1 2

#1July 5th, 2011 · 04:44 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Pent Up Sex Appeal

This song is not in a battle

Collaborated with Colin Jones who wrote the Lyrics
I bought a used Epiphone Left-handed Les Paul - Tried out for the first time on this track

This was a real fun project - I think it's complete??-  may have to tweak the mix, this is the first version.

........................................................................................................................................................................

I don’t care and I don’t frown, when you are with me I’m never down,
When you smile and when you speak, it’s all the pleasure I ever seek,
You make me feel like a spinning wheel, with your crazy pent up sex appeal
I can’t believe the way you are, when you come at me like a shooting star.

You’re there one minute and then you’re gone and I don’t know what I’ve done wrong,
It beats me up when you are this way, not listening to a word I say.
When all I have are the photographs, the music, words and endless laughs,
The days we sat under shady trees, the shifting sand of memories.

If that is all we have to hold, they’ll stay with me as we grow old,
And things in them will change a touch, but never spoil the scene too much,
I’ll take them with me when I go, my very own life picture show,
So make it with me - make it last, an image of this lovely past.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 6th, 2011 · 03:00 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Häh??
Is this Denis Knopfler singing?
I must say, you´re bringing the lyrics and the music perfectly together to ONE common "act".
Your collabs with ya chap Colin work absolutly fine.

aha, now you´ve caught  an "Epi-Paula"? As well as I know you it was a "5-star-bargain" again , yes?    
Can you upload a pic, please?  I´m courious.
U.L.I.
#3July 6th, 2011 · 07:36 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
H�h??
Is this Denis Knopfler singing?
I must say, you�re bringing the lyrics and the music perfectly together to ONE common "act".
Your collabs with ya chap Colin work absolutly fine.

aha, now you�ve caught  an "Epi-Paula"? As well as I know you it was a "5-star-bargain" again , yes?    
Can you upload a pic, please?  I�m courious.
U.L.I.

Yeah I was patient - got a bargain reduced from £200 to £150.00, not as patient as the chap selling. He even brought it round my house to try out. The guitar is in excellent condition, it needs running in...lol. The craftsmanship is faultless, I was expecting it to be avarage being manufactured in China.

I'll take some pics later and upload
#4July 6th, 2011 · 09:07 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
My New Les Paul
Not the best quality pic - Here's my new Epi Les Paul
#5July 6th, 2011 · 10:39 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Haha yeah definately has a Knopfler feel to it, mainly because of the vox. Nice track, I like the drum sequence a lot, simplicity combined with a few catchy breaks. Although there is a lot of tambourine going on, which strongly colours the otherwise so clean and transparent arrangement.

Nice song with good lyrics, and that's a very nice guitar!
#6July 10th, 2011 · 12:00 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
More Pics of my new Les Paul

Has anyone had experience changing picups on an Epiphone Les Paul? - I'm thinking of putting Gibson 57 Classics on the guitar. New they cost about £75.00ea,
#7July 10th, 2011 · 12:59 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…

Has anyone had experience changing picups on an Epiphone Les Paul? - I'm thinking of putting Gibson 57 Classics on the guitar. New they cost about £75.00ea,
No, but I've got two Epiphones I plan to upgrade with some hot-rodded pickups. One is a Les Paul, the other is an SG. Their pickups are pretty lackluster. My Les Paul is a "Cherryburst". but I have always wanted a "Vintage Sunburst" or a "Tobacco Burst" like your's. (In fact, I'm currently bidding on one from eBay).
#8July 10th, 2011 · 05:47 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
Denis wrote…

No, but I've got two Epiphones I plan to upgrade with some hot-rodded pickups. One is a Les Paul, the other is an SG. Their pickups are pretty lackluster. My Epiphone is a "Cherryburst". but I have always wanted a "Vintage Sunburst" or a "Tobacco Burst" like your's. (In fact, I'm currently bidding on one from eBay).

