1 2

#1September 3rd, 2011 · 05:36 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Red Light, Green Light

This song is not in a battle

My first attempt (at least in several years) to write and produce an electronic song.

Perhaps it's a failure, in that I ended up mixing my guitar and bass in pretty loudly, but I'm really happy with it none-the-less.

It's catchy!
Please enjoy.

All music, lyrics, and production by Brian Vaughn.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 3rd, 2011 · 08:47 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Catchy song and arrangement...Seems you spent some time putting this together...Btw great voice..not sure about the autotune but it all works well...Good work...Lots of talent and good ideas!
#3September 4th, 2011 · 03:42 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Have you tried layering the vox hard left center and hard right. It would probably be too much for the whole song, maybe just the chorus. May be reduce the pitch correction so that it's hardly noticeable, or use it as an effect in selected places.

I'm listening on small headphones at the moment, but the mix is pretty good.

Not a lover of the drum sounds.

It's not an electronic song imo, might sound better with acoustic drums.

It's well put together and well performed - Nice song
#4September 4th, 2011 · 06:52 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thanks guys, for the kind words and the feedback. Since you both mentioned the vocals, are you disliking the vocoded harmonies? They're only in a couple of places, but I could pull them back or out, I just thought it fit with the style of the song. (Most of the weird harmonies are just.. weird because I sang them weird though. I think I only used the vocoder in 3 or 4 spots.)

@Denis I tried an acoustic kit but I thought it sounded awful. It could just be the kit selection I have. The Steven Slate stuff is mostly only well-suited for... metal or at least rock, so it sounded weird. I could definitely try doing a remix with acoustic drums though.

Edit: I also used a glitch-effect on the vocals (VST plug-in called Effectrix) to make them sound a little more robotic/electronic in parts. Mostly this was used during the verses (and at the very end). Could be you're not digging that effect?
#5September 4th, 2011 · 07:08 AM
4 threads / 2 songs
9 posts
Philippines
My gosh! I love it!!!! ^_^
I love the music and your voice as well

I don't really know what to say about the arrangement and stuff coz' im still kind of learning as well.
But I totally dig it
#6September 4th, 2011 · 07:42 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thank you, so much.
#7September 4th, 2011 · 08:44 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Very good production again, a popular style of sound.
Not my cup of tea, the autotune, as has been said here and before, if it's used at certain points just like good old Cher did all those years ago then it does add a dimension.
All the time makes it an obstacle ... sort of. I'm still enjoying it ... sort of   

Beat goes on a bit but whole thing is again spot on it's own goals
#8September 4th, 2011 · 08:52 AM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thanks K.

After getting a couple of comments about what people are calling "auto-tune" I'm already working on a mix that gets rid of the vocoded harmonies and Effectrix/glitch plug-in to re-post later in the day hopefully. Also currently trying my hand (again) on an acoustic drum kit to hopefully make Denis happy
#9September 4th, 2011 · 11:45 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
15 posts
India
Catchy melody, and as Denis posted its not that electronic btw, And The auto tune effect could be used sparingly to emphasis certain parts only.

Overall a good composition, Your voice is great,

Mixing seems Good, the guitars and bass seem to collide, Vocals on the other hand are mixed with perfection, love how its stands out.

#10September 4th, 2011 · 02:24 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
"auto-tune" is what the original fx is called..any other branch off including different names still do the same shit!!!!..In my book no need for that you have a great voice... 
#11September 4th, 2011 · 02:38 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Thanks Cosmic.

@Marino - but they're not the same. A vocoder is more like an instrument, and it was used sparingly. The Effectrix VST doesn't tune, it chops and glitches. I was mostly just trying to figure out which part of the vocals people were taking issue with so I'd know what to change. But, thanks for the compliment either way.
#12September 4th, 2011 · 03:12 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I know what the difference is but tx for the clarification either way...The point is you have a good voice and the Vst emulates a similar Fx thus taking away from what I would consider an already excellent vocal performance...But again tx for the clarification...
#13September 4th, 2011 · 06:00 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Sorry mate I didn't mean to sound condescending and I see your point. I suppose the only reason I was trying to point out the differences was because in my mind "auto tune" goes with lack of talent but glitching or vocoding takes some creativity at least. But thank you again for the compliment on my voice, and I hope to post another mix of this in a bit that maybe people will enjoy more.
#14September 4th, 2011 · 07:14 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
No worries ...Its all good..Looking forward to the new mix....You have some great talent going for you...Cheers!
#15September 4th, 2011 · 09:09 PM
32 threads / 28 songs
201 posts
United States of America
Alright folks. In my excitement to try a new genre it seems I may have over-done it, so I've started a remix that (hopefully?) addresses some of the more frequently brought-up criticisms of this mix. Things I've changed:
  • Removed vocoded vocal harmonies (though there weren't many before, they're all gone now)
  • Removed vocal "glitch"/stutter Effectrix effects (and added a little reverb, on a whim- though maybe that was overkill?)
  • Re-wrote drum part and replaced electronic drum sounds with Steven Slate samples for a more acoustic feel
  • Muted synths (at least for now) and weird sci-fi ambient sounds

Here's the first ~2:00 or so. Though you've already been very helpful, I'm hoping I can ask a little more of you and maybe get some feedback regarding whether this is generally viewed as an improvement or a worsening of the mix.

http://www.boynamedbri.com/music/unreleased/BrianVaughn-RedLightGreenLight(Remix).mp3

Edit: I double-tracked all of my vocals (melody and harmony) for this song, panned hard Left and Right. Sometimes I sang slight variations of the part for the second tracking. This was intentional (as I think it provides a kind of neat effect) and will hopefully not be confused with auto-tuning.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 11:37 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.