rent a rehearsal room here close by, to really get to sing freely, without neighbours.
#12August 29th, 2012 · 08:46 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
The sound cloud version is tighter, and with a drum machine you have to be really tight and on the mark. There's some trouble with the double voice in keeping it tight, and where the three guitars (or is that panning) go back and forth - almost deciding who's gonna take the lead (which is awesome!), it is tighter in that version. Some great moments in the lead on that version but It looses focus near the end.

Fantastic song. I really, really like the high pitched backup "whole lotta woman" at the end of the sound cloud version and think you could do more of those throughout. But it makes a great ending to an already fun song.

I dig your drum machine usage. If you could get a live drummer - which would just tear this song up (in a good way), it would free up some of the more natural feel of the multiple guitars and vox, but at the same time, if you could find anyone good enough to do it - they might want to embellish, and this song needs a drummer willing to sit back and keep that fast beat - just the way you programmed it into your machine.

It would also be great to hear a version with just one vox instead of two. My voice isn't Ozzy's either, tho' I wish it was sometimes, but we have to work with what we got and sometimes we can make it better by doing something unique. The trick is to figure out how to make it our own, especially when we venture into styles that typically require a type of voice of a specific quality. Did that come off as preachy? Sorry.

Just saying - use what you got in your own way- and it'll probably sound stronger.

There is some real gravel and growl in your voice that bring out a natural and more realistic air. I would like to hear more of that, in a single voice over.

This post is too long already. Thanks for sharing this. I'm still smiling about it.
 Whole lotta of Rosie.

Love that!
#13August 29th, 2012 · 08:52 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Soni wrote…
The sound cloud version is tighter, and with a drum machine you have to be really tight and on the mark. There's some trouble with the double voice in keeping it tight, and where the three guitars (or is that panning) go back and forth - almost deciding who's gonna take the lead (which is awesome!), it is tighter in that version. Some great moments in the lead on that version but It looses focus near the end.

Fantastic song. I really, really like the high pitched backup "whole lotta woman" at the end of the sound cloud version and think you could do more of those throughout. But it makes a great ending to an already fun song.

I dig your drum machine usage. If you could get a live drummer - which would just tear this song up (in a good way), it would free up some of the more natural feel of the multiple guitars and vox, but at the same time, if you could find anyone good enough to do it - they might want to embellish, and this song needs a drummer willing to sit back and keep that fast beat - just the way you programmed it into your machine.

It would also be great to hear a version with just one vox instead of two. My voice isn't Ozzy's either, tho' I wish it was sometimes, but we have to work with what we got and sometimes we can make it better by doing something unique. The trick is to figure out how to make it our own, especially when we venture into styles that typically require a type of voice of a specific quality. Did that come off as preachy? Sorry.

Just saying - use what you got in your own way- and it'll probably sound stronger.

There is some real gravel and growl in your voice that bring out a natural and more realistic air. I would like to hear more of that, in a single voice over.

This post is too long already. Thanks for sharing this. I'm still smiling about it.
 Whole lotta of Rosie.

Love that!

tnx a lot for this decent comment Soni, I really appreciate it.
Actually the vox is one take, i just copied it and used the Haas effect, and i pitch corrected just one of them.
I will be searching for my own way more, but I really need to do it someplace else then my home.
#14August 30th, 2012 · 10:36 AM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
I had to look up what the Haas effect was. That is some cool stuff. Thanks.
#15August 30th, 2012 · 10:27 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
MaxdB wrote…
tnx for listening guys,

+10000   If your adams apple rises any at all, when you hit louder or higher notes, you are singing incorrectly.
like stated  think of yourself being above all the notes before you.  You selectively reach down and grab the notes you are going to need (kind of a mental picture of staying above the notes).. You do not want to think  that note is really high, going to be a bitch to reach that...you'll tighten up and fall flat. 

That said, everyone is different, if you sing you should practice, and realize where you range is (everyone has their lowest note, and highest note) these ranges can be extended with proper vocal techniques and lots of practice.

Great song, you did a very good job on a simple but hard song to do.  You might try backing the copied vocal tracks down in the mix the phasing won't be quite as strong, but the vocals will still be fattened up.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 6:51 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.