1 2
#16September 2nd, 2010 · 02:04 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Denis wrote…
About a year ago I was willing to pay up to £500.00 for an acoustic guitar, so I went to this shop and tried out a top of the range Tanglewood, they are very popular in the UK, Well I was rather disappointed and thought my trusty old EKO sounded better. So having bought this new Chinese acoustic, which is called a 'Godman', hmm yes funny name for a guitar. In comparing it to my EKO I found that the EKO bass tones are bassier and have more sustain, the Godman treble strings are brighter and have more sustain than the EKO - Strange that they are opposite. Also the Godman intonation is 100% spot on even way past the twelfth frets.

I've been playing the new guitar for 2 months, I don't know if it's my imagination, but it seems as though the sound is getting better, particularly the bass notes, the sustain is getting longer. Well I hope it's not my imagination, the proof will be in the recordings I upload. in a year or so time comparing the difference in sound over time.

Well if ever I can afford it, I would like to buy a D-18 Martin or similar, then I can really put it to the test and record on what I already have and a quality job. I'm trying to find some youTube vids who have experimented the same. I've seen other vids of bass guitar comparisons, but not acoustic.

First off yes that sentence sums it up,

Also I know what you mean about the sound getting better over time. It may have something to do with soundwaves working in on the wood, so it resonates better.. no idea.

I did a comparison between a vintage Gibson ES model and my Vantage ES model - there was a clear similarity of tone, the Vantage was a very close approximation to the real thing. I would go as far to say that it was only the difference of string sets, there was a very heavy set on the Gibson while only a .10 set on my Vantage. But upon visual inspection is was obvious that the materials of the Gibson were somewhat better, the guitar itself weighed more too.

Anyway it's cool that you have gotten lucky with the purchase, and that it plays/sounds so well. I only hope now that the craftsmen in that chinese factory aren't wretchedly underpaid and are being treated to union standards atleast
#17April 23rd, 2011 · 12:25 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
102 posts
Suriname
I find it quiet difficult recording percusion, especially the bongo's
Nice recording!
#18April 23rd, 2011 · 12:47 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MrBenPablo wrote…
I find it quiet difficult recording percussion, especially the bongo's
Nice recording!

Ah... Bongos - First off you need to get the skins nice and tight - I've only got cheap ones, I know I tightened the skins as much as I could to the extent that the metal supports start to bend...lol - DONT go crazy though, just tighten up until you get a nice tone.
I use  two mics about a foot away two get a stereo field and use quite a bit of compression, I can't remember which type I use, but I know I just experimented with all the presets on my work station until it sounded nice.

Let me know how you get on
#19April 23rd, 2011 · 01:30 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
102 posts
Suriname
Okey, I should do that yeah, thighten up the skins and use compresion.
Tanks for the advise!
#20April 23rd, 2011 · 04:28 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MrBenPablo wrote…
Okey, I should do that yeah, thighten up the skins and use compresion.
Tanks for the advise!

It also helps to have a decent preamp, you don't need to spend a lot, I know you only have one mic, a condeser is more versatile so if you do buy another I would condider it, may be get something used.

What is your current set-up?
#21April 23rd, 2011 · 04:36 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
102 posts
Suriname
I have a SHURE mic, but the problem is that it mono,like all the mics, but my comp input is stereo. so I only get the half of the sound coming in
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 6:46 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.