1 2

#1June 20th, 2006 · 10:25 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Complete Control
Score: 80.0%
Battle: 2006-09

Some time was spent on this one - it's come out fairly well I think.

Thanks to a couple of people who made comments on the earlier (instrumental) version of this track, especially:
       PX - I redid the bass, and "tidied up" the guitar work that got sloppier as the song progressed.
       JimK -  the bass has been dropped a little in the mix, but I still wanted it prominent, so haven't lowered it that much!

For any who are interested:
The drums are looped together using RiffWorks
Instrumental effects are through a Pod XT live
All guitars, including the bass, are recorded using a Line 6 Variax 600.

Thanks for listening.  Hope you enjoy.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2June 20th, 2006 · 10:57 AM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
Good job Jim!!  I can tell you've been working on it!  The only thing I've noticed is that the layered vocals seem to be out of sync with each other...I think I would like to hear these much tighter.  I really like the 1:20-33 part...I vote!
#3June 20th, 2006 · 12:04 PM
9 threads / 4 songs
209 posts
India
nice song all i can say...

really groovy..
#4June 20th, 2006 · 12:04 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
This has a nice classic rock feel to it.Not a bad tune.I agree about the layered vocals,also think the vocal line isnt sung powerfully enough.Overall good job.......80%
#5June 20th, 2006 · 12:28 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
writing as i listen

nice riffs and solos

hmm, the voice sound good, maybe need more power but is OK

with a stronger distortion it could be a nice Power ballad

good job, i voted it

Dodo! 
#6June 20th, 2006 · 07:25 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
hi jim
classic sound ,reminicent of ,Idon't know why but Jethro Tull.Maybe the vocal range similar to Ian Anderson ....one of my all time favs 2.Shows you put some thought into this.Great song.
The guitar lines and arrangement are pearlers.
very cool 
#7June 20th, 2006 · 09:00 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Hey man, nice nice work!
Back to the old rock. Sounds a bit like Beatles and I like it... mixed with Hendrix may be.
Good job on guitars and in the general mix. Pretty good production quality.
Nice song man!

> Iszil

PS: Guess was you who told me to buy the Line 6 POD XT Live.. .well, it's arriving to Chile in few days... Hehehe.
#8June 20th, 2006 · 10:29 PM
23 threads / 20 songs
235 posts
Canada
Wow, i'm really bopping to this! really catchy, well writeen! a little muffly on the vox, but i really like how you came right in with it! It really grew on me! Good job! ya! 
#9June 21st, 2006 · 04:42 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
i like it ,it's got style,love the guitar,love everything,like the ending too.
#10June 21st, 2006 · 08:52 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone.

Spoony wrote…
I've noticed is that the layered vocals seem to be out of sync with each other...I think I would like to hear these much tighter
They're not out of sync - but my vocals are very loose, I agree.  That's coz my timing sucks!

dodosito and Siren wrote…
.....voice sound good, maybe need more power.......
...............a little muffly on the vox..............
You're right!  I had a bit of a "whoops" with Cubase, and ended up doing a single audio mixdown for vocals that I then applied some fx to.  After reading dodosito's comments I revisited the original tracks, and have lifted them in the mix and brightened them up a little too.  But obviously, it's not posted here!

Iszil wrote…
PS: Guess was you who told me to buy the Line 6 POD XT Live.. .well, it's arriving to Chile in few days... Hehehe
Yes, it was!  It's an awesome pedal - just wait until you link it to your pc and start "fiddling".  Hope you enjoy it Iz.

#11June 21st, 2006 · 09:20 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
hey
I had a Beatle Flashback at the begining (Happy just to dance with you) I think thats the tune..overall  I like the song Jim...you rock dude

Ralph
#12June 22nd, 2006 · 05:15 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
My Freind Jim...
Allow me to say, you seem to be in Complete Control Sir.....

This is incredible....  Very well done...

I think most summed up very well the minor, and I mean minor, issues...

Overall it is a great piece... and I agree with Flyer...  YOU ROCK DUDE...

Jim K
#13June 27th, 2006 · 03:50 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Complete Control
God Jim do you play this stuff with a band????????

If so visit me

Great live sound very organised song
clean vocals guitars///
what more would a fish want

a fantastic vocal......................youre voice of course
will pm u on this

90%very very good
#14June 27th, 2006 · 04:42 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
really nice 1 indeed,

I really like the construction and sound of those drums, and you did well on the instrumentals. Perhaps the layered vocals could be tightened up, but the song as a whole is a real cohesive thing when it comes to composition/performance/mix... very good on all accounts!

I like the guitar tones, esp. at the harmony part 2:41 - 2:53, that's always a real nice effect.

I think the acoustic sound (which you  told me isn't a real acoustic btw) could have been mixed louder, ... then again, maybe the entire mix could use some thorough mastering... full compression, enhancing, stereo image enhancer... why not?

cheers, v. well vote for you!
#15September 1st, 2006 · 08:47 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
140 posts
United Kingdom
Good song. It has a nice groove.

My opinions are of less value than some of the more experienced members here but there are one or two issues my ear has with this.
I'd agree with Spoon that the vocals need to be tighter with the harmonies, which are nice BTW.
Somehow I'm hearing the bass fade in and out a little from time to time. Perhaps a compression or maybe a masking issue- I don't know.
Nice sound on accoustic and lead guitars.
Like the ending.
Overall, a very good song with just a few minor tidying up points I think.
Well done.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 1:16 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.