1 2
#16March 16th, 2011 · 10:18 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
Shuffle and Shake

I've gathered this far down the page that your working at it .... good
The rim hit, is it meant as a ..... what ? ............ what ? ...... is it meant as a rim hit or as your metronome ?
Because it stays the same even on the rolls.... confusing !
It is the snare sounds, in this recording, that are off the rest of the percussion sounds are reasonable.

Going for thirds ... what a superb song, I can feel the fun and you have wonderful expression.

Cant wait for the LIVE version ....  ;)
HAHAHA....I'm busted!! Yeah, I was using the drum machine (with the "sidestick") as a metronome...then I played an electronic set over top of that, hoping no-one would notice the sidestick (I didn't want to take the time to program the whole song on the machine - and it's hard to avoid a mechanical quality with the machine alone). Yeah. I don't do much drumming, so I have lousy timing. Now, using the acoustic set, my timing may not be much better, but we'll see. Thanks for the excellent feedback, Kings!
#17March 18th, 2011 · 03:47 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
battlecat wrote…
My guitar set up on this one was my Ibanez USA Pro, played through a Pod X-3 Live. I've described that guitar to you before. It looks a LOT like your guitar (clear finish, flame-maple top, etc - quite a few guitars in the late eighties/early nineties had that look) except it has a humbucker at the neck, one at the bridge and a single-coil in the middle. I believe (if I remember correctly) your guitar had a single coil in the neck and middle position and a humbucker at the bridge. Anyway, it has a five-position switch and therefore had those "2 and 4" positions which produce that Strat "snarky" sound. I also have a Kramer American Pacer, which for all purposes is a knock-off of a Strat, with an Floyd Rose whammy-bar. I plan to put out a new version tonight if I have time - it's not finished, just in another stage of development......thanks for your support!!!!!

i remember now, tnx for telling again
almost bought a Kramer once, but went for the Yamaha SG, always regretted that since the damn thing broke twice and was way too heavy also
now i have fixed a 80's Hondo strat for a friend and it sounds wonderfull bluesy !
The old Charvel needs new frets, hope to get that done this year.
#18March 18th, 2011 · 11:22 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Wow nice job cat I've been listening to a lot of blues lately and this would fit right in there would that your voice sounds a bit too "white" to my blues-taste - not that you didn't do a good job singing, ... Production wise the track certainly holds in comparison to that Mega Blues 4-disc compilation I've been listening to btw hehe as it contains a lot of historical and live recordings - Happens to not have the original Help Me on there - but I may have it on another blues disc in my collection.

I wouldn't put too much effort in polishing this as it will ruin the true bluesiness of it... Maybe mix the organ a bit louder yeah but keep it real

Anyway very good job and nice to see you've been able to free up time to make some music again.
#19March 18th, 2011 · 02:07 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
@ Max - yeah, your's was a Charvel! I'm laughing about your comments about the Yamaha - they WERE heavy!!
@ Puppetxeno - Thanks for commenting, Pup! You're absolutely right (and thus validating my own self-critique) that my vocals were too "white" - I have already re-cut some new vocals, have laid down some new drums and I am currently working on the organ volume situation - I have never developed my "blues" vox-chops and I am using this as an opportunity to work on them a little - the new edition is...how can I say?...more "raucous" vocally than this one - I would welcome your observations about whether the new ones are an improvement....or just weird. Thanks for the observation about authenticity - that was my thinking too in making any adjustments....the great thing about doing blues authentically is that the old recordings were fairly poor in terms of production....so it helps me to consider my own authentic! I hope to get the revised edition up this weekend.
#20March 19th, 2011 · 12:37 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
@ Max - yeah, your's was a Charvel! I'm laughing about your comments about the Yamaha - they WERE heavy!!
@ Puppetxeno - Thanks for commenting, Pup! You're absolutely right (and thus validating my own self-critique) that my vocals were too "white" - I have already re-cut some new vocals, have laid down some new drums and I am currently working on the organ volume situation - I have never developed my "blues" vox-chops and I am using this as an opportunity to work on them a little - the new edition is...how can I say?...more "raucous" vocally than this one - I would welcome your observations about whether the new ones are an improvement....or just weird. Thanks for the observation about authenticity - that was my thinking too in making any adjustments....the great thing about doing blues authentically is that the old recordings were fairly poor in terms of production....so it helps me to consider my own authentic! I hope to get the revised edition up this weekend.

Do you have a tube plug-in (there are plenty, so I'd research it, there are probably some good free ones) - highly recommended for the blues, you can even set it up high so it's a little distorted, the distorted sound has a warm feel to it.
How do you record with your standalone, hence I use a tube pre-amp, this one
http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=79&cat=1&id=93
Edit* This is the latest version, very little difference. http://www.themicstore.co.uk/art-pro-mpa-ii-2-channel-rackmounted-microphone-preamp-536-p.asp
JPB has got one too, I think you can pick them up at a reasonable price in the USA - I use it for all audio, excellent for acoustic guitar, it has "Tube plate voltage" (best used on stringed instruments), it really hots up the tube, gives it a nice warm FAT sound.
Also excellent, it has "variable Impedance", basically the higher the setting the more sensitive the mic becomes, I find it works extremely well for a dynamic mic, like the shure SM57 (a studio industry standard), when you raise the variable impedance it sounds like a condenser mic.
#21March 19th, 2011 · 08:33 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Well, man, it seems you are a hell of a faker!
First of all, I love the organ; the tone and the arrangements. That solo kicked ass too!
You have a really good voice, cat. It fits perfectly here.
The drums sounded a bit fake, but it didn't ruin the song so it's fine.
Good job, kitty cat!

> Iszil
#22April 1st, 2011 · 03:41 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Cat! My man! I am so glad to hear something new. Very nice jam while I was getting things done around the house.
Some of the drum fills were a little off, but as I read somewhere you used a drum machine, so I guess I can forgive you. :P
The solo blew me away. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez
I loooved the organ. Something to get down to.

Perfect, Cat, perfect.
#23April 1st, 2011 · 05:44 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
MeowMachine wrote…
Cat! My man! I am so glad to hear something new. Very nice jam while I was getting things done around the house.
Some of the drum fills were a little off, but as I read somewhere you used a drum machine, so I guess I can forgive you. :P
The solo blew me away. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez
I loooved the organ. Something to get down to.

Perfect, Cat, perfect.
Heeeeyyyyy! Good to hear from you! Thanks for the review..(always good to hear from our Leichtenstein correspondent!!) ...so glad you liked it! Yeah there's some work that needs to be done here....one day I'll upload a new and improved version (it's taking longer than expected...Last weekend I was attempting to recut the drums using an acoustic set - and I accidentally ERASED parts of the initial harp, organ, drums. Waaahhhhhhh!!!!! So I am having to go back in and recut some of that stuff....and it's quite tedious to blend that in with the existing stuff...if you know what I mean....)
#24April 2nd, 2011 · 04:49 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
actually.., maybe its good enough as it is.., it brings up emotions to many ppl here, if you get stuck in improving you might be losing that..?
Maybe just use this knowledge for new thingies.
just a thought
#25April 2nd, 2011 · 07:48 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
MaxdB wrote…
actually.., maybe its good enough as it is.., it brings up emotions to many ppl here, if you get stuck in improving you might be losing that..?
Maybe just use this knowledge for new thingies.
just a thought
Good Point, Max! I was starting to have those thoughts, too... thanks!
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 1:08 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.