1 2

#1March 13th, 2011 · 11:28 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Help Me

This song is not in a battle

A cover of an old Sonny Boy Williamson tune, recorded this afternoon for fun and a chance to experiment with recording various instruments. I'm not a harp player, just faking it.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 14th, 2011 · 02:00 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Wanna shake ya  , you bloody faker !
What´s that ? Catty and a new song ? Didn´t believe I´d experience this day .  
As a keyboard faker lemme say : great harp-fake-job .
Not a bad recording for only one afternoon . Of course there some mixing- and timing issues . But that´s not so important in this case . If you wanna do so you can raise up the organ-solo a bit and EQing vox lil brighter .
Love that git solo .

"Jumping out of the nightshirt and listening to the early bird "........tweeting the "stormy monday blues";) 
bluey U . L . I .
#3March 14th, 2011 · 05:51 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
nice waking up with this tune!
love that organ, even wish it was louder, and went more crazy in that one empty part in the end :-)))
but love it anyway, just as the the guitar and harmonica, great tones, u know the blues!
bet U had  a nice afternoon, i'll have a nice morning
#4March 14th, 2011 · 08:03 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
What a Bluescat!
THIS IS MY CUP OF TEA!!!!

where the heck does this organ come from??? it sounds so wonderful dirty
I second MAxdb's opinion to put more dynamic in the end, even if the drums sound bit "electronic" so  my rating is below 100%
An instrumental ending with organ, git and harp would be great. But I don't want to criticize your fun you've had.
#5March 14th, 2011 · 09:36 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Thanks, guys! Great suggestions!
@ ULI: I'm also "faking it" on keyboard, drums....in fact I'm doing a LOT of faking on this one....Thanks for the suggestions on the organ solo and Vox EQ. I'll give that a shot...
@Maxdb: I will also take a shot at increasing the volume on the organ solo. I'm trying to figure out what you are talking about with the "empty part in the end" - are you referring to the "dropping out" of the organ? If so, you're right. The ending was sorta "cobbled together". I may attempt to re-do the ending (see below).
@ TK: LOL - that organ is my VK-7, Roland's mid-nineties take on the B-3. I wanted to increase the volume on the solo, but couldn't figure out how to do it (however this morning I may have figured out a way to do this).Good suggestion on improving the ending. That would help "tie everything together" and create a "climax". When I get some time, I will take a shot at this. The drums? They are a hybrid of my drum machine, overlaid with my electronic set (to try to "humanize them" somewhat). Both have such crappy cymbal sounds, I attempted to record my acoustic kit's actual cymbals - but this doesn't quite "blend" very well (I'm finding out the is a definite science to recording acoustic drums...i.e. mic placement, type of mic, even how I hit the cymbals makes a real difference. I would have attempted to do the whole piece with acoustic drums, but my timing isn't that good, and the drum mics I have aren't that great either, so the drums tend to sound flat, regardless of what I do - having said that I may try to do it anyway! ).
#6March 15th, 2011 · 11:25 AM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
This song has a harmonica in it. I am biased. This song is now on auto repeat. I only wish that the organ was a tad louder.
#7March 15th, 2011 · 11:43 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice job BC - great work for one afternoon 
Things I wanted to say already mentioned, so I won't bore you.
Have you tried EzDrummer (vintage or jazz kit would work I think) or Addictive Drums?
Yeah micing a drum kit takes some work, every different place has it's own acoustic sound and mics have their place too - Then there is playing them - phew.... sounds like hard work

But hey this is for fun and a fun piece it is too...
#8March 15th, 2011 · 12:52 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
@ Songwriter: Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I'm working on some improvements (see below)
@ Denis - Thanks!   Because I've had a couple days off from work (rare occasion) I have been able to go back into this and begin reworking some pieces like making the organ louder, re-doing the vocals (changing the EQ settings, too), completely re-doing the drums (this time using all acoustic drums...they're not going to be perfect but I believe they'll sound more authentic. Attempting to play them is a challenge - I've probably done 20 takes - but it's real fun!). Thanks for the suggestion about Addictive Drums..I've considered that - There might be a challenge in using them in that I use a standalone recorder, but I think I could program them on my computer, load that on a disc or use the USB port on the recorder, and load them into the recorder (?)
#9March 15th, 2011 · 03:14 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
@ Songwriter: Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I'm working on some improvements (see below)
@ Denis - Thanks!   Because I've had a couple days off from work (rare occasion) I have been able to go back into this and begin reworking some pieces like making the organ louder, re-doing the vocals (changing the EQ settings, too), completely re-doing the drums (this time using all acoustic drums...they're not going to be perfect but I believe they'll sound more authentic. Attempting to play them is a challenge - I've probably done 20 takes - but it's real fun!). Thanks for the suggestion about Addictive Drums..I've considered that - There might be a challenge in using them in that I use a standalone recorder, but I think I could program them on my computer, load that on a disc or use the USB port on the recorder, and load them into the recorder (?)

