1 2

#1January 4th, 2010 · 03:28 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
So What - Rendition

This song is not in a battle

Miles Davis said something like" it's not about the amount of notes you play and how quick you can play them, but how you play them"....I've always tried to maintain that philosophy, if you listen to many of your favorite licks ,melodies, riffs etc, they are generally played at either a medium to slow pace.  So here is a Classic, a simple melody line, I hope I've done this true Classic justice??

This is the fifth song for my new album, I'm going to include a couple of my own.  Tunecore.com the publisher I use, suggest in their marketing to produce an album of songs that people like (covers) and to include some of your own materiel, in that way there is more chance that people will want to listen to your album.  After all the only people that know me are you lovely people, my friends and family.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 4th, 2010 · 04:20 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
When I first read the title I thought this was going to be a cove of Pinks 'So What'. Which would be cool, because I was going suggest that it would be interesting to hear jazzy covers of modern songs. But, as for this, this sounds really nice and very pro.
#3January 4th, 2010 · 04:34 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
it needs a Hammond!

and yes... true Classic! The guitar sounds good but a bit sharp, could be more dark. But hey.... my ears are old and I am just wondering to hear such high frequencies at all.
#4January 4th, 2010 · 05:23 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Denis what can I say man?
I love your renditions; they leave me speechless every single time.
Every. single. time.

My only complaint with this one is in the beginning the cymbal roll comes in just a tad harsh.
Other than that, a very lovely and wonderful piece.

You've got me sold.
#5January 5th, 2010 · 01:45 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
It all sounds so bright and clear... I totally love it!
The execution in all the instruments is perfect. The guitar tone is just sweet.

I'd only suggest to make the guitar solo more dynamic I just realized that you end stuck in the same notes. Maybe some scales and licks and stuff.
 I know that playing jazz is really tricky because of the modulation but I learned that if you aren't (mentally) fast enough to instantly change the key when soloing, you can practice it until you get it. That's the way I was taught at college.

> Iszil

PS: Can I request a rendition of "Green Dolphin Street"? Since I played it at college I've always loved the melody. Probably the best by Mile Davis. I'd really love to listen to you playing it.
#6January 5th, 2010 · 03:40 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Iszil wrote…
It all sounds so bright and clear... I totally love it!
The execution in all the instruments is perfect. The guitar tone is just sweet.

I'd only suggest to make the guitar solo more dynamic I just realized that you end stuck in the same notes. Maybe some scales and licks and stuff.
 I know that playing jazz is really tricky because of the modulation but I learned that if you aren't (mentally) fast enough to instantly change the key when soloing, you can practice it until you get it. That's the way I was taught at college.

> Iszil

PS: Can I request a rendition of "Green Dolphin Street"? Since I played it at college I've always loved the melody. Probably the best by Mile Davis. I'd really love to listen to you playing it.

Yeah, more dynamics in the solo, I think if I just raised the solo by about 3db's that should do the trick. Not sure if TK's idea of a Hammond would work, I just wanted it to be Guitar.  I'm not totally happy with the end, it's a bit messy...lol, I may just fade it out before that part.

And I agree with Meowmachine one of the cymbals crescendos at the start is a bit harsh, an easy fix.

Not familiar with "Green Dolphin Street", I'll check it out.

I'm now working on The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan, and St Thomas - Sonny Rollins, I love the melody lines.

Yeah practicing scales is the best for JAZZ, I try to do that everyday for 5 Min's.
#7January 5th, 2010 · 03:47 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
it needs a Hammond!

and yes... true Classic! The guitar sounds good but a bit sharp, could be more dark. But hey.... my ears are old and I am just wondering to hear such high frequencies at all.

I don't like the flat tone Jazz Guitar players used back in the 60's, I love the tone I'm getting from my Archtop. Don't want to put a Hammond in this track for the Album, I'm going to raise the Solo's in the mix instead, but feel free to collab with me, I could edit the solo where you could add the TK touch, that would be GREAT
#8January 5th, 2010 · 10:09 AM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
Denis wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
it needs a Hammond!

I don't like the flat tone Jazz Guitar players used back in the 60's, I love the tone I'm getting from my Archtop. Don't want to put a Hammond in this track for the Album, I'm going to raise the Solo's in the mix instead, but feel free to collab with me, I could edit the solo where you could add the TK touch, that would be GREAT :razz:

Have you ever considered doing covers of songs that are popular right now? Maybe not for your album, but just for fun/ us to hear. I think that would be really interesting to hear! 
#9January 6th, 2010 · 03:59 AM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
Nice walking bass. Very well adapted for guitar, gives the song new feeling when played on guitar rather than piano and trumpet. As usual production is spot on, you really know how to implement your own sound to all your recordings... shows that you really know your equipment well.

Like you and others have said, the arrangement of the ending to the song could be improved. I really enjoy this song and especially enjoyed you doing it here on bandAMP. I recorded Blue in Green a couple of months ago with my band but never mastered it to the computer, just got it on a few tapes... hearing this makes me want to upload my one, we will see how i go.

Anyway, keep up the jazzy sounds... always did and always will enjoy listening to your tunes.
#10January 6th, 2010 · 05:54 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
fais54 wrote…
Denis wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
it needs a Hammond!

I don't like the flat tone Jazz Guitar players used back in the 60's, I love the tone I'm getting from my Archtop. Don't want to put a Hammond in this track for the Album, I'm going to raise the Solo's in the mix instead, but feel free to collab with me, I could edit the solo where you could add the TK touch, that would be GREAT :razz:

Have you ever considered doing covers of songs that are popular right now? Maybe not for your album, but just for fun/ us to hear. I think that would be really interesting to hear!  :)

NO ...lol

Seriously though, It's probably my age, I don't listen to much modern stuff. Don't hear many good modern songs, they come, they go never to be heard again. What modern songs do you like?
#11January 6th, 2010 · 03:15 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
Denis wrote…
fais54 wrote…
Denis wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
it needs a Hammond!

Have you ever considered doing covers of songs that are popular right now? Maybe not for your album, but just for fun/ us to hear. I think that would be really interesting to hear!  :)

NO ...lol

Seriously though, It's probably my age, I don't listen to much modern stuff. Don't hear many good modern songs, they come, they go never to be heard again. What modern songs do you like?

I sort of disagree. But, I feel like anything by artists like John Mayer, Ingrid Michaelson, or Michael Buble would sound interesting.
#12January 6th, 2010 · 11:16 PM
8 threads / 2 songs
79 posts
United States of America
I really like this, the notes are very expressive. You can really get into the music with this song, and the composition is enjoyable and keeps me interested throughout. Great job on this.
#13January 8th, 2010 · 04:34 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
fais54 wrote…
Denis wrote…
fais54 wrote…
Denis wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
it needs a Hammond!

NO ...lol

I sort of disagree. But, I feel like anything by artists like John Mayer, Ingrid Michaelson, or Michael Buble would sound interesting.

Yeah Mr Buble is quality, I know he's produced some great albums, would you class him as Mordern??
#14January 8th, 2010 · 09:56 AM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
Denis wrote…
fais54 wrote…
Denis wrote…
fais54 wrote…
Denis wrote…
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
it needs a Hammond!

NO ...lol

Yeah Mr Buble is quality, I know he's produced some great albums, would you class him as Mordern??

Well, after doing some research, I see he has been 'around' longer than I initially thought, debuting in 2001. Well this is going off the topic of your song 
#15June 13th, 2010 · 08:03 AM
2 threads / 2 songs
12 posts
United States of America
The classics (Jazz & R&B) always live on...like the rendition.......And as a bass player have a thing for bass technique.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 4:17 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.