1 2
#16August 5th, 2012 · 05:35 PM
re: Great job
TomFool wrote…
Performance and production are great. I think I agree with Marino in that the vocals could be more present. The wide reverb causes them to seem etheral which is probably desired, but also distant which might not be. Just a tad more compression to set them out from the rest of the song.

It's not my genre, but you guys sound great, especially when you consider it's the result of a long range collaborative effort.

I can only speak for myself,  but I think we would like to hear Emie do a nice simple ballad? Perhaps with just a clean grand piano?

Keep it up!

I like the idea of the ballad with piano! Harry is great on piano so we may give that a try!
#17August 5th, 2012 · 11:18 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
I am? 
#18August 6th, 2012 · 08:50 PM
Yesssss! You've proven that with Door maker!
#19August 7th, 2012 · 02:13 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Hi Emie,
a belated welcome also from my side. Great having you on board. Hope to hearing much more stuff from you both .
#20August 14th, 2012 · 06:40 AM
7 threads / 7 songs
23 posts
Germany
What a brilliant composition! That shy little voice perfectly fits the theme...amazing!
#21August 18th, 2012 · 06:21 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: See You In The Sea
UndercoverApple wrote…
Here's another song from the upcoming EP Across the Ocean.  I really enjoy writing about weather and nature and this song is no different.   The story entails two droplets of water in a rain cloud who are in a terrible storm.  They know they'll be separated, but they hope to be reunited in the sea.  I wrote this in 2009 and did an acoustic and full electronic recording.  When I met Emie, she fell in love with the song and idea that we recorded the song from scratch again with her singing and it came out well.  Once again, we're just bedroom musicians Skyping/Emailing 2-3 times a week to write music together Cheers 

[Lyrics]

"See you in the Sea"

This rain cloud
Holds a billion droplets
Screaming for the ocean again

They time their escape
With a little bit of faith
That their fate lies beyond the sand

When I jump can I hold your hands?
Can we stick together just like we planned?

When I fall, will you fall with me?
Hang on tight... I'll see you in the sea

The storm came
It blew us far away
You went East and I headed West

I know I'm just a droplet
But I'll ride through hurricanes
I'll be brave, but can I ask

Hang on tight... I'll see you in the

Sea... 
You're the wave and I'm the tide
Beneath...
All the stars and the moonlight
Believe...
You and I will be alright

But before we take this dive

nice one .........

but aimless/pointless .....no edge at all as a song
...nice kind of 'pad'....'advert' ....music

fish
#22October 11th, 2012 · 06:11 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: See You In The Sea
UndercoverApple wrote…
Here's another song from the upcoming EP Across the Ocean.  I really enjoy writing about weather and nature and this song is no different.   The story entails two droplets of water in a rain cloud who are in a terrible storm.  They know they'll be separated, but they hope to be reunited in the sea.  I wrote this in 2009 and did an acoustic and full electronic recording.  When I met Emie, she fell in love with the song and idea that we recorded the song from scratch again with her singing and it came out well.  Once again, we're just bedroom musicians Skyping/Emailing 2-3 times a week to write music together Cheers 

[Lyrics]

"See you in the Sea"

This rain cloud
Holds a billion droplets
Screaming for the ocean again

They time their escape
With a little bit of faith
That their fate lies beyond the sand

The storm came
It blew us far away
You went East and I headed West

I know I'm just a droplet
But I'll ride through hurricanes
I'll be brave, but can I ask

Hang on tight... I'll see you in the

Sea... 
You're the wave and I'm the tide
Beneath...
All the stars and the moonlight
Believe...
You and I will be alright

But before we take this dive

another great track .......

I'm really interested

how/where are u recording this product??
who is mastering these productions???
there is so much going on in production (tricks)
who is doing that???
how is fem voc recorded? on what?
how do you you get skype communication to work so well??
protools???
how do you get recording environment so balanced???
have u got your own studio ??? with shedloads of time and equipment to do this
or is this sponsored?

this track is brilliant by the way

and/but so full of super production effects .........it sounds pro

not a criticism more of an obsevation

say no more

fish
#23October 11th, 2012 · 09:16 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Hi again Fish!

