1 2
#16October 25th, 2010 · 07:22 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Great job, guys! It sounds awesome.
I second that about the vocals sounding a bit "plastic" or with some effect that makes them sound a bit unnatural.
But anyways, it an amazing collab.

> Iszil
#17October 25th, 2010 · 08:52 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Denis wrote…
thebigguyconnor wrote…
I just gotta say, the vocals sound a tiny bit plastic with all the FX on them, but perhaps you intended that sort of effect.
I didn't really add much effects to the vox, just layered them once, reverb and small amount of compression. The original has been layered several time to give it's effects, plus the equipment they used must be the best, although I think they used tape to layer them or may have simply sung it once or twice, which is the best way, all I did was to move the layered track by about .15ms, that's probably why it sounds metallic?
Quite interestingly I've just purchased a Ribbon mic, you would love it - it has a full warm vintage sound, I must try it on vox one day, that will probably get somewhere near the Floyd vocal sound, It's awesome, I got a real bargain they are retailing for £359.00 and I only paid £100.00 for it. it's called a Samson VR88, only limited production, what a shame it's one of only few ribbon mics that work with Phantom power, hence Ribbons need a lot of gain, the phantom gives it similar output to a condenser, at least I think there may be other ones with phantom power.

That ribbon mic you're talking about sounds incredible, I've REALLY got to get myself some decent microphones.

I think the plastic sound I was mentioning is caused by the fact that you slipped your layered track, causing it to phase perhaps?

Anyways I generally like vocals quite dry except for reverb, I always go crazy on reverb :P
#18October 26th, 2010 · 01:24 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and voting, I'm truly very grateful for your efforts as I'm sure TK, kings and M are?.
I'm not perfect, nobody is, I'll look at re-mastering this song in a few days, hence I'd been working on it so long, it began to become ingrained in me, all the guys collaborating were quite excited, so I tried to do the best job I could in the time given, I could have left it for a while before mastering the track, I've read somewhere that sometimes that's the best way to master a song when you have been working on it so long, all too often we get over exited and can't wait to get them out there, I'm much better than when I first started out, I would create, record and master all on a day, although it was great fun doing it that way, but by no means the best way..lol
#19October 26th, 2010 · 08:55 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Denis wrote…
Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and voting, I'm truly very grateful for your efforts as I'm sure TK, kings and M are?.
I'm not perfect, nobody is, I'll look at re-mastering this song in a few days, hence I'd been working on it so long, it began to become ingrained in me, all the guys collaborating were quite excited, so I tried to do the best job I could in the time given, I could have left it for a while before mastering the track, I've read somewhere that sometimes that's the best way to master a song when you have been working on it so long, all too often we get over exited and can't wait to get them out there, I'm much better than when I first started out, I would create, record and master all on a day, although it was great fun doing it that way, but by no means the best way..lol

I'm sure even the pros sometimes wish they could change the mix after they release their cds :P.

Sometimes I think it's probably better just to spend the time that would have been spent remixing stuff on creating new stuff!

I'm very guilty on spending a lot of time playing with different mixes
#20November 17th, 2010 · 01:53 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
This is truly a masterpiece.. Although far from being my favorite Floyd song,,, it sure has a powerful atmosphere. Performance wise on all parts is top notch, and though TK pointed me to a few milliseconds off-timing in the keys parts, and yes I can hear that, it is not at all disrupting the track..

All in all this sure is one of the finer products of the Amp. Haven't been here much lately so I missed it's upload, while I was aware of this being in the making. Anyway, good show!
#21November 24th, 2010 · 08:39 AM
26 threads / 26 songs
96 posts
Russia
  good
#22November 25th, 2010 · 09:53 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Colden wrote…
:cry:  good

why the tears?
#23November 27th, 2010 · 05:55 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
think of it like this "johnny depp..he make-a me cry."
#24November 29th, 2013 · 07:44 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hey Denis! Could I get a copy of this via my Email?
#25December 3rd, 2013 · 02:14 AM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
covering pink floyd...
...is a wonderful use of time. This was a great mix, really captured the 'feel' of the original, and i was actually quite surprised that neither singer did an outright impression of roger waters or david gilmour! for me its almost impossible to avoid doing that when I do a cover; but you made it your own, while still retaining the original feel of the song... awesome.

When I was 16 I recorded a cover of "Vera Lynn" note for note, played the keys, guitars, synth orchestra, sang in a British accent... alas, that hard drive is no more. Really wish I had backed up that one... also did covers of 'pigs on the wing' (I have those) ...

oh well, it was a awesome way to learn! thx for the post, i'd like to hear more Floyd covers
#26December 3rd, 2013 · 05:17 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: covering pink floyd...
leVee wrote…
...is a wonderful use of time. This was a great mix, really captured the 'feel' of the original, and i was actually quite surprised that neither singer did an outright impression of roger waters or david gilmour! for me its almost impossible to avoid doing that when I do a cover; but you made it your own, while still retaining the original feel of the song... awesome.

When I was 16 I recorded a cover of "Vera Lynn" note for note, played the keys, guitars, synth orchestra, sang in a British accent... alas, that hard drive is no more. Really wish I had backed up that one... also did covers of 'pigs on the wing' (I have those) ...

oh well, it was a awesome way to learn! thx for the post, i'd like to hear more Floyd covers
Thanks, listening to it again now sounds like the Vox are way too loud, if I remember it was a pig to mix this track, normally it's second nature. Yeah I'd like to do more PF covers in the future, perhaps another AMP collab....
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 2:24 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.