I played the guitar through speakers for the first time today and I like what I hear, I'm putting through a line 6 pod and found some presets that I like the sound of, so I think I'll stick with it for now. I had a listen to those hot rodded picups and they sound a bit too metallic for my liking, that's why I thought of upgrading to the Gibsons 57 classics, you still get that heavy sound, but slightly more high end, but I've a feeling that there is not a lot in it. The other important thing is what you put your guitar through and tweak the settings. It's not something you can try before you buy and every youtube video I've seen where people have changed picups sound different. If I find another bargain I may be tempted to get the Gibsons, for now I'll record some stuff and see how it sounds.
#9July 10th, 2011 · 08:01 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
battlecat wrote…
Denis wrote…

No, but I've got two Epiphones I plan to upgrade with some hot-rodded pickups. One is a Les Paul, the other is an SG. Their pickups are pretty lackluster. My Epiphone is a "Cherryburst". but I have always wanted a "Vintage Sunburst" or a "Tobacco Burst" like your's. (In fact, I'm currently bidding on one from eBay).

I played the guitar through speakers for the first time today and I like what I hear, I'm putting through a line 6 pod and found some presets that I like the sound of, so I think I'll stick with it for now. I had a listen to those hot rodded picups and they sound a bit too metallic for my liking, that's why I thought of upgrading to the Gibsons 57 classics, you still get that heavy sound, but slightly more high end, but I've a feeling that there is not a lot in it. The other important thing is what you put your guitar through and tweak the settings. It's not something you can try before you buy and every youtube video I've seen where people have changed picups sound different. If I find another bargain I may be tempted to get the Gibsons, for now I'll record some stuff and see how it sounds.
Interesting, I use a Pod, too (also use amps as I'm sure you do as well). I (like you) have several guitars and I have played them all through the same amps - the Epiphones just produce a less-expressive sound. The pickups I was going for aren't really the high-gain/distortion type - I'm more interested in getting that 59 Les Paul sound. I'm going for the Wagner "Fillmore" or "Darkburst" set, which are touted to produce that vintage sound (but they also offer clarity at low volumes).
#10July 11th, 2011 · 01:59 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
Denis wrote…
battlecat wrote…
Denis wrote…

Interesting, I use a Pod, too (also use amps as I'm sure you do as well). I (like you) have several guitars and I have played them all through the same amps - the Epiphones just produce a less-expressive sound. The pickups I was going for aren't really the high-gain/distortion type - I'm more interested in getting that 59 Les Paul sound. I'm going for the Wagner "Fillmore" or "Darkburst" set, which are touted to produce that vintage sound (but they also offer clarity at low volumes).
I listened to the Fillmores, they are close to what I'm looking for.
It's crazy I've been playing the guitar for over 38 years and I did not realize until doing lots of surfing the net that piccups can alter your sound, or more to the point create your own sound, a sound you like.
Many piccup companies seem to be in the US, which is pain for me if I get a problem, although I have stumbled across a UK company, but they cost more than the Gibson 57's, cickey they must be one hell of a pick up - here is a link
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/index.php
EDIT* - I like The Mule humbucker, it's versatile with huge tone - There are sound samples, real sweat - BUT  comes with a price tag to match - OUCH
#11July 12th, 2011 · 09:13 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
ARRRRRGH I got "beat out" on the "Vintage Sunburst" Les Paul I was bidding for on eBay. It sold for $245 USD (mine was one of three bids that went in in the last THREE SECONDS!!).Anyway, regarding the Bare Knuckle Pickups - I've checked them out (Toastedgoat recommended them to me, stating they're better that the Wagners). They are more expensive, and like you said they are produced in GB which would mean even more expense for me (but I also prefer the "Mule" - it's EQ is not as "scooped" as the others, thus it would produce a fuller, more expressive sound I believe). Here's a video with one guy playing the "Mule" pickups:

#12July 12th, 2011 · 01:39 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
ARRRRRGH I got "beat out" on the "Vintage Sunburst" Les Paul I was bidding for on eBay. It sold for $245 USD (mine was one of three bids that went in in the last THREE SECONDS!!).Anyway, regarding the Bare Knuckle Pickups - I've checked them out (Toastedgoat recommended them to me, stating they're better that the Wagners). They are more expensive, and like you said they are produced in GB which would mean even more expense for me (but I also prefer the "Mule" - it's EQ is not as "scooped" as the others, thus it would produce a fuller, more expressive sound I believe). Here's a video with one guy playing the "Mule" pickups:

Ahh too Bad - wow $245, is that for a pair? - I'm sure you will have other opportunities
I'm pretty sure I read on the Bare Knuckle site that they don't charge  VAT (Tax) for overseas orders - VAT is 20%
Yeah  I saw that vid you put up - I'm really tempted, but I'll remain patient, I'm sure another bargain will come up soon, as you will find too.
This chap on you tube who has a Gibson 57 Classic on the Bridge and a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary job on the bridge - it sounds nice

#13July 13th, 2011 · 04:05 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Wow, you did a really good snip with that Paula, Denis. And what I heard on your last song I can say that it doesn´t sound bad.
If you´re thinking about changing  pickups don´t be too niggard. It´s a good investment when you´re happy with the "rest" of the git. (wood, hardware, action, comfort).