I'm going to answer your questions in order (along with pricing):

Where and how am I recording this:
I'm doing all musical recording in my bedroom.  It's the size of a shoe box and my parents are ALWAYS annoyed of the noise lol!  Both Emie and I do our vocal recordings in our bedroom.  No fancy sound booths, no acoustic foam, just blankets and pillows to dampen the sound from out computers.

My DAW is ReNoise 2.8 ($80) which I've been using for about 6 years now.  All the music is recorded and mixed on my end here in California.

Who is mastering the production?
I do my best to mix, pan, and compress the tracks (as you can hear in most of my work here).  The only 3 tracks that have been mastered are on the EP.  It was mastered by Mike Wells in the Megatrax studio in LA ($130 per track).  It was only a stereo master since I could not afford to get stem mastering.  Hopefully I can save up enough for that next time.  I've learned a lot since the last EP so maybe I won't even master the next release because quite simply I can't afford it.

There is so much going on in production (tricks):
There's so many techniques and ideas that I'm using in a lot of my more recent music.  Without going into detail here, I can say that the best thing you can do is find a good compressor (I'm using FET software) and mess around with it until you find a sound you like.  Panning goes a long way too.  Personally, the only instruments I leave in the middle are the vocals, kick/snare, and bass synth.  Every other instruments is panned (from a value of 1-27) ever so slightly to create the space I like (for instrance: Piano L6, Strings R6, Square Lead R10, Closed Hi Hat L11, etc).

Who is doing that?
Me for the most part I've been working with music for about 11 years now (piano/guitar) informally.  Emie has about 8 years (guitar/piano/singing) under her belt as well (performing live too!).

How is female vocals recorded? On what?
Emie sings on a standard condeser mic (I think it was under 200 pounds) with a USB interface going to protools.  She compresses her vocals once on her end and when I mix it, I condense it again on my end.
For my guitar/vocal recordings, I use a PG42 condenser ($200) with a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 pre-amp ($250).

How do you get skype communication to work so well?
Lot's of shits-and-giggles!  Most of the time when we Skype, it's not even about music.  I do a lot of the song writing before I go to bed each night and write down ideas in a little journal or on my computer/phone.  If I like an idea, I'll share it with Emie on skype and play it for her on the guitar and sing.  If she likes it, we decide to flesh the song out.  We have a great dynamic because I do a lot of the writing, but Emie does most of the singing.  When I bounce an idea off her, she automatically adjusts it according to her talents and it's been working great for us.

Protools?
I've never used it before, but Emie seems to really enjoy using it (though she complains about it taking a long time to load on her laptop lol).

How do you get the recording environment so balanced?
I'm not formally trained in audio, but I just really work off my gut feeling.  I can't tell you how a compressor works, or which band to adjust your snare on, but I just twist the knobs until it sounds like the songs I enjoy the most.  For instance, I'll listen to Owl City's drum work and try to mimic it sonically by adjust the EQ and compression.  For the mix itself, I just spend a lot of time listening to it over and over and over again until I like it.  Once again, we're just doing this from out bedrooms and the mastering session with Mike Wells did not adjust any panning, individual compression, or FXs (it was a stereo master).

Do I have my own studio with lots of time and equipment or am I sponsored?
My bedroom is the studio haha!  I am a full-time student (studying accounting) and I work part-time as a freelance musician writing music for podcasts, video games, student films, youtube shows, etc.  I charge $25-$35 per minute of music just to get some spending money and put gas in my car.  Mostly licensing the work, but selling the rights to those interested helps me get a bit more.  As far as sponsors go, I do have a friend named Ian who paid for the mastering.  He's our business partner.  He doesn't buy us gear or anything lol.

If you ever want to chit chat about tips and tricks, I'd love to!  Hit me up on Skype: UndercoverAppleHarry ~ Cheers! ~
#24October 12th, 2012 · 02:50 AM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
UndercoverApple wrote…
Hi again Fish!

I'm going to answer your questions in order (along with pricing):

Where and how am I recording this:
I'm doing all musical recording in my bedroom.  It's the size of a shoe box and my parents are ALWAYS annoyed of the noise lol!  Both Emie and I do our vocal recordings in our bedroom.  No fancy sound booths, no acoustic foam, just blankets and pillows to dampen the sound from out computers.

My DAW is ReNoise 2.8 ($80) which I've been using for about 6 years now.  All the music is recorded and mixed on my end here in California.

