1 2

#1August 30th, 2010 · 03:01 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Lovers Retreat

This song is not in a battle

I purchased a cheap Acoustic Electro cut away guitar recently for only £55.00. It's supposedly made in the best Chinese Music Instrument factory and is modeled after a Takermine. It's got a sold spruce top, mahogany back and sides with rosewood finger board, even the tuners are good quality.

This is my first recording with it, what do you think of the tone?

Decided to use live percussion, all played by me including, Bongos, Maracas, Tambourine, Bells and Triangle
Also used both picups on my Bass, I usually only use the neck picup.

There are a few mistakes, it has zillions of chords, I could have perfected it, but it sounds OK to me

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 30th, 2010 · 04:56 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Man that actually sounds really great, I'm loving the tone, and I really like the sound your getting with your bass! mmmm mmm good!!
The guitar sounds great, nice and bright, crisp and clear...sounds like you got a great deal in sound for such a good deal on an acoustic/electric.

excellent playing and percussion by the way. made me smile
#3August 30th, 2010 · 05:19 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Man that actually sounds really great, I'm loving the tone, and I really like the sound your getting with your bass! mmmm mmm good!!
The guitar sounds great, nice and bright, crisp and clear...sounds like you got a great deal in sound for such a good deal on an acoustic/electric.

excellent playing and percussion by the way. made me smile :D

I should have also mentioned that I mic'd the guitar, I prefer it.
#4August 31st, 2010 · 03:52 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
ahem... say what? You have blown my mind on this one sir..Tone is exquisite and performance to die for..What an incredible soundscape of tonal genius amigo...Absolutely warm on the ear and very emotive in its performance... Im sold on the guitar indeed!
#5August 31st, 2010 · 04:59 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Hey Denis, I took another listen to this and I wanted to know how you recorded and got all the levels right for the bass. I really want to get some good bass tones in my recordings so it can stand out in the mix yet blend in nicely, so I was wondering how'd you do it.

And for the guitar you are just micing it? It sounds amazing
#6August 31st, 2010 · 05:27 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Hey Denis, I took another listen to this and I wanted to know how you recorded and got all the levels right for the bass. I really want to get some good bass tones in my recordings so it can stand out in the mix yet blend in nicely, so I was wondering how'd you do it.

And for the guitar you are just micing it? It sounds amazing

BASS SET-UP

Ibanez Musician Bass (think it was made early eighties}
Line 6 Bass pod (used pre-set Eq, with classic Jazz patch)
Instead of using the line 6 preamp output, I simply took the amp model output from the pod into my Art Gold Mic preamp instrument input and set the tube level as high as possible, that is what creates the warmth in the bass tone, tubes also act like a compressor, so I did not have to add much compression from my DAW.

I achieved this simply by playing around with different ways to produce a nice tone with the equipment I have.

ACOUSTIC GUITAR SET-UP

I use an AKG 1000s condenser and a Shure SM57 dynamic mic, the shure is placed at the level on the  mid top of the guitar pointing mid-way down the fret board, about 12 inches and the AKG is placed to the right of the shure pointing at the 12th fret. Again I've experimented a lot to get the sound. In short the Shure gives a warm bassy sound and the AKG pics the highs including the subtle tone of the acoustics, thus blending them together gives a balanced FULL sound

EDit** Also put through my Art Gold Mic tube preamp

Hope this helps 
#7August 31st, 2010 · 06:26 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
28 posts
United States of America
Sounds beautiful! The guitar tone is wonderful. Very intimate.
#8August 31st, 2010 · 06:38 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Oh man, you know how to get AMAZING tones out of your instruments!
Great execution, too.
It looks like you made a great deal buying that guitar.

> Iszil
#9August 31st, 2010 · 09:19 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Lovers Retreat
Denis wrote…
I purchased a cheap Acoustic Electro cut away guitar recently for only £55.00. It's supposedly made in the best Chinese Music Instrument factory and is modeled after a Takermine. It's got a sold spruce top, mahogany back and sides with rosewood finger board, even the tuners are good quality.

This is my first recording with it, what do you think of the tone?

Decided to use live percussion, all played by me including, Bongos, Maracas, Tambourine, Bells and Triangle
Also used both picups on my Bass, I usually only use the neck picup.

There are a few mistakes, it has zillions of chords, I could have perfected it, but it sounds OK to me

BURN THE GIBSON!!!!  

this guy works .................. intoation seems ok .....

It does what it says on the can..........

How is it high up???

SOUNDS GREAT.....

BOSSA FISH
#10August 31st, 2010 · 10:22 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
Wow great sounding instruments. Really nice and clean.

You really have a nice setup for recording. Sounds like you have done a lot of experimenting to find what works just right.
#11September 1st, 2010 · 01:52 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
A good musician can make the cheapest guitar sound like a million bucks... A good sound engineer can line the crappiest amplifier with gold.. and you are both a great musician and a great sound engineer, so what's to say? I love the sound you're getting. Although a friend of mine who is a true guitar freak has taught me how to detect the differences between "standard" instruments and "top quality" ones, so I can hear less "unique signature" in the actual sound of the guitar, the way it's recorded / mixed is absolutely top class. I'd say it's a keeper, and a brilliant purchase!
#12September 1st, 2010 · 05:18 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
A good musician can make the cheapest guitar sound like a million bucks... A good sound engineer can line the crappiest amplifier with gold.. and you are both a great musician and a great sound engineer, so what's to say? I love the sound you're getting. Although a friend of mine who is a true guitar freak has taught me how to detect the differences between "standard" instruments and "top quality" ones, so I can hear less "unique signature" in the actual sound of the guitar, the way it's recorded / mixed is absolutely top class. I'd say it's a keeper, and a brilliant purchase!