Sometimes I thought about changing PUs and electronic of my Ibi-Strat. Another option in my mind is still a
"Parker" git (interesting models are starting at ~ 1600€    ).
And yesterday I visited a gitshop and fell in love with a Fender "american standard" Strat. (1500€).         Wow, what a guitar. The (maple)-neck is built just for MY hand, 3 noiseless-single-coils, beautiful sunburst and a wonderful , balanced tone, endless sustain, rich overtones, Trim-locks, no more sharp edges on the bridge-hardware................ A very modern concept here.
I´ve never been a Fender Fan, but thisone´s gonna change my mind.

Now I´m dithering between those 3 options (Ibi-upgrade, Parker or Strat). To find the right decision I must test a Parker. Then I´ll know what to do. If there weren´t the price......................it woukd be much easier.......
    sniff    sigh  
#14July 13th, 2011 · 05:27 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
Wow, you did a really good snip with that Paula, Denis. And what I heard on your last song I can say that it doesn�t sound bad.
If you�re thinking about changing  pickups don�t be too niggard. It�s a good investment when you�re happy with the "rest" of the git. (wood, hardware, action, comfort).

Sometimes I thought about changing PUs and electronic of my Ibi-Strat. Another option in my mind is still a
"Parker" git (interesting models are starting at ~ 1600�    ).
And yesterday I visited a gitshop and fell in love with a Fender "american standard" Strat. (1500�).         Wow, what a guitar. The (maple)-neck is built just for MY hand, 3 noiseless-single-coils, beautiful sunburst and a wonderful , balanced tone, endless sustain, rich overtones, Trim-locks, no more sharp edges on the bridge-hardware................ A very modern concept here.
I�ve never been a Fender Fan, but thisone�s gonna change my mind.

Now I�m dithering between those 3 options (Ibi-upgrade, Parker or Strat). To find the right decision I must test a Parker. Then I�ll know what to do. If there weren�t the price......................it woukd be much easier.......
    sniff    sigh   :(

1550? what, is that money - If it's a USA model it will hold it's value, so you can't loose if you decide to sell it.
When I got the Epi, I was studying the difference between the The Gibsons and the Epi's, there really is very little difference in the workmanship, you pay three times as much for a Gibson, BUT they hold there value or go up. I bought my fender USA strat in the early 80's for £220.00, now worth upto £2,000.00.

I think when I retire I will become a guitar dealer, I love researching the different types, I could specialize in lefties try and find some rare examples in poor condition, get them professionally restored (Luther's come cheap in UK) then sell them on.

Talking piccups, my research shows that many epi owners don't like the stock piccups. In this recording I had the tone on max on guitar and on the pod the mids and treble on max, plus I added more mids and treble on Cubase - I don't like doing that because it changes the natural sound of the guitar. Acoustically the guitar sound amazing,  I would like to keep close to the natural acoustic sound of the instrument. Based on my research an electric guitar sound is more influenced by the piccups than the wood, an acoustic guitar is the complete opposite. There are guitarists out there who make it a hobby to trying out loads of piccups.

I came across this Pack that has the same set-up as David Gilmores Red Strat -  http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-pickups/pid16433/cid705/emg-dg20-david-gilmour-set-of-pickups-38-pickguard.asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping
The pack has the piccups pots and gadgets already assembled on the scratch plate, you simply remove the old ones and plug in the new - but it was not cheap -£300

#15July 13th, 2011 · 06:47 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
It´s also a nice tone on that strat. If one wants to sound like D. Gilmor.
The pichguard which belongs to the PUs looks very beautiful.

I think I have to be commited to an institution.  Today I bugged out and I ordered a "Maxxfly".
Just need 1 or 2 days of patience and I will see if it´s that great as I hope . If I don´t like it, I can send it back within 30 days .

http://www.thomann.de/gb/parker_maxxfly_bolt_on_ns.htm

I guess, I´ll have some sleepless nights.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 6:26 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.