Cool about the acoustic drums - go for it.

I use a standalone recorder too for audio, use fruity loops for EzDrummer, it's fairly easy to use - mostly drag and drop, I can teach you the basics, in fact Marino did a tutorial on it, which helped me. But hey acoustic drums is the BEST.

I would really like to build a studio in my garden, hence I could sound proof it and get some acoustic drums, my home is too small for drums and the family would kill me alive, it's bad enough with the sax, I can only practice certain days and times, which hursts..
Well It's a dream, 'my own studio in the back garden' - it's all about the money, £15.000 approx...Ouch.
Although I may get a builder to put up the bricks and roofer for roof and electrician to do the electrics, I could do some of the work, but it would still cost approx £8,000.
I don't want to move either, too happy where I am and it will be paid for in just under three years, so may be after then I can save and get my dream studio, hopefully I'm not too old by then.....
#10March 15th, 2011 · 04:34 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
did i say empty part? :s
i ment the the organ solo at 3min. had the impresssion u just played the cords there, but hey i was waking up
what is your guitar set up btw? just interested.., great tone, i bet its a strat :p
and i long for to hear the reworked version!
#11March 15th, 2011 · 08:04 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
MaxdB wrote…
did i say empty part? :s
i ment the the organ solo at 3min. had the impresssion u just played the cords there, but hey i was waking up
what is your guitar set up btw? just interested.., great tone, i bet its a strat :p
and i long for to hear the reworked version!

LOL - and you're exactly RIGHT - I said I was "faking it" everywhere...also on organ; however I promise to try to put together a "more proper" solo 

My guitar set up on this one was my Ibanez USA Pro, played through a Pod X-3 Live. I've described that guitar to you before. It looks a LOT like your guitar (clear finish, flame-maple top, etc - quite a few guitars in the late eighties/early nineties had that look) except it has a humbucker at the neck, one at the bridge and a single-coil in the middle. I believe (if I remember correctly) your guitar had a single coil in the neck and middle position and a humbucker at the bridge. Anyway, it has a five-position switch and therefore had those "2 and 4" positions which produce that Strat "snarky" sound. I also have a Kramer American Pacer, which for all purposes is a knock-off of a Strat, with an Floyd Rose whammy-bar. I plan to put out a new version tonight if I have time - it's not finished, just in another stage of development......thanks for your support!!!!!
#12March 15th, 2011 · 08:15 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
battlecat wrote…

Cool about the acoustic drums - go for it.

I use a standalone recorder too for audio, use fruity loops for EzDrummer, it's fairly easy to use - mostly drag and drop, I can teach you the basics, in fact Marino did a tutorial on it, which helped me. But hey acoustic drums is the BEST.

I would really like to build a studio in my garden, hence I could sound proof it and get some acoustic drums, my home is too small for drums and the family would kill me alive, it's bad enough with the sax, I can only practice certain days and times, which hursts..
Well It's a dream, 'my own studio in the back garden' - it's all about the money, £15.000 approx...Ouch.
Although I may get a builder to put up the bricks and roofer for roof and electrician to do the electrics, I could do some of the work, but it would still cost approx £8,000.
I don't want to move either, too happy where I am and it will be paid for in just under three years, so may be after then I can save and get my dream studio, hopefully I'm not too old by then.....
Hey, that's a great dream - and I'll bet it comes to fruition - it'd be great to have a dedicated space for a music studio. I live alone but I do have neighbors so I feel it is best to stop using the acoustic drums before it gets too late in the evening - I am interested in either EZ Drummer or Addictive Drums (I was impressed with Iszil's work with these particularly), but will probably explore that a little later (when I need a NEW toy!)
#13March 16th, 2011 · 09:31 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hey Bc this is very impressive...The harp work is awesome... The gt solo very tastefully delivered and the vox greatly executed... The keys do need a bit more vol and the drums maybe a bit more thump... Outstading job Bc!!!!!
#14March 16th, 2011 · 02:20 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Marino wrote…
Hey Bc this is very impressive...The harp work is awesome... The gt solo very tastefully delivered and the vox greatly executed... The keys do need a bit more vol and the drums maybe a bit more thump... Outstading job Bc!!!!!
Thanks, Marino!~ Means alot coming from you - I'm working on the drums and keys. Hope to have something uploaded soon.....
#15March 16th, 2011 · 07:46 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Shuffle and Shake

I've gathered this far down the page that your working at it .... good
The rim hit, is it meant as a ..... what ? ............ what ? ...... is it meant as a rim hit or as your metronome ?
Because it stays the same even on the rolls.... confusing !
It is the snare sounds, in this recording, that are off the rest of the percussion sounds are reasonable.

Going for thirds ... what a superb song, I can feel the fun and you have wonderful expression.

Cant wait for the LIVE version .... 
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 2:51 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.