1 2

#1March 27th, 2009 · 01:05 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Night INTRO

This song is not in a battle

Ok BandAMPERS...I really need your help with this one.
I have to write and record a song for school about a book called "Night" by Elie Wiesel. I don't know if any of you have read it but its basically about the holocaust and the horrors that the author (Elie) had to experience.
I've come up with a pretty sweet dark intro with a menacing heartbeat and everything...but the heartbeat like doesnt show up if you listen to it without headphones. Someone said the frequency was too low for cheap speakers to pick up or something.

Listen to it with headphones though, and it sounds great. I really need your help guys. How can I make the heartbeat show up just on regular speakers. (listen with headphones and then listen without to see what i mean)

Also tell me what you think of the intro.

Thanks so much!!!!!

P.S. all that whining and stuff is supposed to be there...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 27th, 2009 · 01:16 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hehe I have no cheap speakers. I can hear the beat really well. You could maybe put a multiband compressor on it to pump up the higher frequencies while still maintaining the low thump. 

I must say, so far this sounds more like the intro to some apocalyptic dystopian sci fi movie of sorts than the holocaust thing... I guess its the synth-like radio tuner that gives the sci fi feeling .. Maybe you could add some marching boots sound instead, or a distant authentic german war-song fading in/out... It's an unpretty theme all in all ofcourse.
#3March 27th, 2009 · 02:23 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
Hehe I have no cheap speakers. I can hear the beat really well. You could maybe put a multiband compressor on it to pump up the higher frequencies while still maintaining the low thump. 

I must say, so far this sounds more like the intro to some apocalyptic dystopian sci fi movie of sorts than the holocaust thing... I guess its the synth-like radio tuner that gives the sci fi feeling .. Maybe you could add some marching boots sound instead, or a distant authentic german war-song fading in/out... It's an unpretty theme all in all ofcourse.

Yeah it does sound like a Sci-fi sound, perhaps have the sounds of War and people in a panic, fire. mahem, bombs etc.

With regard to the bass on the heart beat, best to mointer through a cheap pair of speaker. You could simply raise the upper mids for it to cut through.
#4March 27th, 2009 · 04:16 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
lol i guess you could say it does sound a bit sci-fi ish. i had the radio tuner thing cause like during the war people would try and use radios to get in contact and stuff so I thought itd be a good effect.

i am going to add some german voices, and footsteps, and then after the intro the guitar comes in and goes through another series of moods (but stays to the same preface...its the holocaust, and its hard) and then some cool lyrics come in.

yeah ill try raising some mids and stuff. thanks for listening and helping.
i'll delete and upload again once I get the german voices and panic and everything, and then i will delete it and upload the entire song.

thanks
#5March 28th, 2009 · 01:02 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
5 posts
United States of America
Ive actually read that book and this song does have a sci-fi feel to it as others said.  Overall the synth (or whatever that wind like sound was) has a intro that was too long but otherwise it fits the book nicely.  Personally I would have made the song more busy but thats just me.
#6March 28th, 2009 · 01:41 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Well, I'm going to submit that I think it's perfect.

I'm not sure if I agree with the sci-fi comments.. I can see where one might think that, but I think the dog and bullet shots make it clear, even without understanding the book's context.

The shots and voice have a perfect length.  Any more, and it would have been just a bunch of incessant noise.  Any less and I would have been confused.

Aside from trying to get the heartbeat up, I'd say it's perfect.
#7March 28th, 2009 · 01:42 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
dude, you have 777 posts.  Happy birthday 
#8March 28th, 2009 · 04:10 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Um! I can hear the heartbeat better on my speakers, there's a lot of sound and not much space when I plug in my headphones.
Cool samples, sounds really holocaustish , I agree with the suggestions of footsteps and some snapping German officer. I dont think the American voice suites it , it's too warm and 'home like' not course and alien. An American on a radio might work, in the distance, in distress ?
I really like this , it's well worked out and random.
I think sound scapes and taking the listener on some bizarre journey is something we are going to hear more of.....keep to it.  
#9March 28th, 2009 · 08:24 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
TonightsLastSong wrote…
Well, I'm going to submit that I think it's perfect.

I'm not sure if I agree with the sci-fi comments.. I can see where one might think that, but I think the dog and bullet shots make it clear, even without understanding the book's context.

The shots and voice have a perfect length.  Any more, and it would have been just a bunch of incessant noise.  Any less and I would have been confused.

Aside from trying to get the heartbeat up, I'd say it's perfect.

Thanks man! Yeah I think this creates a nice feel...also...everyone...please keep in mind this isn't the entire song...this is just the random crazy explosive intro the goes to a climax and then the guitar comes in (Much like in Speak to Me/Breathe....) and then the lyrics follow...I think to end the song properly as well, I will have some kind of guitar lick fade out as the heartbeat and the radio static comes back in.

Thanks so much man.

"TonightsLastSong wrote…
dude, you have 777 posts.  Happy birthday  8)"

lol yeah i noticed..thanks..lol rock on
#10March 28th, 2009 · 08:29 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
kings wrote…
Um! I can hear the heartbeat better on my speakers, there's a lot of sound and not much space when I plug in my headphones.
Cool samples, sounds really holocaustish , I agree with the suggestions of footsteps and some snapping German officer. I dont think the American voice suites it , it's too warm and 'home like' not course and alien. An American on a radio might work, in the distance, in distress ?
I really like this , it's well worked out and random.
I think sound scapes and taking the listener on some bizarre journey is something we are going to hear more of.....keep to it.   ;)

I've been thinking, and I partially agree with you about the American voice, but then I realized that it creates a sort of sarcastic hope (as gunfire and explosions are taking place) and the voice says "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here" (its jack nicholson talking lol) and I thought it just randomly fit.

I am looking for a great footstep recording and then maybe one or two german officer recordings.
If I do incorporate those, I would add them near the end after the gunfire...like right after the gunfire....i might add the footsteps during the gunfire ending, and have them draw out to some heavy breathing and german officers shouting something, and then more heaving breathing and the heartbeat continues AND THEN, the guitar comes in with some sarcastically calm progressions.

Thanks for the listen man!
#11March 28th, 2009 · 10:02 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Man I like it although I agree bring in some marching steps as a fade in towards the end and it should all tie in together quite well..This a great sound scape..Yo did great!
#12March 28th, 2009 · 10:12 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thanks man! Yup I just gotta tie in some steps and everything and ill post it as soon as I get that done.

Thanks for all your comments youve been a great support!!
#13March 30th, 2009 · 03:28 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Yeah man! A few explosions in the back... some filtered distress calls or walkie talkie action! Very moody! Had that whole "Time" vibe to it! Very Nice!
#14March 30th, 2009 · 06:17 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Night INTRO
Fantastic Soundscape........... WELL DONE!!!!!

the only thing i can suggest to get the heart beat out into a live audience better
is to make it much louder (and eq it) than u would normally accept in the phones/mix
and then experiment (spend time trying out) with the sound system u use for your performance....... so that the sound works............and chills the audience!!!

or run the heartbeat sound alongside(and loud) thru a seperate track ...... for effect?

The heART BEAT SOUND IS NATURALLY LOW IN EQ.......... thats the problem.......when it has to compete in the same sound track as other sounds it will be pushed aside by higher frquencies.........

FISH
#15March 30th, 2009 · 07:14 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thanks MindsAtPlay.
I have been editing it as we speak and will upload Night INTRO V2 sometime today. I will also delete this one after I upload v2.
IF you have any last words say them now or forever hold your peace.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 10:49 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.