#1March 12th, 2011 · 07:58 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Silhouettes-remastered

This song is not in a battle

Old U-Tow production again
eq-ed the intro and cut the intro and the second part of my solo, makes it more compact i think.
filtered some sharpness..
The art of mastering is one i am exploring here, it is way louder then my last attempt,
http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/1527.html
But is better too?

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 12th, 2011 · 12:30 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Musically I can say : A great composition & dramaturgy . First impression after a few seconds was :
Wow , a new "James-Bond-title-track".
Wah-git sounds so lovesome, sensitive & expressionate to me . A pity that your second solo looses a bit of tonality.

Mix/mastering: Itīs seems to me the song is kinda "overcompressed" . You used high ratio , yes ?
In parts of the song whereīs going on a lot (second half ) and the vox comes in , one can hear this
well known & infamous  "compressor pumping".
Better using more moderately ratio adjustments (1,7:1--2:1 or 2,5:1). Not higher.
Also the sound begins to become "scratchy" , somehow distorted and "stuttering" at itīs end .

Compared to the former version itīs a bit "too much" of using ya mixing tools .

These are my impressions
U . L . I .
#3March 12th, 2011 · 04:39 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
The guitar tones and drums sound really nice, other than I think there is a slightly too much reverb in the mix.
I would liked the bass to be more full, perhaps raise it in the mix first, or add more upper mid.
The vox needs to by lightly higher in the mix.
It doesn't sound over compressed to me?
The crash is a bit too much, use it sparingly.

Enjoyed it 
#4March 13th, 2011 · 10:34 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
ty both a lot for remarks!
the mix is done on my HD recorder which havent seen daylight since the band died, so i let that for what it is now, there is much reverb for sure,  would want less now too, and the stuttering guitar is recorded like that, too so same prob there.

dont even mention the main solo, i never finished it properly and i hate it :p

back to mastering, ill check those settings soon ULI, yet i dont hear the pumping except for that stuttering guitar..
not hearing it bothers me most
reworking anyway
#5March 14th, 2011 · 10:17 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
I still love all the U-Tow stuff (as I've said before, I keep many of them in my MP3 player..and still listen to them regularly)..but I FORGOT about this one! and I LOVE it! It's so doleful and full of feeling! I love the chord arrangements, instrumentation, the singer's voice...everything!) Production isn't my forte, but I'll tell you this: The mixing on the whole piece felt a bit too "trebly" - which thins out the whole piece somewhat. I really like where you eq'd the vox so it sounds like he's talking through a telephone at times, then at 4:00 you let him sing full voice. You take him back to "telephone voice" at 5:10, and I think it might be better to leave him full voice during that very emotive part that ends at 5:59. I LOVE how you wrap up the piece with him returning back to "telephone voice" in the end....PERFECT!  To me, this song deserves an award, it's SO good!

Edit: I just listened to the original (read the remarks - this still reminds me more of Procol Harum than Pink Floyd). Anyway, I see what you're trying to do with this remix. You did achieve greater volume and clarity on this remix (the original needed that...now, you've got MUCH better dynamics...the bass is more solid now...the whole piece has better "punch"), but the overall EQ is perhaps a bit too biased towards higher frequencies now. It may be that the guitars are a bit too bright/loud and simply tweaking them a little (not too much!) may do the trick...
#6March 15th, 2011 · 10:53 AM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
It makes me want to dance, but only after having a couple of Jack and cokes
#7March 15th, 2011 · 04:54 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
battlecat wrote…
and I think it might be better to leave him full voice during that very emotive part that ends at 5:59. I LOVE how you wrap up the piece with him returning back to "telephone voice" in the end....PERFECT!  To me, this song deserves an award, it's SO good!

Edit: , but the overall EQ is perhaps a bit too biased towards higher frequencies now. It may be that the guitars are a bit too bright/loud and simply tweaking them a little (not too much!) may do the trick...

-i agree bout the voice, i have to check wether this is still on my HD recorder or not, i am not sure.., cant change that otherwise.
-i actually cut out a lot of hi/mid hi freq's, but maybe not enough.., one thing is for sure, my own guitartone aint the best here, recorded digitally and new to that at the time, i am stuck with it ont the stereo mix, but i swear (oh dear,,) íf its on my HD, ill give it a serious retry..,
one day 
but are the hihats and vox etc too trebly then too?
tnx for listening and comments all!

EDIT : I agree about that award too of course! LOL
#8March 17th, 2011 · 04:37 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Aaah! Just lost a long post...never mind, will just have to listen again ... and again
This is a really original piece of work .... a few elements short of an epic.
Listened a few times now, still hear Big Log in the guitar.
I agree the crash cymbal is slightly over enthusiastic.

I thought you could come in with the clean voice at 3:30, and then go back to the radio voice ... and I also agree with bc, 5:10 should be a clean voice.

Shine like a son .....

Loving this very much ... if you can open it up and edit the wobbly guitar and the cymbals, swap the vocal effects around a little .... hmm ! mes thinks , that would be the bees knees ! 
#9March 18th, 2011 · 03:53 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
tnx Kings, for listening and opinions.
I use to copy my text in clipboard before upload it :p  
I might drag the old recorder out of the closet soon, all these nice reactions seems to make it worth. just hope its still on there..
#10March 18th, 2011 · 11:31 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hmm this is certainly compressed to extremes, and yes overall EQ seems sharp in the upper highs to my ears. I had to turn the player volume down to 30%, it still sounds very loud but atleast the frequencies don't make my ears bleed this way. I think I'm hearing some clipping-distortion on a few occasions (mix is too loud!) Mixed maybe a little too enthusiastic indeed, BUT it's a more vibrant, living and powerful mix than the earlier version, and much more so indeed. Still there is room for improvement but overall I like what you've done here. cheers
#11March 18th, 2011 · 04:53 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
PuppetXeno wrote…
Hmm this is certainly compressed to extremes, and yes overall EQ seems sharp in the upper highs to my ears. I had to turn the player volume down to 30%, it still sounds very loud but atleast the frequencies don't make my ears bleed this way. I think I'm hearing some clipping-distortion on a few occasions (mix is too loud!) Mixed maybe a little too enthusiastic indeed, BUT it's a more vibrant, living and powerful mix than the earlier version, and much more so indeed. Still there is room for improvement but overall I like what you've done here. cheers

ok, conclusion is i am on the right way but not there yet, I fully understand and agree with all comments bout the compression, but too bad is that i dont find it as trebly as stated...
am i going deaf in hi freq or what?
btw , u know whats distorted? Death Magnetic by Metallica!
and ty PX
#12March 19th, 2011 · 02:11 AM
4 threads / 3 songs
91 posts
Argentina
Well, things that need work had already been referred to...
All I have to say is I've really liked this one. It has power!  And the concept is great!  As the guys say, this setting the voice free and then back to the phone works very well and gives a great psychological effect. Damn!  I wish I had the equipment to record complex things.
#13March 20th, 2011 · 05:21 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
AndiRux wrote…
Well, things that need work had already been referred to...
All I have to say is I've really liked this one. It has power!  And the concept is great!  As the guys say, this setting the voice free and then back to the phone works very well and gives a great psychological effect. Damn!  I wish I had the equipment to record complex things.

tnx Andi!
I wish i could play the piano as you, but i lost interest and time for studying when i started rcording :p
btw, can u record midi?  i know u can record audio, so if there is anything to mix ill be happy to help out. With less trebles/compression if u like :p
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 10:52 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.