1 2 3

#16December 29th, 2011 · 03:03 PM
5 threads / 1 songs
21 posts
Canada
re: recorderman

Thank! We will definitely try this, we were wondering how to do it best.
#17December 29th, 2011 · 10:06 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Wow..Tons of potential here..Great great vocalist...You guys have a good thing going..My thing if anything would be to work on some dynamics from what sounds like a verse to what is a chorus and prolly more bass level cause its not there at all...
#18December 29th, 2011 · 11:09 PM
5 threads / 1 songs
21 posts
Canada
Marino wrote…
Wow..Tons of potential here..Great great vocalist...You guys have a good thing going.. and prolly more bass level cause its not there at all...

Thank you ver much! Actually we came back in today and recorded everything track by track with 2 mics on the acoustic, 3 mics on drums, one electric-guitar track and a bass. Currently mixing it The bass was brought up.

Marino wrote…
My thing if anything would be to work on some dynamics from what sounds like a verse to what is a chorus

That is a problem with this song, is that there is really no difference between the chorus and the verse and we don’t really know how to make it more pronounced… I guess that’s a matter of arrangement really, and we don’t know what to do. Maybe do something with the singer? All input is welcome
#19December 30th, 2011 · 09:21 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
You guys are on to something really good.
Keep it up .... look for it where ever you can.

The one good thing you have going for you is your amazing vocalist. That is one groovy girlie doing her thing and doing it good

Like M says get into the dynamics of the music, doing the covers will show you the way, from there you can find your own.
#20December 30th, 2011 · 11:20 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Wow guys, you've generated 19 (20 posts with me) within three days. That's phenominal. I mean really, you have to kill someone to get that kind of commotion around here so bravo. and I can see why. You guys have SO much potential and you sound so awesome together. Sure there's lots of adjustments and tips and tricks you can do when recording like everyone has already mentioned, and I see you've already started re-recording/mixing already so bravo for that s well. I can't wait to hear what else you guys have to bring and what original stuff you can come up with. Excellent work, I look forward to hearing more very much!
#21December 30th, 2011 · 01:46 PM
5 threads / 1 songs
21 posts
Canada
kings wrote…
You guys are on to something really good.
Keep it up .... look for it where ever you can.

The one good thing you have going for you is your amazing vocalist. That is one groovy girlie doing her thing and doing it good

Like M says get into the dynamics of the music, doing the covers will show you the way, from there you can find your own.

Thank you, we’re currently experimenting with a kind of jazzy-indie that we feel is quite good. As for dynamics I’m reading absolutely everything I can on how to achieve that right from our actual playing to the recording process and finally the mixing.

@TheKunadian Thank you very much, we were very nervous about how we would be received and since joining this forum we have reapplied ourselves 150% into our music thanks to the support. The commotion will inevitably slow down with school starting but we’ll continue to do our best.
#22December 30th, 2011 · 02:25 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Alex don't worry so much about the conceptual aspect of music dynamics.Basically think of one color(sound) say red(music)..Ok now imagine it real thick and heavy...on the other hand imagine it real light and thin...The same applies to songs.... Its really in my book what makes a band sound garage like or like seasoned pros..
#23January 1st, 2012 · 10:28 AM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Wow! Like everyone has mentioned, GREAT VOCALIST! Drums, even though not recorded in the best way, still sounded better than most of my old band's past recordings! Nice work!

From experience, you're already one step ahead of most young bands... Your tuning sounds great!

Reverb on the vocals definitely improves it. If you do plan on recording two tracks, I would recommend harmonizing (because in my opinion, double-tracks on the same note can turn out really great, but it could also be a disaster - of course, with a vocalist like this there's some buffering space so experiment nonetheless). If any member(s) of your band is a/are music nerd(s), the chorus can be sung a third up or otherwise harmonized easily (I think)! Your song is in the key of E, so during the chorus (second track), would go with the following notes:

C# B  B    B   B    A    G#   B      B    B
All the oth-er kids with the pumped up kicks,

A    A  G# B    B  G# B    B    B  C# B  B
You bet-ter run, bet-ter run, out-run my gu-un.

(same thing goes for other two lines)
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet

OR (I don't know how much of a change this is but it works... in theory):

B  A    A G#  G# F#   E     G#    G# G#
All the oth-er   kids with the pumped up kicks,

E  F#  E  G# G# E  G# G# G#  A G# E

etc.

I haven't listened to the original, so maybe that's what they do in the actual song! Most pop songs these days are quite simple to harmonize to just because they usually have the same chords over and over again! Just a suggestion. I haven't had much experience with recording myself, and I have even less experience with vocalists.

The other guys here have much more experience with production/mixing... Their advice really helps!

More of this please!

-XF
#24January 1st, 2012 · 01:56 PM
5 threads / 1 songs
21 posts
Canada
Marino wrote…
Alex don't worry so much about the conceptual aspect of music dynamics.Basically think of one color(sound) say red(music)..Ok now imagine it real thick and heavy...on the other hand imagine it real light and thin...The same applies to songs.... Its really in my book what makes a band sound garage like or like seasoned pros..

I'm kind of a calculus/science nerd so I always try to conceptually "figure things out" but, of course, that simply isn't the way music works. I'll try to listen for the colour-tonalities

XFactor wrote…
Wow! Like everyone has mentioned, GREAT VOCALIST! Drums, even though not recorded in the best way, still sounded better than most of my old band's past recordings! Nice work!

From experience, you're already one step ahead of most young bands... Your tuning sounds great!

Thank you very much, I'll make sure to pass that on to our singer!