Teach us how to tell the difference between a standard and top quality acoustic, I'm very keen to learn
#13September 1st, 2010 · 11:19 AM
8 threads / 8 songs
257 posts
Netherlands
Well perhaps i can ex plane a little the difference,..
.pronaunchement!! ,..is the most important one to think of a real quality guitar ,..thus that in every position especially the high positions( on the gbe strings) the volume and balance is equal ,..that's one aspect but the i think the most important one to qualify a real good guitar.
#14September 1st, 2010 · 01:24 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Denis wrote…
Teach us how to tell the difference between a standard and top quality acoustic, I'm very keen to learn

voltstupor wrote…
.pronaunchement!! ,..is the most important one to think of a real quality guitar ,..thus that in every position especially the high positions( on the gbe strings) the volume and balance is equal ,..that's one aspect but the i think the most important one to qualify a real good guitar.

Indeed really many-sided story, and I only know part of it; the best guy to talk about this is indeed voltstupor, he is the guitar freak I mentioned in my post. There is a whole lot to tell about not only type of wood used, the treatment of the wood (which I understand may contain quite some delicate subtleties), also the tension of the wood of the soundboard, all sorts of variations of shapes and thickness, other materials used for other parts -  all of this will influence the shape of the tone and the balance of harmonies that come to expression in a string's vibration. On high-end guitars, a lot of attention has been paid to building the instrument to very specific setups to give this instrument that specific signature sound for which it was built. On more generic/standard/mass production guitars, all the materials may be just as good as on a high-end guitar (but usually aren't) - but the only attention goes out to make an instrument sound decent enough and play well enough to sell in proper numbers   Ok that may be a little harsh.. in fact the more technology advances, the smaller the gap between the high-end and "cheap" guitars - even if this last part counts for electric guitars more than for acoustic ones.

That said.. how to really learn how to recognize what's good and what's really good, I am usually not very picky, but I've played on instruments 30 times the value of my cheapish nylon, and they had so much more brightness and volume that I have to agree with their ridiculous price tags, if it's any measure, even though I am completely content with my own guitar as it does what I want it to do
#15September 1st, 2010 · 04:12 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
Denis wrote…

voltstupor wrote…

Indeed really many-sided story, and I only know part of it; the best guy to talk about this is indeed voltstupor, he is the guitar freak I mentioned in my post. There is a whole lot to tell about not only type of wood used, the treatment of the wood (which I understand may contain quite some delicate subtleties), also the tension of the wood of the soundboard, all sorts of variations of shapes and thickness, other materials used for other parts -  all of this will influence the shape of the tone and the balance of harmonies that come to expression in a string's vibration. On high-end guitars, a lot of attention has been paid to building the instrument to very specific setups to give this instrument that specific signature sound for which it was built. On more generic/standard/mass production guitars, all the materials may be just as good as on a high-end guitar (but usually aren't) - but the only attention goes out to make an instrument sound decent enough and play well enough to sell in proper numbers   Ok that may be a little harsh.. in fact the more technology advances, the smaller the gap between the high-end and "cheap" guitars - even if this last part counts for electric guitars more than for acoustic ones.

That said.. how to really learn how to recognize what's good and what's really good, I am usually not very picky, but I've played on instruments 30 times the value of my cheapish nylon, and they had so much more brightness and volume that I have to agree with their ridiculous price tags, if it's any measure, even though I am completely content with my own guitar as it does what I want it to do ;)

Thanks for the info Px, I did some surfing to find a sentence that sums up the difference in Acoustic guitars

"What's the difference in sound between a $300 guitar and a $3000 one? Budget guitars are less resonate and have a smaller tonal and dynamic range than expensive guitars."

About a year ago I was willing to pay up to £500.00 for an acoustic guitar, so I went to this shop and tried out a top of the range Tanglewood, they are very popular in the UK, Well I was rather disappointed and thought my trusty old EKO sounded better. So having bought this new Chinese acoustic, which is called a 'Godman', hmm yes funny name for a guitar. In comparing it to my EKO I found that the EKO bass tones are bassier and have more sustain, the Godman treble strings are brighter and have more sustain than the EKO - Strange that they are opposite. Also the Godman intonation is 100% spot on even way past the twelfth frets.

I've been playing the new guitar for 2 months, I don't know if it's my imagination, but it seems as though the sound is getting better, particularly the bass notes, the sustain is getting longer. Well I hope it's not my imagination, the proof will be in the recordings I upload. in a year or so time comparing the difference in sound over time.

Well if ever I can afford it, I would like to buy a D-18 Martin or similar, then I can really put it to the test and record on what I already have and a quality job. I'm trying to find some youTube vids who have experimented the same. I've seen other vids of bass guitar comparisons, but not acoustic.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:38 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.