1 2

#1July 6th, 2005 · 06:03 AM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
Glory
Score: 62.1%
Battle: 2005-08

My first bash at a metal instrumental, will be interested to see what you guys think, thanx as always for crits m/.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 6th, 2005 · 01:13 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
I like this a lot.  especially the first few phrases of the first guitar solo (not the tapping one).

i have to be honest - this isn't really my genre, but as a metal instrumental i have to say i think its very good.  I'm worried that you may have fallen into the usual trap of making it far longer than it needed to be (i was a bit bored by the end especially since its a little repetitive).  you've got good musical ideas and good technique.  i think your composition could be honed a little, but as a first effort this is excellent.

so in short, postpone the audition with Dream Theater, but don't cancel it!  There's a lot of potential there.
#3July 23rd, 2005 · 06:44 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
wow so you have an electric guitar and effects pedal! so what, give me some melody! and behold... 1:45min into the song and we have something going! alittle better, now think of something different i mean its a 7min song! this aint no metallica so you cant get away with 7min of metal and like it all. i mean 3min into the song i was getting sick of the duh duh duh! duh duh duh!
#4July 24th, 2005 · 10:58 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
I liked the raw sound of this song. Agreed the intro was repetitive but the change around 1:20 was the best part of the song for me, I liked the melodic progression. Some nasty effect/audio compression artifacts hamper the track for me a little though...I enjoyed the first solo, sounded a little EVH-influenced to me in places...

Dont know about the finger-tapping, seemed out of place with the rest of the song...

However, it kinda had a nice bit around 5m where the second guitar came in with a few beefy chords!

Anyway, classically long winded but a sweet track and I can see that you are exploring youself as a guitarist which is fantastic. Keep it up!
#5July 27th, 2005 · 06:02 AM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
thanks for the crits guys, all very useful stuff, guess i need to focus my songs down with mroe fast paced changes thanx 
#6July 27th, 2005 · 09:48 AM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
Cut the intro down man. I was falling asleep. The drums need "heavying" up, then it will sound a lot better. Your solo-ing is good, it just got let down by the bad drums. Finger-tapping felt out of place, but it was good to have that change of tempo. Just, if your doing heavy metal, you gotta have every instrument playing heavy stuff. This has potential to be great, you just got to sit down, and think about what makes a good metal song, and then use that to influence this song.
#7August 1st, 2005 · 07:03 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
11 posts
Austria
The melody is great, reminds me on Iron Maiden just slower version, which meens it's a bit too long.  You have a talent, so try to put in a one faster part..
#8August 1st, 2005 · 08:24 PM
3 threads
87 posts
United States of America
So what's wrong with EVH. If you don't like guitar instrumentals, of course you'll think it's boring. I thought it was nicely melodic, and I love the panning, I don't think people use that enough. Love the lead guitar tone. Drums should be more than cymbals though at times. The hammer on part should have music in back of it. I think may have been a little out of tune in the middle.
#9August 2nd, 2005 · 08:51 AM
34 posts
United Kingdom
Awesome skilled well produced and catchy without beng tacky....I'm gonna listen to it again:-)
Really though. I've tried metal soloes and failed miserably. It takes some skills.
#10August 3rd, 2005 · 08:46 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
31 posts
United States of America
dunno
instrumental, and not incredibly flowy, some production issues i guess, the panning is cool, but used a little much i guess, i thing that panning is used really well when like you have everything coming in both except for two tracks, so, like if two guitars are going, put one in one ear, and the other in another ear.

this has little hope of becoming a number one hit, lol, but it wasn't intended to be.

dunno, it kept my interest, but it didn't like grab me enough at the beginning.

whatever panning with the drums was a little much for me too.
#11August 9th, 2005 · 07:55 AM
9 threads
98 posts
United States of America
re: Glory
INCREDIBLE! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! 1,000% It may be long, but it feels way too short! You have definately been added to my playlist! You should get your song on the albums were making to send into radio stations!
#12August 9th, 2005 · 12:01 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
4 posts
United States of America
cool
liked it alot not much into metal sound but very interesting song
#13August 13th, 2005 · 12:27 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
5 posts
Canada
Good fantasy-ish metal.. I think you should try doing more of this kind of style  
#14August 18th, 2005 · 12:41 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
better drums could make this a lot better! enjoyed one of the solo's very much, if the drums inspire to a better structure, it will be great! shorten things up a bit maybe?
#15August 27th, 2005 · 09:57 AM
2 threads / 2 songs
40 posts
United Kingdom
7 minutes???? Way too long!!!

Some very good playing through-out but it needs a bit more structure. The first solo needed to be way shorter with with some drums building up slowly in the backgound leading up to the tapping bit .

Very good song generally but it really needs to be shorter and have more structure.
Critisism aside you have some very good guitar skills keep it up
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 17th, 2024 · 11:42 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.