Who is mastering the production?
I do my best to mix, pan, and compress the tracks (as you can hear in most of my work here).  The only 3 tracks that have been mastered are on the EP.  It was mastered by Mike Wells in the Megatrax studio in LA ($130 per track).  It was only a stereo master since I could not afford to get stem mastering.  Hopefully I can save up enough for that next time.  I've learned a lot since the last EP so maybe I won't even master the next release because quite simply I can't afford it.

There is so much going on in production (tricks):
There's so many techniques and ideas that I'm using in a lot of my more recent music.  Without going into detail here, I can say that the best thing you can do is find a good compressor (I'm using FET software) and mess around with it until you find a sound you like.  Panning goes a long way too.  Personally, the only instruments I leave in the middle are the vocals, kick/snare, and bass synth.  Every other instruments is panned (from a value of 1-27) ever so slightly to create the space I like (for instrance: Piano L6, Strings R6, Square Lead R10, Closed Hi Hat L11, etc).

Who is doing that?
Me for the most part I've been working with music for about 11 years now (piano/guitar) informally.  Emie has about 8 years (guitar/piano/singing) under her belt as well (performing live too!).

How is female vocals recorded? On what?
Emie sings on a standard condeser mic (I think it was under 200 pounds) with a USB interface going to protools.  She compresses her vocals once on her end and when I mix it, I condense it again on my end.
For my guitar/vocal recordings, I use a PG42 condenser ($200) with a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 pre-amp ($250).

How do you get skype communication to work so well?
Lot's of shits-and-giggles!  Most of the time when we Skype, it's not even about music.  I do a lot of the song writing before I go to bed each night and write down ideas in a little journal or on my computer/phone.  If I like an idea, I'll share it with Emie on skype and play it for her on the guitar and sing.  If she likes it, we decide to flesh the song out.  We have a great dynamic because I do a lot of the writing, but Emie does most of the singing.  When I bounce an idea off her, she automatically adjusts it according to her talents and it's been working great for us.

Protools?
I've never used it before, but Emie seems to really enjoy using it (though she complains about it taking a long time to load on her laptop lol).

How do you get the recording environment so balanced?o
I'm not formally trained in audio, but I just really work off my gut feeling.  I can't tell you how a compressor works, or which band to adjust your snare on, but I just twist the knobs until it sounds like the songs I enjoy the most.  For instance, I'll listen to Owl City's drum work and try to mimic it sonically by adjust the EQ and compression.  For the mix itself, I just spend a lot of time listening to it over and over and over again until I like it.  Once again, we're just doing this from out bedrooms and the mastering session with Mike Wells did not adjust any panning, individual compression, or FXs (it was a stereo master).

Do I have my own studio with lots of time and equipment or am I sponsored?
My bedroom is the studio haha!  I am a full-time student (studying accounting) and I work part-time as a freelance musician writing music for podcasts, video games, student films, youtube shows, etc.  I charge $25-$35 per minute of music just to get some spending money and put gas in my car.  Mostly licensing the work, but selling the rights to those interested helps me get a bit more.  As far as sponsors go, I do have a friend named Ian who paid for the mastering.  He's our business partner.  He doesn't buy us gear or anything lol.

If you ever want to chit chat about tips and tricks, I'd love to!  Hit me up on Skype: UndercoverAppleHarry ~ Cheers! ~

Wow now that's a great answer!!!! Fascinating stuff!!! Thanks for such detail ..... Will post a bit more when I get a bit of time...... Off 2 work
#25October 13th, 2012 · 03:44 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
RENOISE
Hi Mr   Undercover apple

Just been looking at this DAW ....

here is an address for intro video

http://www.renoise.com/introduction

wow its a scottish bloke introducing !!!

nice for feedback from other ampers on this daw ...

must say its not expensive

fascinated

could be a great into daw for other amp users .... is there a free download?

DO YOU FIND IT REALLY EASY TO USE???

intruiged fish
#26October 15th, 2012 · 11:07 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
There's a Demo I think on the main website

Other than that, it'll take some time getting used to using if you've never used a tracker before and are used to piano roll type sequences.  I REALLY REALLY enjoy using it.  Plus, it makes me feel extra geeky haha!
#27October 16th, 2012 · 03:13 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Excellent post ....
There's a thread floating around somewhere on the Amp about members DAW set up ... pictures and all, cant find it now ... will look.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 4:56 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.