And wow, perfect pitch much? Thanks for taking the time to write out the notes to sing. I'll try playing that out on a piano and see how it goes, I'll show our singer too. And I guess we're all music nerds, though our singer is the only 'professionally' trained nerd since she's played piano and violin her whole life with all the associated theory. Guitarist and I are largely self taught.

We need all kinds of feedback; both musical and production/mixing based, so thank you very much
#25January 1st, 2012 · 02:23 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
XFactor wrote…

Reverb on the vocals definitely improves it. If you do plan on recording two tracks, I would recommend harmonizing (because in my opinion, double-tracks on the same note can turn out really great, but it could also be a disaster - of course, with a vocalist like this there's some buffering space so experiment nonetheless). If any member(s) of your band is a/are music nerd(s), the chorus can be sung a third up or otherwise harmonized easily (I think)! Your song is in the key of E, so during the chorus (second track), would go with the following notes:

C# B  B    B   B    A    G#   B      B    B
All the oth-er kids with the pumped up kicks,

A    A  G# B    B  G# B    B    B  C# B  B

(same thing goes for other two lines)
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet

OR (I don't know how much of a change this is but it works... in theory):

B  A    A G#  G# F#   E     G#    G# G#
All the oth-er   kids with the pumped up kicks,

E  F#  E  G# G# E  G# G# G#  A G# E

etc.

I haven't listened to the original, so maybe that's what they do in the actual song! Most pop songs these days are quite simple to harmonize to just because they usually have the same chords over and over again! Just a suggestion. I haven't had much experience with recording myself, and I have even less experience with vocalists.

The other guys here have much more experience with production/mixing... Their advice really helps!

More of this please!

-XF
Wow! Impressive work, Xfactor!!! Nice of you to help out like this - however, you said the song is in the key of "E" - Alex's version is in F# by my calculations (the original appears to be in F...I saw a chord chart online that was in E.  If I'm not mistaken, Alex's version goes: F#m-A-E-B.

The singer's line goes like this:

G# F#    F# -E    E       C# - B        E  -   E -  E     C#-B      E      E-F#    E     F#-F#    G#     F#
All   the    o-ther  kids    with their  pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter    run   bet-ter  run,   out-run    my     gun

G# F#    F# -E    E      C# - B        E  -   E -  E       C#-B     E      E-F#    E     F#-F#-F#  G#   F#-E
All   the   o-ther   kids   with their   pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter    run    bet-ter  run,  fast-er  than my   bul-let

The harmony might go like this:(sung at a higher register than the lead)

B   A    A-G#    G#   E    Eflat       G# - G# - G#    F#-E   G#  G#-A   G#     A-A       B     A   
All  the  o-ther     kids with  their      pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter  run  bet-ter  run,   out-run   my   gun

B   A    A-G#    G#  E     Eflat   G# - G# - G#    F#-E   G#   G#-A  G#      A-A-A       B    A-G#
All  the  o-ther    kids with  their   pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter  run  bet-ter  run,   fast-er-than  my  bul-let
#26January 2nd, 2012 · 01:49 AM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
battlecat wrote…
Wow! Impressive work, Xfactor!!! Nice of you to help out like this - however, you said the song is in the key of "E" - Alex's version is in F# by my calculations (the original appears to be in F...I saw a chord chart online that was in E.  If I'm not mistaken, Alex's version goes: F#m-A-E-B.

The singer's line goes like this:

G# F#    F# -E    E       C# - B        E  -   E -  E     C#-B      E      E-F#    E     F#-F#    G#     F#
All   the    o-ther  kids    with their  pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter    run   bet-ter  run,   out-run    my     gun

G# F#    F# -E    E      C# - B        E  -   E -  E       C#-B     E      E-F#    E     F#-F#-F#  G#   F#-E
All   the   o-ther   kids   with their   pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter    run    bet-ter  run,  fast-er  than my   bul-let

The harmony might go like this:(sung at a higher register than the lead)

B   A    A-G#    G#   E    Eflat       G# - G# - G#    F#-E   G#  G#-A   G#     A-A       B     A   
All  the  o-ther     kids with  their      pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter  run  bet-ter  run,   out-run   my   gun

B   A    A-G#    G#  E     Eflat   G# - G# - G#    F#-E   G#   G#-A  G#      A-A-A       B    A-G#
All  the  o-ther    kids with  their   pumped-up-kicks  bet-ter  run  bet-ter  run,   fast-er-than  my  bul-let

Yup I think the key is actually F#! Chord progression sounds right too - good call Battlecat!!

Sorry for the confusion earlier, I haven't written or arranged music in weeks!

I listened to the original and watched an awesome dubstep video of this... Remixes like this song and the dubstep one are awesome!

-XF
#27January 5th, 2012 · 08:54 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
2 posts
United States of America
nice cover, I enjoyed the track!
#28March 18th, 2012 · 03:07 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Is there more to come?

Happy Birthday!
#29March 18th, 2012 · 04:14 PM
5 threads / 1 songs
21 posts
Canada
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Is there more to come?

Happy Birthday!

Thank you! There is more to come, but our singer has had a long streak of sicknesses that have stopped her from singing… a lot of the band is busy with other stuff since this is the last 3 months of high school, but I'm always trying to write new material and we have about 5 songs currently in the works, one of which is almost finished! I apologize on behalf of the whole band for being so uninvolved it really is tragic to not be playing music regularly as a band.
#30March 22nd, 2012 · 05:52 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
Denmark
That voice could grow great!!!!

I'm tortured a bit by the drum tracks to be honest, the production I mean not the drummer. But the singing gets sunder my skin from time to time and that's a fab place to start.

Would love to hear you guys with a better production!!!
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 2:32 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.