#1September 12th, 2011 · 06:17 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Complete Control (v2)

This song is not in a battle

Posted another version of this, but then had pointed out that the EQ was favouring the high-end a bit too much (thanks Max!)
Here's a reworked version of an old song of mine.  I've added a verse and a half, a changed the chorus too - all this so it can be played live acoustically.
Hope you like
Cheers

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 12th, 2011 · 06:23 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Complete Control (lyrics)
I seem to be projected
In some odd spectator sport
and though my sign waves are reflective
you don't understand my thought
You're so wrapped up in your camouflage
that you're missing all the news
But a long cold drink and a sensual massage
Should help to mend the bruise

Your sharp edged words and stabbing remarks
have left me pained and almost dead
but I have a feeling that this one will last
'cos the hurt it's all there in your head
There's things that I can't say to you
Some things you just don't know
Don't poke, don't stir this can of worms
you wouldn't like what you exposed

[Chorus}
Complete control of the matter in hand
I need complete control, because I don't understand
Complete control to carry me through
I usually find it easy, but oh with you

Now I don't mind if you talk to me
I'll listen to what you say
But the noises that you've made so far
make no sense in any way
The way ahead's not clear to me
I don't know what I should do
I change direction all the time
but where I go's not up to you

[Ch]

[Bridge]
I need some pointers, where should I go
Disarray is in overload
Let's organise to save my soul
Please, oh please

I wash my hands of subconscious revolt
as my sane mind looks on bemused
I've got to leave now before I get hurt
My senses they feel so abused

[Ch]
#3September 13th, 2011 · 09:05 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
I was with Max on the lack-of-low-end on the original, (at least on the guitar), but was having trouble posting a reply from work.

Like the song though. And the harmonies.

One thing I'd advise trying, if you're willing to spend about an hour doing it. (It's pretty boring.) But I've noticed that you can sometimes make harmonies sound markedly better by chopping them up a bit to better align them with the main vocal. It's kind of hard to explain in text but I'll give it a shot... Assuming A is your main vocal and B is your harmony, and periods represent silence or gaps in the vocals:

A: ...These...are...words..
B: ...These..are......words

So if your harmony doesn't quite line up with the main initially, you can chop it into three parts, and slide them around so you have:

A: ...These...are...words..
B: ...These...are...words..

Even if the words don't quite end at the same time, having them start at the same time is a big help (IMO).

PS. If that makes no sense whatsoever.. eh, at least I tried.
#4September 13th, 2011 · 03:59 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
thats what it needed, so much more enjoyable now, so i enjoyed much more 
for sure you would have found out yourself later on

funny Brian didnt mind the vox as they were, guess we all want something different

the explanation seems fully logic to me Brian, i worked like that too, especially when latency had confused me.

btw. i was told once not to emphasize or not pronounce at all the last riveter(? P,T,S etc) when singin harmony, so the timing becomes a less issue
 ears are happy now
#5September 13th, 2011 · 05:12 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks guys.. good and valid feedback (to this, and the now removed version).  I'm glad I sorted the eq issues out - and it's good to know that the two sound-cards have a different tonal quality (the m-audio being the best for mixing as it's got a much flatter sound; the other is integral to my mackie mixer and works well for recording with virtually zero latency)
Brian - I completely agree about the harmonies sounding better when they start and end at the same time (as each other and the other harmonies).  I've done that on a couple of songs where they were demos, but most of the recordings done of late have been recorded and mixed in an afternoon as I just wanted some record of the music out there.  I may revisit a few of them now I have a newer version of cubase, and have a play!
Cheers
Jim A
#6September 13th, 2011 · 06:13 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Complete Control
WOW!!!In my headphones
Best the production by u to date !!!!by miles!!!
its like balanced between guit and vocal....A very rare  happenin........
I have no eq matters .......the quality of a flat record kills that
no reverb .... works....as everyone hears diffrent....
you getting so much better
dont know quite how u recorded this ....
but its by far your best!!!!

the cut guitar solo is great!!!!!
plus its a great song .............
so song 90several%
production i love from u 100%

WOWvFISH
#7September 14th, 2011 · 04:50 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
I can imagine this song in a bigger arrangement ( bass, drums , e-git , perhaps strings or brass, synth-pad or Hammond organ). There´s much potential to make the best of it......................

U.L.I.
#8September 14th, 2011 · 02:54 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I like both versions - horses for courses
Sounds good for a quick recording mate - This needs to be heard live to appreciate it better IMO

Glad you sorted your Cubase 5 - how would you compare it to your previous version?

I'd say one thing on the mix - Try slightly less compression - the pro's say you should hardly notice it kicking in, I can hear it...lol -

Keep 'em coming fella
#9September 16th, 2011 · 07:26 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Again, thanks for the positive comments everyone...

@Swordy - all recorded with Cubase 5 as the DAW with everything straight in through my mackie mixer, using the USB and internal soundcard.  When it came to mixing I discovered (thanks MaxdB) that the mackie was a bit bass heavy on the EQ, so I redid it with the m-audio soundcard I have on the PC.  In terms of how, well guitar is done first with both line in and mic (hard left and hard right so I can blend the sound in the mix), then vocals.  Simples!

@ULI - the original was recorded with electric, bass, and drums.  It's an early recording of mine so there's no keyboard on it.  Having listened again recently, it's not bad (IMHO ) but it's a different song.  You can find it here

@Denis - Yup, got it sorted on the music PC.  Still can't get it to run on my Windows 7 PC (well, it runs once, then won't load again!).  I don't hear the compression kicking in, so will listen through headphones to see what you mean, but it's highly possible as the final mix has multiband compression applied, and it's a new tool to me so I probably overdid it!

Listening to this again, I'm disappointed by how the vocal melody doesn't follow the strumming pattern as well as it should - this is something I must work on.  It doesn't happen in a live performance as strumming and vocal delivery are interlinked as both happen at the same time.  I may see if I can fix it in this (and, many other of my songs to really).

[Edit... I decided to redo the timing of the vocals following the great advice above.  Not wanting to lose the comments (or post yet another version) you can hear it now on Soundcloud at http://soundcloud.com/jimacourt/complete-control
Thanks for your indulgence!]
#10September 17th, 2011 · 08:57 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Nice work Jim, nice clean production, good vocal work and neat guitaring

well a lot of suggestions have been made and I'm not going to further any myself, as you say that you want to play things live acoustically it's pointless to bring up ideas for arrangements etc.

though if you can get a mate doing bongos - or wait, a bodhran! that would give acoustic tunes a lil more punch. that's what my ears want, always, but that's just taste!

Anyway it's a good song, well done!
#11September 18th, 2011 · 06:03 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Complete Control (v2)
Jiminuk wrote…
Posted another version of this, but then had pointed out that the EQ was favouring the high-end a bit too much (thanks Max!)
Here's a reworked version of an old song of mine.  I've added a verse and a half, a changed the chorus too - all this so it can be played live acoustically.
Hope you like
Cheers
:)
pups got a good idea to knock in some rhythm ....

but i reckon the bus has passed thst stop!!!! haha
as you are where u are

fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 12:49 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.